Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast
The Inn at Manzanita(Manzanita)(Great Value!)
$179
Hotels.com
Sunset Surf Motel(Manzanita)(Great Value!)
$97
Arch Cape Inn & Retreat(Arch Cape)(Great Value!)
$229
Surfside Resort(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
$104
$78
Tradewinds Motel(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
$115
Sea Haven Motel(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
$109
$89
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel(Rockaway Beach)(Great Value!)
$108
Tolovana Inn(Cannon Beach)(Great Value!)
$119
Inn at Cannon Beach(Cannon Beach)
$189
Spindrift Inn(Manzanita)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsstate parkquiet locationoregon coastsmaller roomminute drivegreat beachbathhostsprivacydunesdvdsaccommodations
Reviewed September 14, 2013

The place was perfect even before we arrived. Our host, Mrs Smigel was clear with instructions and her requirements for checkin etc. Being we travel a great deal, we love policies & procedures which means: no microwaves (thank you for being green), no rubbish left behind, bring own beach towels etc. We totally understood all the reasons.
Our room was the smaller of the 2 rooms but it seems Zen Garden B&B is the hidden secret. We had our privacy, our own table (no need to share or talk to strangers) and enjoyed the healthy selective breakfasts on blue china with cloth napkins! Its the simple old style I love. Mrs Smigel respected our privacy, rarely saw the her and we lived as if it was our own home. The upper shower could be annoying and why get in a twist with that!!! Perfect spot, end of quiet street and private! We look forward to coming back.
OH YEA, the bed & linens were high quality, very comfortable and better than most 4 star hotels. Every day the towels were changed and the place was extremely clean. That means so much for us! Clean & comfortable & private....what more could we ask for? It was the best way to visit the Oregon Coast!

Room Tip: Try to book in the Hiroshirge room as it is bigger. All rooms are extremely clean!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank theblaze54
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear theblaze54,

Thank you for your appreciative and informative review.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here and the style of Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast.

It was very nice meeting you and I look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at Zen Garden B&B a few times each year, since discovering the place in 2009. Its quiet location, its close proximity to the beach and to trails in Nehalem Bay State Park, its tastefully decorated and comfortable rooms (complete with shelves of interesting books to browse), and Mrs. Smigel's delicious breakfasts -- all compel us to return. Though the B&B lies beyond the summertime bustle of Manzanita's main street (which is itself quaint and quiet compared to crowded Cannon Beach), the village's eateries and shops are just a short drive or a moderate walk away. For us, Zen Garden B&B offers a restorative escape time and again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bill M
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Bill M,

Thank you for your wonderful review; it is always a happy day when you and your wife make a reservation here.

Please come back soon,

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed four nights at Zen Garden as part of longer Oregon trip. We stayed in the suite. We were originally uncomfortable sending a check to pre-pay for our stay, but it worked out fine.
We found the location in Manzanita very good for exploring the coast (hiking state park trails) and it is about 30 minutes drive to Seaside/Cannon beach. Manzanita itself has plenty of little shops and restaurants. The local grocery is pricey (as expected) but adequate. The beach at Manzanita is beautiful but windy. It is fine for a walk but we didn't spend much time there.
The suite bedroom was roomy and has an attached dressing room/closet to store luggage and hang clothing. The bathroom was adequate, there was no shortage of very hot water and soft towels. I'm glad we booked the suite as we enjoyed having the separate living space. It was roomy and comfortable. The rooms could use more sound proofing as we could here everything going on in the house, especially the plumbing. We however are early risers (in general) so this wasn't really a problem for us.
We liked having a few options to choose from for breakfast each morning, and our breakfasts were the best food we ate while on the coast. We ate in the courtyard which is protected from the wind. It was a lovely way to start each day. Mrs. Smigel is very nice just not as engaging as some B&B hosts. She was available and helpful when ask. Our rooms were attended to when we were away and she was in no way invasive. Mrs. Smigel noticed my husbands martial arts uniform soiled from class the previous day, hanging in the bathroom. Knowing it wouldn't dry out, she laundered and dried. This was very much appreciated since it saved us the time at a laundrymat. This kind action was over and beyond anything we could have expected from a host. We were very happy with our stay at Zen Garden B&B.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LAG0963

Dear LAGO963,

Thank you for your very kind review; it was a pleasure having you to stay here.

If you are ever in need of accommodation in the area again, please come back.

Mrs. S.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I consider ourselves to be friendly, personable people, and we felt that Mrs. Smigel was very difficult to engage in conversation. She behaves as though she is suspicious of everything, and you do feel as though you are being watched. The experience was a bit creepy to say the least.

We stayed in the Zen room, which looked bigger on the internet. In reality, our master bathroom at home is bigger. The most annoying aspect of our stay was hearing Mrs. Smigel use the bathroom and shower above us. She woke me up one evening taking her shower, and every morning when she walked above us. When she flushed her toilet, it sounded like the water was running down our wall. The home has obviously been remodeled to accomodate the two rooms that are for rent, and we couldn't help but notice the poorly
soundproofed walls, and the poor sheetrock and taping. The accoustics will certainly prevent any romantic thoughts!! My husband wanted to leave when we saw our room, and encountered Mrs. Smigel's curt behavior. I convinced him to stay because I thought we would have to forfeit our money. I now wish that we had left and stayed somewhere that we felt welcome and comfortable. Mrs. Smigel did manage to smile a few times by the end of our stay.

Room Tip: do not choose the Zen room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank gourmetfoodgroupie
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Gourmetfoodgroupie,

I appreciate that you took the time to write a review.

I am sorry to hear that you did not feel comfortable here; I am not sure what I could have done to make you happier, but I did not know you were not enjoying yourselves. I thought you were having wonderful time. When I saw you going to the beach the first night you stayed, you told me your family came from Germany and it seemed we had a nice conversation.

In general, I try not to disturb my guests with my presence as most people like their privacy; perhaps that is why you thought I was not friendly.

It seems that the Zen Room accommodation did not come up to your expectations. It is true, you will hear other people in the house; it is not a hotel with soundproofed rooms. But you are staying on a very quiet street, adjacent to a pine forest and within a minutes' walk to the wonderful ocean beach.

For the price, you might find a place to stay that you like more, but I am not sure where. The best place to look is, of course, on Tripadvisor.

So I advise the reader to research the options very carefully as I want all my guests to feel happy on their vacation.

Mrs. S.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend and had a very relaxing time! It is a super quiet location as it is the last street in Manzanita, no homes across the street, and a short half block walk to the beach. Drive to the main street of town takes a couple of minutes, about 1.5 miles away. Could easily be walked too.
We stayed in the Hiroshige suite which was fantastic! It was nice to have a large hanging out space that wasn't in the bedroom. There was a large assortment of teas to enjoy in the suite. Ms Smigel's (hostess) British influence is definitely in the room as well as evidence of her travels.
The bedroom was nice with a very comfortable bed and great closet space.
We enjoyed our quick visits from Ms Smigel as she brought breakfast to our suite in the mornings. You get to choose your breakfast items from a menu the day before and you get to choose the time you'd like to enjoy breakfast. Choices were plentiful! Food was delicious!
We enjoyed the grounds, napping in the sun on one of the five chaise lounge chairs. There are a couple of bistro tables to enjoy a meal outside if you'd like. There is a cool jetted tub outside (does cost extra to use) that we didn't use...but looks relaxing.
We've stayed at a few places in Manzanita and this is now one of our favorites.
Ms Smigel, thank you so much for your hospitality!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank OregonPTgal
Mrs S, Manager at Zen Garden Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear OregonPTgal,

Thank you for your kind and informative review. I am very glad you liked staying here and were able to relax on the lounge chairs.

Yes, it is a nice walk along the beach to Manzanita, especially at low tide.

I enjoyed cooking breakfast for you and I look forward to your return.