“Room with a view”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed November 11, 2008

We stayed in the Surftides at Lincoln City, Or. for 2 nights in mid October while drivng down the Oregon Coast. It was mid week, and I guess kind of off-season, so we were given what I thought was a tremendous rate for a large room, with fireplace (gas), and large sliding doors to a balcony overlooking the vast expanse of beach. The room was clean, sure maybe a little on the motel side of things, but the size of the view were an absolute delight after the tiny little room we had had the previous 2 nights in a b&b in Astoria, Or.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Surftides Lincoln City

Reviewed October 13, 2008

I haved stayed here 3 times now, so I knew what to expect. I had read some reviews of this place, and just can't understand what people have such a problem with. First off, check in went well. There was something wrong with my reservation, and the room I booked wasn't available, but the receptionist promptly gave me one with the same ammenidies.

Next, the view is awesome! I was on the 1st floor, so my balcony was about 10 feet off the ground, right above the beach. It had a fireplace- which I love because I can turn it on at night, so I can leave the sliding glass door open to hear the ocean. The room had been remodeled since last time I was there, and there was a nice ipod docking station with alarm clock- which I loved since I forgot my charger. They had extra pillows in the closet- which I see as a must.
The pool was great- it is a nice size, but the spa coould use some work, There was foam EVERYWHERE!!!!! And it wasn't very warm. Also the Sauna didn't heat up after the appropriate time to heat up was given.

I didn't care for the resturaunt. The bar was nice though. All and all the room itself was wonderful, and I will stay there again!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Our room was a Premium King w/ocean front. Great view, great gas fireplace, awesome sheets & comforter. Looked like they'd done some remodeling so the wallpaper was great, couch not so great (some stains). There was food left in the micro from the previous renters (fish-so smelly), no regular coffee or creamer for the fancy coffee maker. Needs another garbage can instead of just one in the bathroom. Also needs instructions on how to get the DVD player to work with the awesome flat screen TV! Overall, great just needs some improvements.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2008

We finally had a weekend away from the kids (our first in 2 1/2 years) so I booked the romance package.

We didn't arrive until 8PM and had an easy check-in. When we entered the room the items in the romance package were not in the room. I called the front desk and they said that they would bring them right down. I told them that we were going out for dinner and we would be back at 10PM.

We had an excellent dinner at Pier 101 and arrived back at 11PM and still no flowers or drinks. I called the front desk and she seemed suprised and said she would send it down right away. I told her that we were going to bed and that they could bring it after we left in the morning. She said that she would send down the dinner certificate and bring the rest in the morning. A janitor brought down the certificate 5 minutes later.

We left in the morning for our day trip and came back about 2PM. Still nothing. I finally went up to the front desk and asked for the manager. Steve came and spoke with me and I told him that I was pretty upset and explained the reasons why. He apologized and offered us free dinner at their restaurant and gave us half off of our room. Yea!

Besides the snafu the room was nice albeit very warm even with the windows open. The staff was very friendly and we will return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2008

We stayed at the Surftides for two nights. We had a fourth floor room.

Good points: If you get an ocean view it is nice long beach
You can feed the seagulls from your balcony great fun
Reasonable rates
It is right on the beach and near the casino and shopping

Areas that could be better
Our room was very warm so we never used the fireplace and kept the sliding door open. This was with the heat turn off.

The front door dead dolt would not lock

The bathroom mirror has a bare bulb comming out of it like you may have in your garage. Pretty tacky

The pool is a concrete dome across the parking lot you you must run across it which when cool or wet is not fun to get to it.

It was OK but I would not return as I would spend more and stay at a bit nicer place. I do think there is a new owner Mr Cho? and he is trying to make improvements.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2008

My family stayed at the Surftides on August 5th for one night. We had a total of 4 rooms for our family. The hotel was like a breath of fresh air, after a miserable Amtrak trip. The staff was very courteous, helpful and efficient.
Three of our rooms were double queen, on the third floor - parking lot level with a spectacular view of the ocean. The fourth room was on the first floor, down two levels and on a ledge overlooking the sand. Our balcony was right over the sand - just perfect. My mother, who is in a wheelchair, loved the fact that she could wheel out onto the patio or just sit in front of the large window and watch the ocean and her grandchildren playing in the sand. Despite other reviews, our patios were clean and pleasant but I would bet this is hard to maintain due to the all the seagulls floating around.
The hotel is going through some major renovation, but it made no impact at all on us or our rooms.
The rooms were pleasant and decent size. We liked the new ipod docking station/alarm clock as well as the nice tv.
The only ding I would add is the rooms could be a bit cleaner. The floor between the nightstand and the beds was not vacumed. Also, the towels are extremely small and old.
We ate at the Ki West that evening and everyone had great food and pleasant service. I loved the clam chowder - very rich and creamy - just the way I like it.
Pool was nice size but seemed a bit cloudy and not in the best shape.
All in all, I would definitely return and I think once they complete all scheduled renovations it will definitely be a premier hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank luvND
Reviewed August 12, 2008

On our recent long trip, this was definitely one of our favorite hotels. The oceanfront room and view were great! The room was good size with a balcony (with 2 chairs) overlooking the ocean, a frig and microwave, and a dining table by the window. The beach was large and very nice, with access right at the hotel. The restaurant didn't open until 8am for breakfast (later than we would have liked), but had decent food and service, with very large portions and reasonable prices. We reserved the room online for a great price, and had confirmed a fireplace room (same price as a similar room without a fireplace), but weren't given a room with a fireplace. Since we hadn't planned on using it anyway, we didn't worry about it, but if this makes a difference to you, beware. (They appeared to be renovating some rooms, and those may have been the ones they were working on.)

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family