“it was a pleasent get away”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Elma, Washington
“it was a pleasent get away”
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My wife and i stayed in one of the redone rooms,it was nice right on the beach.Breakfast was good in the resteraunt.well be back soon

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank william241

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Edmonton, Alberta
Reviewed April 8, 2010

Surftides is on the ocean, which is good. The sliding glass doors out to the balcony didn't have screens so bugs flew in if you had the door open, which you must because there is no air conditioning. The first room we were in smelled terribly of urine. We moved to a non smelly room. Prices were reasonable @ $130.00/night. The reason we stayed at Surftides was because it was the only hotel we could find with a vacancy ~ considering it was on the ocean one would assume it would have no vacancies compared to other hotels in Lincoln City. In room coffee makers are the best ever. It's some sort of new fangled individual cup coffee system and the coffee from the maker was the best hotel coffee I have ever had. Every room had a fridge so we brought in our own cream and sugar. It was pretty nice waking up early, opening the balcony door to hear the ocean roar and drinking the excellent coffee.

The Mist Restaurant connected to the hotel, is an excellent restaurant and we enjoyed our meals immensely even passing up other restaurants in the area to enjoy Mist dining over and over. The cost is very reasonable for the meals and the staff are very friendly and enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
washougal
Reviewed April 1, 2010

Travelled with 2 teen boys to spend a couple days on the coast....we wanted 3 beds, and this was the only hotel of 4 we looked at that offered that option (1 bed was a pull-out sofa)...the carpet needed replacing...and the bedding was dated....but it was a basic room...the boys went to the indoor pool/jacuzzi/exercise room area and swam for about an hour...it smelled musty in there as it always did in the past....the lighting is always too dim in there and they have a rule of 18+ in the exercise area and 21+ in the jacuzzi which seems very odd....we paid $139 for the room which seemed a little high because the hotel was practically empty on this Sunday night...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Oregon
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We were looking forward to a weekend getaway for a birthday celebration, saw the beautiful modern rooms on the internet and in promotional materials, and eagerly booked the trip to include our 12 lb dog since they are listed as "pet friendly." What we got in the end was one night in a crappy room with furniture that was worn and dirty, worn carpet, wallpaper/furniture from the 80's, and service at the front desk who dropped the ball on special birthday requests arranged ahead of time and who told us there was nothing they could do regarding our room quality when we complained--in fact, she couldn't raise her eyes from the computer at the front desk to even have a conversation with us.

In the end we checked out a day early because it was obviously just a big FAIL, but here's a warning: what you see in the promo photo is not what you get. Yes the lobby and the restaurant are beautiful, but the rooms themselves, at least ours, are worn and out of date. And don't bother to ask for help from the staff: they can't be bothered to move you to another room or even address your concerns.

There are so many other options in this area: you'd be best going elsewhere, and for certain, don't be fooled into thinking this is a nice high end hotel. It's not, and it's certainly not worth the $200+ per night rates. I've stayed in nicer $49/night rooms!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LeloOregon
Oregon
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My husband and I planned on spending two nights at this hotel. We stayed one, February 15, 2010. The website looked wonderful and promised that most rooms had recently been renonvated. I made the reservation for one of those rooms, thinking it would be worth the extra cost.

The location couldn't have been better. Surftides is directly on the beach, and we had a wonderful view from our room. A sliding door provided access to a balcony furnished with two standard issue green resin chairs. The room was furnished with one king bed, a gas fireplace, mini-fridge, microwave, sofa, and flat screen television. Also in the room, an Ipod dock and a DVD player. Free WiFi is available in every room.

Looks can be deceiving! The "sofa" was actually a twin mattress with a dust cover and a bolster along the back edge. It had two large back pillows and one other pillow that served no discernible purpose. It was impossible to find a comfortable position on this "sofa" and the only other option was the desk chair or the resin chairs on the patio.

The bed was another matter. I thought since this room had been updated, the mattress was certain to be comfortable. NOT! It was without a doubt the worst bed I have ever attempted to sleep in. Hard as a rock...I may as well have been sleeping on the floor. After several hours, I gave up and tried to get some sleep on the twin mattress/sofa. Not much better but a little softer. I like a firm mattress but this was HARD, not firm.

Don't get a room with a fireplace unless you like being REAL cozy! We never did use the fireplace, but just the pilot light in the unit made the room unbearably hot. And we're talking Oregon in February! We left the patio door wide open all night, turned our fan on high and still were too hot to sleep comfortably.

A free continental breakfast was offered with the room or a 20% discount on a hot breakfast. The continental was typical; Danish, juice, coffee. We opted for the cooked breakfast and were not disappointed. The food was well prepared, and the portions were generous. The price was around $20 for two full breakfasts including the 20% tip.

When we were checking out after just one night, I told the desk clerk about how uncomfortable the room was. She said she had heard that complaint before about the renovated rooms. She assured me the beds in the older part were better and offered to move us. We declined and went on down the road. The staff was most gracious and I had no problem with the service we received. The room was also very clean...just UNCOMFORTABLE.. We opted to spend the next night at the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats and will write a review for that as well. If you must stay at Surftides, do not get a newly renovated room.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
picataggio, owner at Surftides Lincoln City, responded to this review, February 23, 2010
I am sorry you had such an awful stay at the property. Not what I like reading at all.

You did stay in one of the newly renovated rooms. I need to work with the staff to make sure the guest likes the room and if not they should be given the choice to go into one of the older rooms.

As for the beds, this is a tough one. And to be honest the guests won this battle. When we were choosing new beds we purchased a few various types. SOFT, HARD, FIRM - So forth.
We then let guests lay on them and give us feed back.

I too did not like that firm of a bed. However the feedback time after pointed to the firm mattress. So I felt like a minority about the bed comfort. So we ended up purchasing firm mattresses.

But this does give me an idea I should have done. I am going to look into purchasing tops that can be added for guests like me that like a softer mattress.
from The Gorge
Reviewed February 13, 2010

After traveling three & half hours in a full car, we get here on a three day weekend with all hotels full, we check in and our room it is almost $100 more than quoted! The guy in front of me had a reservation number and they had no reservations for him, said its happening again and told me I was lucky my reservation number worked. I questioned the price they said sorry you were quoted wrong. I told them I could have booked on the internet for a lower price than they were charging me and they said yes you could have, do you want to cancel? I said no I think I'm stuck here with everyone being booked for the weekend. I told them this was the last time I would ever stay here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank luvthebeach2010
Portland
Reviewed January 14, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel dozens of times in the last ten years. I have brought my parents every August and I go by myself for winter getaways. The ocean views are the best; the upper floors especially spectacular. The resturaunt is suprisingly good.
I am writing this review because I have been noticing that it might be time again to give some of these rooms a facelift or at least some matainence. The staff turn over is very high (never a good sign), things are clearly slipping. My gas fireplace didn't work at all. I bet it still doesn't. There was no in room WIFI, and apparently there hadn't been any in a long time but the desk clerks cheerfully said "some rooms just don't get it right now". Really? Exactly which rooms? I do not pay for an ocean front room to sit in the lobby for a wireless internet connection. That is a deal breaker for me, I do need to keep track of business, so I sat in the lobby with many other unhappy campers who would rather be on their decks.
Lincoln City is bursting out with wonderful new boutique hotels. I just booked one that I can't wait to see. I will feel a little sad to give up on the Surftides; I truly hope they choose to rise up to the new competition. Word spreads fast.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank MissPDX
I am sorry to read about such a stay.

Not having WIFI in the rooms in completely un-acceptable.

We have a great WIFI system that reaches all area's of the property. It sounds like out staff just simply did not pay attention if it went down.

I can assure you after reading this I placing many calls to understand what the problem is and why it was not solved immediately.