“Where did the money go for the "remodel"?”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We booked this room a few days before and my husband asked for the nicest room in the hotel. By the description on the website it sounded great....flat screen T.V., Fireplace, Top floor, and Ocean view. This room was $200 for one night...and just is NOT worth the money. The view was great, but that's about the only good thing I can say about the room. The room was very sparsly furnished. One bed/couch that could not be moved away from the wall, one desk chair, and one foot stool. This was a kitchenette unit, but nowhere to sit and eat. The king sized bed had nice sheets and comforter, but the bed was very hard and uncomfortable. The floors looked like they hadn't been vacuumed since the last guest. I would NOT recommend this to anyone!

1  Thank MaryJack2009
Surftides, Hotel Manager at Surftides Lincoln City, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2009

We are sorry to hear your room was not satisfactory. It is unsettling to hear about the carpet in particular - we appreciate the feedback. None of our guestrooms offer kitchenettes but do feature coffee maker, microwave and mini fridge. We understand the design (modern, minimal) and our new beds may not be everyone's cup of tea. We continue to be very excited about offering an authentic coast experience and the decor at Surftides reflects that.
- Management

Reviewed October 11, 2009

they had a new trainee covering a sold out weekend -
heater did not work in room-
you roll to the middle of the bed-
... sore backs was not our idea of a little weekend vacation on the coast

management appears to be in Los Angeles ..operating this place remotely.
folks, there are plenty of other wonderful hotels / motels in this area ... stay away from this one; they don't seem to have their hearts in it - well deserving other places on the beach.

3  Thank trvlviews
Reviewed October 10, 2009

My daughter and I both enjoyed our stay at this hotel very much. The staff was very courteous; the beds were very comfortable; the rooms were clean and spacious; the views and outlook from the open decked rooms were gorgeous. The sound of the surf at night was very comforting , so I slept well. The adjacent restaurant was also quite pleasant with good food and courteous and fast service.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2009

I read the reviews by some whiney Yuppies. Here's the facts, I have stayed at the Surftides since the early 70's. Do not pick the bottoms floor or maybe the first two floors on the south end. This is the older part of the resort. Better prices but you sacrifice condition for price. Look to the higher levels, if you want exercise use the stairs, if disabled or just don't want to climb stairs USE the elevator! I know the Surftides has had it's up and downs, right now I believe is is right up there! you should know more about the resort before signing in.

Highlights: Pool and spa, hot tub and workout room are great. They even have an adult swim - NO CHILDREN ALLOWED! That is great and the do enforce this policy. The views are great and easy access to the wonderful beach. Shuttle to the casino if you don't want to drive, and a decent restaurant right next door. If you want more, I guess you'll have to elsewhere and you'll have to look real hard. This is not a fake review, My wife and I come here at least once a year.
Eli Fats

P.S. To find the best rooms? Your on your own, I'm not going to give the secret away, otherwise the rooms would be booked all the time!

Reviewed September 16, 2009

This is a great place if you don't mind asking the front desk for things. For the money I would say I would find another place to stay.

The front desk was very nice when having to accommodate the forgetfulness of the house keeping staff. Things like clean towels and coffee. We were there for 4 days and they never replaced the toiletries.

The carpet was less than desirable. I don't think it's been cleaned in years. It's not a good thing when you have to wear socks because your feet get dirty walking on it.

Eating breakfast at the hotel's restaurant because they give you vouchers was ok. I suggest ordering your meal to eat in your room. The restaurant staff was very disorganized running all over the place. This made for a not so relaxing morning.

I loved the town of Lincoln City so I will definitely return, the hotel however, I will check with TripAdvisor next time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2009

I was on a getaway weekend and drove to the Oregon Coast on a whim. No plans, no reservations, nothing. I pulled up to one hotel in Lincoln City and was laughed out the door when asked if they had any rooms available... and it wasn't even a 'nicer' hotel! I thought the Surftides might be too spendy, but I stopped in anyway.

The kind young man at the front desk checked availablity after I asked for the least expensive room they had (not cheap, just on a budget!). I told him I was just running away for the weekend and didn't need anything fancy. He said all they had left was a king room with a fireplace on the ocean side. I held my breath and asked the price. "For you", he said "$99". Score!

The bed was comfortable, everything worked well, and the small service I did request (extra towels) was handled immediately. I left the balcony door open so I could hear the ocean and laid in my bed to watch the sunset. The restaurant next door had live music that night and I enjoyed some appetizers and cocktails. It was absolutely perfect for my run-away weekend!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank EtherealGirl
Reviewed August 31, 2009

It had been a few years since staying here, and was curious to see what the new renovations were like. The lobby was definitely different, nice with a fireplace, and the business center separated off. Board games available there, and cookies in the afternoon. I actually liked the way the lobby was before, but it was still nice. Not sure that there was a whole lot different about the rooms--the linens were updated, but that was about it. When I checked in, the ocean front room that I was given was on the first level--the lobby is on the third of this 5 level facility. Unfortunately, there is no elevator to the first level, and I had a heavy suitcase. I used the restaurant for breakfast--the desk clerk had forgotten to give me the voucher for the complimentary continental breakfast (which can be used to get $6 off on ordering from the menu!), until the waitress told me about it. Was able to get it and use. I like the location of Surftides, and the price was quite reasonable for summertime in this beach town.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo