“Hawaii type beach outside your door. Clean. Good price for great view and sound”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Hawaii type sand beach outside your door. Beautiful views and ocean sounds out your deck door. Clean. Fridge and microwave. Great place at a good price.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed July 13, 2007

We stayed here about 3 years ago and chose it again for its location and price. It was busy considering the holiday week, we saw kids shooting fireworks on the beach till around midnight, hard to sleep but we knew it was all part of the fun. We had 2 rooms, #531 a spacious king, FP, sliding door, large sofa bed. # 415 was spacious with 2 qns, sitting area, but a large window with door to balcony. Would have preferred a sliding door. Beds & bathrooms were fine, had a mini kitchenette with mic & fridge. Good value for the location and holiday season. We didn't try the restaurant or the pool. Staff encounters were pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2007

This is the third time we have stayed at Surftides. We always get the king-size bed unit with a corner fireplace. The ocean view is magnificent from all the rooms. Beach access is the best! --- A nice "semi-gradual" ramp. We agree with other reviewers...The balconies would be so much nicer if they were occasionally cleaned. We brought disinfecting wipes to clean the chairs and the railing so it wouldn't be totally unpleasant. Generally, the rooms are as clean as you can expect when you are directly on a sandy beach.

When we stayed in March of this year (2007), we had a wonderful time. The evenings were cool and we utilized the fireplace which was very romantic.

One of the reasons we like Surftides is because it is a totally non-smoking facility. Smoking is forbidden in all rooms, hallways, balconies, the lobby --- all the hotel property except on the public beach. I would not be surprised if people with allergies and asthma choose these totally non-smoking hotels so they don't have to worry about breathing. All guests sign an agreement that they will not smoke or bring pets anywhere on the hotel property. If the guest is caught, the fine for either is $500.

Unfortunately, there are people who don't care about rules or other guests. Our most recent stay, June 2007, we had the misfortune of dealing with a smoker in the room below us. We wanted to keep our patio door open because the rooms get stuffy if you don't. But every time this person lit up, the smoke would come directly up to our room and we would have to close our door. We called the front desk every time, and they sent maintenance to tell him to stop. The offender denied he was smoking. Then he'd go right back at it again. If we had a cell phone camera or digital camera, I would have taken a picture of the offense, so the hotel would have proof and fine him.

Surftides also has the Ki West Restaurant. We think they have THE BEST New England clam chowder...even better than Mo's!! Service is friendly, and the food is good.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Blazer78
Reviewed March 31, 2007

Who am I:
Guests: myself, a 28 year old teacher & my husband a 35 year old man stayed for one night at Surftides. This was a last minute trip to the beach (the tail end of Spring Break).

No Reservation Was OK:
We followed the billboard sign to the motel and found it was nicely situated right on the beach. We had no trouble booking the room even though we didn't have reservations. On first impressions it looked like an "average" motel. The parking lot was big and offered plenty of parking (this was Saturday night at about 5pm). There were three front desk people helping those arriving. We had to wait in line for about 10 minutes, but the front desk people were friendly.

Room:
The room was not ready upon arrival, even though we paid a total of $156 for just one night. It was kind of a bummer, but we just toted our bags back to the car and went out for dinner. Arriving back after dinner we found the room in good shape. There was a king bed, nice couch, coffee table, gas fireplace that heated up quickly, a minifridge that easily fit our champagne, beer, and soda, and a large/clean/bathroom. Oh - free wi-fi so we were able to play on our laptops.

The bed was comfortable and clean, but the pillows were what I tend to call shrimpy little feather pillows. I'm all about the big firm pillows so this was a dissappointment to me.

The room we had was right by the elevator on the 5th floor. We couldn't hear any foot traffic which I was something I worried about. Seems like the rooms were well insulated. We didn't hear much noise from either side.

The deck we had was "ok". When I opened the sliding glass door about 8 pigeons fluttered around and freaked me out. It was unlit and very dark. In the morning we realized that it was COVERED in pigeon poo-poo. Disgusting! It's one of those things though that you can't necessarily blame the hotel for. On the good side, the view was great! There were no overhangs that disturbed the view - all motel decks jutted out equally.

At night our room felt a little bit stuffy so we opened the deck/balcony door. After about 5-10 minutes we realized that was a bad idea because several families below where having beach campfires and their woody smoke smell filled our room. We solved that problem by opening our regular door and things were able to air out quickly.

Because we arrived late, we didn't even go to the pool. The hotel has a pool covered under some odd looking igloo shaped thing. There is a spa/sauna/pool/fitness room. I did not have any interest in going there so I have no opinion on it. It was separate from the hotel and you would have to cross the parking lot area in front of the front desk to go in. It looked like a lot of families were testing it out though.

So, overall the place was clean, spacious, and offered a good view. Negative things were that the deck was dirty, and the room wasn't ready on time. My husband loved it and commented that he'd love to come back. I would do a little bit more shopping around before I decided to go back. It was not in walking distance to any shops/casino or anything, so for all of our outings we had to go in the car. I would possibly go back, but would like to get more out of a hotel for the money I paid.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank teacherlaura
Reviewed February 11, 2007

We stayed at Surftides Inn at the end of January. We stayed in a kingsized fireplace room on the fifth floor and got the "two knights price of one" deal. The room was very clean and best of all, close to the casino. Richard from the front desk was friendly and helpful. We will definetely be back next year.

Stayed: January 2007
3  Thank adoro
Reviewed January 13, 2007

After arriving Sunday, we were informed that the "room was not ready" due to the housekeeping crew not being done cleaning.
I asked when it might become available and I was told "sometime between now and 4:00, go find something to do"
After settling down that evening in a small, damp 1st floor king spa room, we received a call from the desk saying that the next day the water
would be shut off for most of the day and I should use water before then! Keep in mind this is an in room spa!
I had to ask if I would be compensated for this huge inconvenience and was told they would discount the room 20%.
The next morning I received a call saying I would have to move to the other side of the complex and would receive only 10% off one night of my bill!
Voicing my displeasure was met with indifference.
After moving to another room, I found there was no wireless internet (I am a business traveler) and called the desk 3 times over the next 24 hours
and was told "well I unplugged it and plugged it back in" and "there isn't anything I can do".
I had questions on my bill and was told someone would get back to me. No one did.
The housekeeping crew looks like prisoners on work release and came to my door asking "need anything?" Wow.
After several calls to speak with a manager after we returned home, I was given excuses like, "sorry the manager doesn't have voicemail, I will have him call you"
The final insult was the billing was incorrect to my credit card and I had to straighten that out with my bank.
For $300 for 2 nights I would expect far better service and more than just a run down, average MOTEL.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank jayarr2k
Reviewed November 22, 2006

We have stayed at this hotel several times for the past 10 years with our last stay this past summer. It is a great beach front hotel. Views are excellent!! Our young children loved the beach. We stayed in a room with a kitchen, which was wonderful for cooking our own meals...kitchen was well stocked with utensils etc. Very REASONABLY priced...a great deal for staying right on the beach. Staff was very helpful in recommending local family friendly restaurants as well as sights to see around the area. We will definately stay again. The only downside for us was the pool..wish it was outdoors or updated.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family