“Bed Bugs, Pool Drunks, and The Cops - Don't Do It”
Review of Motel 6 Madras OR

Motel 6 Madras OR
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Madras
Seattle, WA
“Bed Bugs, Pool Drunks, and The Cops - Don't Do It”
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We spent three nights in this hotel. My boyfriend had to work in the area and I was along as a guest. There aren't many choices in Madras and this was arranged by the company.

It's located just off the main highway, but our room was in the South building next to the pool and away from the road so there was no road noise. The room itself was large with a microwave, fridge, table, chairs, and decent sized bathroom. The decor was all old and 60's motel, but seemed serviceable. The only modern items were a nice flat screen tv mounted on the wall - cable included HBO - and what seemed to be very ugly, but newly replaced carpet. There was also free wifi that seemed to work ok.

They boast a free continental breakfast, but that consisted of pre-packaged danishes and mini plain bagels plus some coffee. When we checked in, someone in our group was told to come early to the lobby because they were running out of food (which they knew the day before?).

The walls are paper thin so you can hear your neighbors, but the worst part was that you can hear the drunks out at the pool who stay out well past the 10pm closing time. After one night of this we called the front desk and asked who to talk to if it happens again since desk staff leaves at 10pm. They told us to call the cops?! Seriously? It's your hotel, but you want us to call the cops? They said it would be trespassing so if we had a problem to call the police and provided the number to the local dispatch. Unbelieveable.

The next night was a weekday so there were no more drunks, but as we were getting ready to sleep we spied a strange black small beetle-like bug in our bed. I had killed two others in the bathroom, but it made for a restless night.

The only good thing about the place is that we didn't pay for the room, but at a $65 corporate rate, I think there are better options to be had in Madras.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank OpEd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
San Marino, CA
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We've stayed at Sonny's for the past three pre July 4th & thru July 4th for the All Rockhounds Pow-Wow Club of America's terrific rock show at the Jefferson County Fairgrounds; usually about 6 nights. The management is friendly, the rooms large, clean, hi-speed internet, fridge, microwave, TV and guest laundry. Very busy. Lots of folks there w/ speed/ski boats for nearby Chinook Lake. Very decent rooms for a decent price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Stayed just 1 night at the motel.. although the room was large and clean it didn't really inspire me. The sheets were paper thin.
We did have a microwave and fridge. infact the fridge was fully stocked...wine, vodka, juice and squash....no, not provided by the management but left from the previous guests !!!!!
Asked to use the internet the evening we arrived to be told that the lady on duty couldn't get internet access but would leave a note for us to be able to use in the morning. The following morning when we asked to use it we were told it was not for guests use!! maybe this was because the owner was too busy playing games on it.?? Breakfast was a joke.
We were charged 65$ senior rate for the room which in our opinion was well over priced. would really not recommend this motel.

• Stayed May 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado Springs
Reviewed August 9, 2007

I stayed at this hotel three times within two months traveling for work. The first two times my room was spotless, the third time it was reasonably clean, but there was a lot more noise from other guests the third time (including yelling in the middle of the night) although after being in the town for a while, I think most places could have that problem. The rooms are much nicer than you would guess from the street and very well-kept. The beds are fairly comfortable. Microwaves, friges and (fairly reliable) internet with a decent pool make this a good place to stay. Windows have two sets of overlapping blinds so you can keep the room dark. The staff was always nice and there is a small continental breakfast in a decent common room. I tried the Best Western a few times since it is in a convenient location and looks fine, but rates were high or rooms unavailable. This is a good alternative, expecially for families - the pool seemed to be a hit with kids, and there is also a hot tub. (There are not a lot of choices in Madras, and a few of the other budget motels I stayed at, or looked at, were dirty and run-down.) If you prefer something more quaint, The Madras is very nice and super clean. Overall, Sonny's is a good deal for the location.

• Liked — The rooms were surprisingly nice and big.
  • Disliked — The exterior looks bad.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank CoSprings
Portland
Reviewed July 9, 2007

I will never stay here again it was filthy the rooms were loud when I called the front desk to complain they just told me to deal with it and the other group will calm down. Well the finally did and by that time it was time to check out. Never again not in this town

• Liked — Leaving the place
  • Disliked — having to stay there
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank p-townizzle
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 28, 2007

I have gone to sonnys motel with my family since I was born. It feels like a home away from home and the staff is amazing. Everything is very clean and neat. I love the exceptionally clean outdoor pool and the motel is in a good location. there are a lot of nearby travel attrations and fun things to do. The housekeeping service is allways awesome and does a great job. I plan to return every year for a long long time.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank boaterbabe4ever
mazrtinez
Reviewed September 27, 2006

This Motel is NOT a safe place for women, elderly people or anyone, especailly fro calif, who is vunerable. there is NO security there. it is a clean place, BUT when I stayed there and 3 drunks tried to break i, 2my room NO ONE WOULD HELP ME! I called the police from my cell phone, and the manager on duty never came out. we were terriified. when the police arrived they quieted the man down (the other 2 fled) but DID NOT ARREST him , although he was intoxicated and left beer cans all over the sidewalk and one can on my car while he ewas trying to beat down the door. NO ONE would help us, We yelled for help, while we were tryhing to figure out how to call 911 from this rinky dink hotel phone, the motel was sold out, yet not ONE person even called the police.The manager on duty slept though it and when i calmed down enough to call her she said it was a "good thing"I called the police, but never came down to check on us or offer any support, and when we checked ou, the new desk manager had no clue what had happened the night before, and the culprits, were sleeping soundly in their rooms, while we evacauated the premises as soon as day break occured with a bill for a sleepless night. What a nightrmare.. Please do not visit madras oregon where drunks are welcome...
. this whole event was so ignorant and scary, I have travelled a lot and have never visted a place so unfriendly, and so unsympathetic. we left at sunrise.and are still in shock at the treatment we recieved, with no offer of reimbursmnent for A horrible night and no real empathy from the people we encountered in this miserable town, where drunks can drive around town and terrorize hotel guests untill the police are summoned and then the drunks go sleep it off, while the tourists lay petrified in their beds until sunrise when they can check out of this god forsaken community!

Stayed September 2006
5 Thank ckiernan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madras
Quality Inn Madras
#7 of 8 in Redmond
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Warm Springs

Been to Motel 6 Madras OR? Share your experiences!