“Dog lover paradise”
Review of Sunset Surf Motel

Sunset Surf Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Manzanita
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Best place I have found yet on the Oregon coast if you are traveling with dogs. Truly "dog friendly" meaning don't just say dog friendly and then cop an attitude when you show up with one. Right on the beach--and Manzanita is one of the best with miles of sand and off of 101 a bit. Plus around the corner you have lots of funky stores, groceries and some mighty coffee. My only (small) complaint was the wifi which did not work in our room. I am not one that looks for fancy over friendly so the combination of location and value is going to bring us back here many times this winter.

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank Aichilik

Reviewed October 14, 2011

Was taking a west coast trip with my wife and dog and found this nice cozy place on the beach along the west coast. Didn't know much about the area or place but decided to give it a try as we were tired from the long drive. They staff was great and the establishment was pet friendly, which was a huge plus for us. Feels more like a beach condo as opposed to a motel/hotel. The rooms had living rooms and kitchens. Literally on the beach, doesn't take more than 2 minutes to walk until you hit the sand. Great clean rooms, friendly staff, and just about the best location you can find for an "ocean view".

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Buddy N
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We had first floor room with great view of ocean. Grandchildren loved heated pool. Our room was so nice with 2 queen beds, dining table, micro, refrig, coffee maker. Very nice upgraded bathroom, small but very clean. Had our morning coffee on picnic table on lawn. Staff was cordial but not overly friendly. We have already recommended this place to 2 other couples because of price, value, cleanliness (first thing I look for), easy access to beach and unbeatable ocean view. What a pleasant place (and town) for a relaxing visit.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank keeper67
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Took a more expensive room ($125.00) because the first one smelled like chemicals (I presumed insecticide). Woke up to blood stains on the sheets, multiple bites and found 1 bed bug live. Was told they had never had that complaint before. Very disappointing as I only had 2 days to enjoy the area. Am also now having an allergic reaction to the multiple bites which my doctor says is common (7-14 days post bites).

Room Tip: Front desk staff did help me when asked and took 20% off my stay. Agree with another review that se...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank martha p
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My stay was very enjoyable. I stayed in a room on the top floor of the Ashley. The staff were all wonderful, pleasant and very helpful. I would recommend this to those who enjoy the ocean and not looking for upscale ammenities. Vacation really means to relax and enjoy.

Room Tip: Be specific in your wishes and needs when reserving a room. Nice job!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Dori J
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We were very happy with the room we had mainly due to the outstanding location. Certainly not fancy, but more than adequate for our small group! The hotel staff provided what we asked for, but never seemed pleased to help and never went above and beyond to "wow" us with the experience. We would happily stay again knowing not to expect too many frills.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I agree with the other reviewers that this is a basic motel with fine, although dated, rooms. The kitchenettes are great to have, and the location is directly across from the beach with an ocean view from the rooms. The price seems high for what you get ($145/night), but it was clean and the bed was comfy.

Our main problem with the place was the air quality. We had requested a non-smoking room because we don't smoke and don't want to smell it or breathe it in. I also have asthma and allergies, so non-smoking is particularly important. We booked last minute and got the last room available, which I was assured was a non-smoking/pet-free room. But this "non-smoking" room was right next to a smoking room, and the rooms all open by sliding patio doors onto a shared veranda/walkway. I had to walk through the smoke being produced by our next door neighbours, who were smoking in their doorway, just to get to our room. Once inside, the room smelled very strongly of harsh cleaning products. The room needed to be aired out in order for me to stay inside, but we couldn't open the windows because every time we did the smoke from our neighbours came inside. I was having so much trouble breathing that I had to wait in the car until 1am when our neighbours were sleeping and we could open the windows, let the place air out for a while, and then I could finally go back inside. Not a restful night, and I spent several hours gasping for breath outside in the parking lot.

Non-smoking is more than just a preference for many people, so if you have breathing issues, I would be wary. When I went to double check at the office that our room was in fact non-smoking, the woman rather curtly told me that it was and that there were no other rooms available. We left first thing in the mornig.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank K R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manzanita
Coast Cabins
#1 of 8 in Rockaway Beach
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
Silver Sands Oceanfront Motel
#3 of 8 in Rockaway Beach

Been to Sunset Surf Motel? Share your experiences!