“Beautiful Hotel, On the Beach!!”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is a review for my stay back in April 2010, my appologies for taking so long to write it. However, being in the hotel industry, I know how important TripAdvisor reviews are now to the traveling market. The SurfTides has come a long way in since thier renovation, the hotel is in a great location (now they offer a casino shuttle too) just down the street from my very favorite place to eat (the Blackfish Cafe). The rooms are nice, not over the top, but have very nice duvets and love the large square pillows with the mermaid logo. :) A comy throw at the end of the bed was used more than once for a leisure evening on the balcony that faces the ocean. A nice touch that hotels often miss. We ate happy hour at Mist (next door), honestly I would like to have seen a little more bang for my buck here, but the place has potential. Its very inviting, I was sad that my family and one other couple were the only ones to partake on a early Saturday evening. Perhaps a bit more advertising or a reputation for a valuable happy hour menu would help alot. The fire pit in the bar was not turned on when we got there, after I asked about it the barmaid told me they hardly ever turn it on because it warms the place quickly. Sad. I would have liked to dine with it on, as it was only April, I didnt feel it would be out of the question to have it on in the evenings. More about the hotel.. they have a very nice pool, that is seperate from the hotel (helps with noise levels for sure) and we enjoyed it very much in the evening. The walk to the beach was both a little creepy and fun at the same time, as you must walk under the building to get to the beach and through I presume what used to be the bottom floor of a hotel from long ago. It is well lit however and we made the trek a few times during our trip. They do have some work to do however, the continental breakfast was not as expected. Next time I will bring my own snacks instead as there was simply not enough to go around and the breakfast was not attended by the hotel staff. This is the sole reason for my 3 star on the service. This is a simple fix and can quickly earn back your star for next time. Oh and they do have what looks to be a courtyard complete with fire pits for relaxing in the evening. They were not in use when I was there on this stay but I am sure it was because it was soon after the renovation and perhaps they were not quite ready for use. One thing that was outstanding to me was that I also left these comments when I left the hotel on thier comment sheet, I was impressed that the very next day I had a personal email from the general manager addressing my concerns and thanking me for my stay with them. THIS ALONE would make me come back as I believe in managments role at a hotel and value it greatly. I will indeed be back in June this year to spend my birthday weekend and am looking forward to a beautiful room, and another happy stay. Continue the good work Surftides, I look forward to seeing you grow to be THE destination on the oregon coast.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Surftides Lincoln City

Reviewed April 26, 2010

Extremely friendly hotel and restaurant staff. We ended up extending our stay by one evening because we were enjoying ourselves so much.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2010

Surftides in Lincoln City is a superior, security safe and very accomodating establishment that you must try. If you love the ocean and the beach this is the perfect place. Its right on the beach, from your patio you can watch the surf . The view is incredible. Indoor heated swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room and work out room with huge windows and a very relaxing atmosphere. The staff is very friendly and accomodating and if you need ANYTHING they are right there. New comfortable furniture and a very modern design. Within walking distance to the Casino, or by bus. Restaurant just across the parking lot with affordable and a delicious menu. You don't have to drive anywhere. We're already planning our next trip. A TIP:: make reservations in advance so you will get a room on the floor you prefer. There are up to 5 stories in one section AND a handy elevator as well. I highly recommend Surftides for couples or families.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ladynewton
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife and i stayed in one of the redone rooms,it was nice right on the beach.Breakfast was good in the resteraunt.well be back soon

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank william241
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Surftides is on the ocean, which is good. The sliding glass doors out to the balcony didn't have screens so bugs flew in if you had the door open, which you must because there is no air conditioning. The first room we were in smelled terribly of urine. We moved to a non smelly room. Prices were reasonable @ $130.00/night. The reason we stayed at Surftides was because it was the only hotel we could find with a vacancy ~ considering it was on the ocean one would assume it would have no vacancies compared to other hotels in Lincoln City. In room coffee makers are the best ever. It's some sort of new fangled individual cup coffee system and the coffee from the maker was the best hotel coffee I have ever had. Every room had a fridge so we brought in our own cream and sugar. It was pretty nice waking up early, opening the balcony door to hear the ocean roar and drinking the excellent coffee.

The Mist Restaurant connected to the hotel, is an excellent restaurant and we enjoyed our meals immensely even passing up other restaurants in the area to enjoy Mist dining over and over. The cost is very reasonable for the meals and the staff are very friendly and enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Travelled with 2 teen boys to spend a couple days on the coast....we wanted 3 beds, and this was the only hotel of 4 we looked at that offered that option (1 bed was a pull-out sofa)...the carpet needed replacing...and the bedding was dated....but it was a basic room...the boys went to the indoor pool/jacuzzi/exercise room area and swam for about an hour...it smelled musty in there as it always did in the past....the lighting is always too dim in there and they have a rule of 18+ in the exercise area and 21+ in the jacuzzi which seems very odd....we paid $139 for the room which seemed a little high because the hotel was practically empty on this Sunday night...

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We were looking forward to a weekend getaway for a birthday celebration, saw the beautiful modern rooms on the internet and in promotional materials, and eagerly booked the trip to include our 12 lb dog since they are listed as "pet friendly." What we got in the end was one night in a crappy room with furniture that was worn and dirty, worn carpet, wallpaper/furniture from the 80's, and service at the front desk who dropped the ball on special birthday requests arranged ahead of time and who told us there was nothing they could do regarding our room quality when we complained--in fact, she couldn't raise her eyes from the computer at the front desk to even have a conversation with us.

In the end we checked out a day early because it was obviously just a big FAIL, but here's a warning: what you see in the promo photo is not what you get. Yes the lobby and the restaurant are beautiful, but the rooms themselves, at least ours, are worn and out of date. And don't bother to ask for help from the staff: they can't be bothered to move you to another room or even address your concerns.

There are so many other options in this area: you'd be best going elsewhere, and for certain, don't be fooled into thinking this is a nice high end hotel. It's not, and it's certainly not worth the $200+ per night rates. I've stayed in nicer $49/night rooms!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple