$175
$165
EconoLodge
Spindrift Inn(Manzanita)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbudd buildingheated poolgas fireplacedirectly across the streetocean viewjunior suitegreat viewcan't beat the viewcannon beachfull kitchenoregon coastperfect locationsliding glass doorupstairs roombottom floorfirst floorqueen bed
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I agree with the other reviewers that this is a basic motel with fine, although dated, rooms. The kitchenettes are great to have, and the location is directly across from the beach with an ocean view from the rooms. The price seems high for what you get ($145/night), but it was clean and the bed was comfy.

Our main problem with the place was the air quality. We had requested a non-smoking room because we don't smoke and don't want to smell it or breathe it in. I also have asthma and allergies, so non-smoking is particularly important. We booked last minute and got the last room available, which I was assured was a non-smoking/pet-free room. But this "non-smoking" room was right next to a smoking room, and the rooms all open by sliding patio doors onto a shared veranda/walkway. I had to walk through the smoke being produced by our next door neighbours, who were smoking in their doorway, just to get to our room. Once inside, the room smelled very strongly of harsh cleaning products. The room needed to be aired out in order for me to stay inside, but we couldn't open the windows because every time we did the smoke from our neighbours came inside. I was having so much trouble breathing that I had to wait in the car until 1am when our neighbours were sleeping and we could open the windows, let the place air out for a while, and then I could finally go back inside. Not a restful night, and I spent several hours gasping for breath outside in the parking lot.

Non-smoking is more than just a preference for many people, so if you have breathing issues, I would be wary. When I went to double check at the office that our room was in fact non-smoking, the woman rather curtly told me that it was and that there were no other rooms available. We left first thing in the mornig.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank K R
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Booking a hotel in a small town over the internet can always be a crap shoot, so we were pleasantly surprised when the hotel was as nice as the photos on their website. We had a great time with the short walk to the beach. The only problem was a roudy family reunion and kids running at midnight, but that was sorted out with some calls to the front office.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We loved our stay at Sunset Surf...the location can't be beat...ocean was just across a two lane street, the sunset each night was beautiful from our balcony, and since we don't spend much time in the room (like to be out and about), we enjoyed the price for a more inexpensive hotel that doesn't have all the bells and whistles of much more expensive hotels nearby. They have movies and books in the lobby to use, but we were much more interested in exploring the beautiful beach steps away.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mauilover44
Reviewed July 28, 2011

For the price, Sunset Surf is a nice motel that is directly across from a long walking beach. Throw in a heated pool and walkability to all the shops and restaurants in town and you have yourself a nice little getaway. his is not a place for people looking for a spa, resort or retreat with 800 count Egyptian sheets. This is a Motel, not a Hotel, Inn or Cabin. But at $135.00 a night for queen kitchenette ( You could have cooked a nice size chicken in the oven) at the height of summer you probably will not find a better place so close to the beach. We had a 2nd floor room in the Ashley building with great view of the sun setting over the Pacific. I was very surprised by how quiet the rooms where, and we had children and a dog on both sides of us. My only complain would be that because the main door to the room is also the sliding glass door, there was no way to open an ocean facing window at night to enjoy the sounds and breezes of the ocean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My husband, daughter, and granddaughter and Istayed at the Sunset Surf for two nights. Husband and I had a unit with two queen beds and a full kitchen in the Budd Building, and daughter and granddaughter a room with two queen beds and kitchen facilities in the original building. Our unit was on the second floor and had two rooms, one with a queen bed ,chair, TV, and two small tables and its own bathroom. The other, much larger room,had another bathroom, queen bed, sofa, table and 4 chairs, balcony overlooking the beach, and a full kitchen, including large refrigerator and dishwasher. Every amenity was included, with lots of dishes, glasses, utensils and flatware, plenty of pots and pans (in a drawer under the stove) dish and dishwasher detergent, and paper towels. All four of us had breakfast in our large room, and cooked a nice spaghetti dinner one night. The location can't be beat -- right on the beach, and at the corner of Laneda street, the main street in town, with restaurants and shops. Housekeeping was cursory, but adequate. Front desk staf were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family