WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Spanaway, Washington
“We like this place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

I talked with Claudia and booked a double queen room for the kite festival week-end. She was friendly and accomodating on the phone. We arrived and upon checking in, there were several people in line. A lady (I didn't get her name) yelled, "NEXT IN LINE." so I stepped up and told her my name, she thrust several papers in front of me to sign, asked me in a wooden tone for my license and credit card. I signed the paper and then realized it was for someone else and for a king room. Right next to us the same thing happened to a couple, they realized they had signed for an incorrect room. In this lady's haste, she wasn't paying attention and was trying to hurry up the process. None of the couples that were checking in were impatient so I didn't understand the clipped tone of voice she was using, even her apology for the error was puzzling to me. It was obvious that customer service isn't her strongpoint, I was very pleasant to her, thanking her, etc. Nothing would sway her apparent lack of interest in her job. But.....that aside, everything else was spot on with our stay at the Surftides.

We were so happy with our choice of room. Yes, the rooms are starting to show a little age with peeling wallpaper, worn carpet, etc but hey, the room was immaculately clean, comfortable beds, a small fridge, keurig coffee maker with k-cups, a small microwave, real coffee cups, silverware, plates and bowls in the cupboard area. There was a table and two chairs next to the window, a balcony that you could go out and sit in the two lawn chairs that were out there (they were even clean). The only thing we didn't have was a fireplace but that was okay in our books. We have stayed before in the king room and there was a fireplace in that choice. I opted for the double queen room because my husband needs to wear an orthotic boot to bed and sometimes kicks me during his sleep, so this is now our option to solve this.

There is wine tasting in the lobby check in area during the afternoon with cheese platters, fruit platters and freshly made cookies were available, also. There is a selection cold drinks you can purchase to take to your room, freshly made coffee is also available.

We watched the kite festival, saw a wedding on the beach right below our third floor room, many people had bonfires on the beach right outside of the resort and they were all having fun. The Surftides is a great place to stay, people are friendly and helpful (aside from the one lady at check-in). There is a seperate pool area but we didn't take advantage of the pool this visit. I highly recommend this resort and the price for the room was very reasonable.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

I have stayed at alot of places up and down the Oregon coast...Surftides is one of the very best... The have great rooms, great pool, great view, excellent food on site and their staff is all very professional and helpful.....

• Stayed June 2014
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

This hotel was great, 5 star rooms and service. As a traveling business man I stay hotels 40 of 52 weeks throughout the year. Great Value for the price, and loved the free cookies. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at many hotels in Lincoln City, and Surftides was a delightful surprise. We appreciated all the amenities: bike rentals, cookies in the lobby, wine & cheese in the lobby, S'mores in the firepits, pool, etc. I love that the rooms are not carpeted and the place is dog-friendly. Although our room was only partially updated, it was clean and the bed linens were nice. The staff was all very friendly & helpful, and we really liked the lobby area. Thanks for the pleasant stay!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Stayton
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

For years my husband and I have been going to Surftides Resort in Lincoln City. He even proposed to me there. Just came back from a 3 day trip there and I have to say we were quite disappointed in the place. We paid on average 120.00 a night. Asked for a quiet room. We were put on the 3 rd floor with people all around us. The people above us decided they needed to shower at 130 am. The walls are so thin it literally rattled the plumbing in our bathroom which was right on the other side of the wall from our bed. Went to have breakfast at the Mist...the restaurant on the premises. After waiting 10 minutes to be seated, I asked the waitress heaping us, was she the only one on duty, she was and with just one cook as well she replied. I am sure that server would have been great under different circumstances, but we were hungry, hungover and not wanting to wait.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money, they don't even have flat screen tv's.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tina2240
cubuffst, Public Relations Manager at Surftides Lincoln City, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for review.

We appreciate all of your feedback and are addressing each issue to assure that our guests will have the best possible experience. We are sorry about the other guests being loud, and always do our best to quickly resolve these issues at the time of the complaint through our front desk.

We did have an issue with being short-handed at MIST that particular morning as we lost an employee that day. We regularly have more than enough staff to take care of our patrons there and have put in place back-up plans to ensure that this will not happen again.

We would love to invite you back to the restaurant for a meal on us, and to give you the service and experience that our guests come back to enjoy.
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

If you are looking for a place in Lincoln City - you can find many other places that are cleaner and more customer focused.

The manger here lies and talks to you like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay. Upon check-in we had to move rooms because of the gas smell in the room. The next day we saw someone in our room going through our stuff - you can see from the beach up through to the room with the sun behind the hotel...

We called the front desk and said it was "maintenance" and the person just peaked in really quick. We told her we saw someone going through our room - she then changed her story and that they didn't have anyone registered in that room and were trying to figure out who it was. The person was going through our stuff looking for luggage tags and drivers licenses. She then put someone else on the phone on told him to tell us that it was because we changed rooms so much and that it was our fault! We changed rooms once - because of the smell - we didn't do anything wrong. Yet the hotel lied to us, looked through our stuff and blamed us for their mistake and how they handled it.

There are many ways to figure out who is in the room - note on the door, the light on the phone or even when we called earlier for towels. But to lie and go through our stuff??? Then blame us?

I went to the lobby and asked the manager why they were in the room and why they lied - she said they had every right because we changed rooms so much. I told her we were customers for 18 years and can't believe how they were treating us - she said that we wouldn't be customers for long. WOW. For something we didn't do? I got mad and told her that she shouldn't have gone through our stuff, that there are other ways to figure this out. Yep - I raised my voice, this manager obviously didn't care about us as customers. 18 years once to twice a year we had stayed... no apology, no understanding, no trying to 'nice' and talk us through what really happened. No she pushed this off as our fault - the customer.

This hotel has been our tradition that has now come to an end. Treat customers like dirt, lie to them and do whatever they want. This is not the kind of place I want to spend my hard earned money. If the owners don't want to be contacted and they hire managers who don't understand customer service - then they don't really want anyone's business.

There are plenty of other hotels to stay in Lincoln City!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Russell V
Moses Lake, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

I had 3 others with me to stay with our brother while he is was being treated for cancer..They were my sister and her 2 daughters from Montana.and on 1 night my son from Seattle joined us for no extra charge..The restaurant and inclosed swimming pool and spa building was excellent. look forward to stay there again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 3rd floor are excellent for view and also access.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family