“poor at best”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Madras Chateau Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Madras
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The "pool" was cold and cloudy. Dirty is a better word. We checked in and asked for extra pillows. I was told to come back in an hour and get them myself. The room was clean but the exterior was filthy and there were no screens in most windows. The grounds needed tending and it needs fresh paint on the outside. The window sills were recently replaced but not painted and had spider webs in them. The bed was comfortable. It's pretty typical of Econo lodges over all. For $20 more I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bikerkop
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Madras Chateau Inn

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed there as we were traveling down Hwy 97. When we called Choice hotels to make a reservation we were very hesitant because they told us this was an Econolodge. I have to say this is no Econolodge it was surprisingly nice. The room was very clean and the service was great they even kept the pool open a little later so we could soak for a bit. The only recommendation I would add is that the parking lot could stand to be resurfaced.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John P
Reviewed July 5, 2012

The motel was clean and the rooms were well appointed. The bed was a little soft, but we made do. The staff was friendly too. We came into Madras on US 26 South and found it on the hill just before the Safeway on the left.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2012

This property is akin to a patient who is in serious and guarded condition: you want it to recover, you hope it will recover, but it may not. When I drove in it was apparent that it once was an apartment complex, with a central building but sprawling other units on the property. The next impression is that it needs work. Lots of work. Many of the units' grounds are unmowed, and there are little to no attempts at niceties. There are also copious piles of junk: old pallets, machinery, etc. scattered around. Pretty bad. It clearly needs to hire at least one, probably two more full-time people, just to get the grounds in shape. The second thing I noticed was that on this day, the place had attracted some people that are not the preferred kinds of neighbors. Sorry, no other way to put it, but there was definitely an unsavory element present, and it did not make me feel comfortable at all. I would not have stayed there for a moment, had I been traveling with my wife, but since I was alone, I decided to make the best of it. But then the Internet did not work and nobody could tell me what the exact problem or issue was, or when it could be fixed. So that was the final straw: I asked for--and received--a refund, and it was promptly granted.

My impression of this property is that some of the staff try hard but they are understaffed and the owners apparently do not want to spend the kind of money required to make it look enticing. How THIS property could be the #1 property or hotel in Madras is beyond me! When I left here, I went to the Cross Keys, and that motel is about three times as nice for nearly (within $5.00) the same price. No comparison.

Since the property appears to be a converted and failed housing unit, the owners need to put some SERIOUS money into this property in order to be in good shape: landscaping, landscaping maintenance, and some kind of unifying theme to tie it all in together. Right now, it comes off as dirty, disheveled, and somewhat slummy. If you're with your family or loved ones, I would definitely think twice about staying here, unless it is an emergency. Madras has fallen on hard times, and the town has some issues for sure, but you can do better--FAR better--than this property.

The staff I would rate only as average (C)--they definitely were trying, but they lacked knowledge about their property, and they were hamstrung by tightfisted owners. So until this property gets a major overhaul and staff re-orientation, I cannot recommend this to anyone outside the solo male truckers who need a place to stay the night. Little to no aesthetics at all and this property attracts some unsavory characters.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank NWRoadie60
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Excellent room, excellent price....clean and comfortable! Stayed for one night as we passed through to Arizona and would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2012

We got the room via coupon book and were pleasantly surprised with the service, quality, and cleanlines. Adjacent to the Mazatlan restaurant and lowest price gas in town. The complex looks like apartment block but that adds to the neatness of the place. They just joined Econolodge and I think the quality of the rooms and breakfast exceeds that.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2011

I can see why the Madras Chateau Inn is so highly rated in TripAdvisor. It is less expensive than other hotels in Madras and is very clean, attractive, and spacious. The women at the front desk were kind and helpful. It is on the north end of town and felt more secure than some of the more central motels.

Caution: The TripAdvisor map (at least, the map that I accessed from the TripAdvisor app on my phone) is wrong. The motel is located on the north side of town, just as you are about to leave town, on the east side of Highway 26.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank GlennC63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madras
Quality Inn Madras
#1 of 1 in Warm Springs
Hub Motel
Hub Motel
#8 of 8 in Redmond

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Madras Chateau Inn? Share your experiences!