“Only adequate”

Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Washington, DC
“Only adequate”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Surftides has a 50s motel feel to it. There is a teeny tiny kitchenette wth a mini stove, sink and microwave, and a few plates, cups, and utensils. The mini fridge did not work well at keeping things cool. We only stayed one night, but I wouldn't find it comfortable for a long term stay at all. Everything just looked a bit worn and shabby.

The rooms were only moderately clean - goldfish crackers from the previous occupant were still on the floor. The bathroom was spotless though (thank goodness). It was nice having a little balcony overlooking the ocean (and the beach in Lincoln City *is* beautiful!) but it wasn't pleasant to sit out there looking at the rusted rails, not to mention looking at the smashed cockroach on the floor of the balcony.

The continental breakfast included consists of a couple of types of fruit, boxed cereal, bagels, and some baked goods. It all seemed like it came from the Safeway up the street.

The service at both reception and the restaurant was indifferent. Our check in clerk barely acknowledged us, and informed us of the room number and other basic facts in a monotone. Plus he gave us keys for the wrong room and neglected to give us vouchers for the breakfast, and when we pointed out the errors, he just shrugged.

Prices are well below the other resorts in Lincoln City (we paid only $99/night) and now I see why. The only plus I can think of is the free wifi in the rooms. Next time I would definitely pay more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
portland, or
Reviewed July 19, 2009

This place is pretty good as far as the Oregon coast goes. The view of course is fantastic. Good beach access and decent rooms. It is on my list of places to stay at the central coast.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank yeahme
Southern Oregon
Reviewed July 11, 2009

I payed $119/night for 2 queen beds, ocean view, and continental breakfast for two. The view is great! The room had a few nice touches such as a Keurig coffee maker, fireplace, and nice shower head. Beds were comfy. A few grievances: 1) Sand on our bathroom floor and crumbs on our carpet upon arrival. 2) One of our blankets had a melted candy in it and another was stained with what appeared to be marinara sauce. 3) Partially obscured camera in the jacuzzi room (I think a sign warning that you are on CCTV would have been appropriate). All in all, I felt that I got what I paid for; and for a family with 2 kids this is a nice deal. I would not consider this hotel for a romantic getaway. The view is great but the finishing touches on service and cleanliness just are not there.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Kennewick, WA
Reviewed July 8, 2009

We stayed here in late June. The room was nice, and had a balcony overlooking the ocean. Clean and free wireless. The front desk clerk was a little snippy when we checked in, but otherwise everyone we had contact with was pleasant. Lobby served fresh chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon. It's well off H101, which is difficult to get back on to if you're turning left. We might stay there again, if we couldn't get into our first choice, Inn at Spanish Head.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Olympia
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We are actually at the Surftides right now (using their FREE wi-fi)! We usually stay at the Inn at Spanish Head, which is a great hotel, but it is very expensive. We wanted to try another hotel that was reasonably priced but also trendy and updated. The hotel doesn't look like much when you drive up until you start looking at the details. The original hotel was built in the 30's and has been remodeled a few times since then. The hotel entrance has beautiful oversized wood doors that lead into the lobby. The lobby has a look that you might find in NYC at a trendy hotel. I asked if all the rooms had been remodeled and the person at the front desk said that they had not. She said she would make sure we got a remodeled room. When we got to the room, I knew immediately that this would be our new place to stay. The room smelled good, the king size bed (with beautiful white duvet cover and great sheets) was very comfortable and the minimalistic and sleek look of the room made me very happy. There is a built-in couch that can also be used as a bed. Very comfy. There is a gas fireplace and a small but adequate, very private deck with two chairs. The bathtub is very comfortable and the large showerhead is very nice. The view is fabulous, just as good as the Inn at Spanish Head. Oh, the minute we walked into our room, we got a call from the front desk asking if we liked the room. We are happy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katrina51
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Nice lobby, nice room, very comfortable bed. Great ocean front view if you like long flat beaches. Close to stores and Casino, The smoking rules were quite harsh I thought, But I was fairly close to the smoking area. ($500 fine for smoking on the balcony) How would they ever enforce that? I have always woundered why they give such small garbage cans in hotel rooms but a large can was just a few feet away from my outside door. The fancy one cup coffee maker was kind of a pain to use, I always spilled water trying to fill it. We accidently left a pillow in the room, I just need the pillow case back, because it was hand embroiderd, I am thinking I will not see it again, ( I called)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
oregon
Reviewed April 16, 2009

This hotel is awful. BAD service, Bad prices and they are terrible if there is a problem with your room or whatever. Don't waste your money or your time with this hotel. There are so many, many other wonderful places to stay right on the beach in Lincoln City. Save yourself the trouble and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple