“Thirty years later - Surftides is still a great place to vacation.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surftides Lincoln City

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Orofino, Idaho
“Thirty years later - Surftides is still a great place to vacation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I first started going to Surftides in Lincoln City over 30 years ago. At that time there were usually signs of much needed paint and minor repairs, but the ocean views and rooms were great. Now it has been updated and I have to admit I liked the old blue and gray colors much better (not an orange person). But the mattresses are even more comfortable and there are real pillows instead of the thin things you find at most motels. The views are still spectacular and so nice to have your private balcony that are walled in on both sides so you have nice privacy. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the room was very clean.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Serendipity797

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Clarkston, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

We have stayed at several hotels along the coast and this is by far the best one we've stayed at. The staff was friendly and went above and beyond our expectations. We stayed a few nights at a beach house and payed over $175 a night and didn't get half of what we got here being priced at just under $75. I strongly recommend this place to anyone and everyone. We'll definitely be coming here again opposed to the expensive beach house. And our favorite part was the amazing view. We had our own personal deck, fireplace and complete privacy. We definitely got our money's worth out of this one!

1 Thank Liz T
Enterprise, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

First off I want to say, We Will Definitly Be Back!
I booked this hotel for my husband and I for our Honeymoon before coming to Trip Advisor to take a look at the reviews (not something I normally do!) But when I got here I was a little worried that we were not going to be happy with it, because of all the bad reviews. But the thing is I dont know what everyone is complaining about!
We got there, and everything was fantastic! The front desk staff was very friendly one young man in particular (I didn't catch his name but he had long dark Dreadlocks, he was Very nice and Helpful!) We checked in at 4 when check in is and had no problems. The Room was clean and seemed very nice to us! The view was absolutly amazing, and when the Tide was high the waves were a few dozen feet from the hotel! We loved the balcony and spent a lot of time out there, we were in a room on the 5th floor and it was very nice! The view is also great from inside the room, there is a sliding glass door that is huge, and if you open the blinds you have a great view from inside, we opened the door at night and closed the blinds so we could fall asleep to the sounds of the Ocean! Beach access is very easy with a ramp right down to the beach! The hotel allows pets and that was very important to us, because just before we went we got a little Shih Tzu puppy and they let him stay the room which was fantastic. (it was $20 per night, not refundable and we stayed 7 nights so I thought it was a little high but defiinitly worth it to us for our little Buster!)

The only thing that I found a bit strange was that you had to go exchange your room key for the pool key if you wanted to swim, But that wasn't a huge deal for us. And one more thing I would like to add, Im not certain of the price of Surftides in peak season, we always travel to the Coast in October so it was a reduced rate.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 5th floor, the views are amazing and you don't have any foot noise abov...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amanda-macdonell
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I stayed here alot of years ago and thought wouldn't it be nice to return for some nostalgia?
Well, it wasn't exactly what I had remembered. The room was clean but very tired looking, and yes the wallpaper had been "stapled" down in order to preserve some sort of continuance of the pattern, lol...The balcony needs pressure washing big time and so did the exterior of the building. The pillows are very thin and need replacing. The pool and gym weren't open until 9 am and well I am a bit of an early riser so I wouldn't have minded going for a early morning swim or workout but the guy wasn't even there until 9 am by then Im ready to have breakfast and leave! The restaurant is very close and the breakfast was good . Service was good as well.
All in all a remodel wouldn't do this motel any harm.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrschef14
Washougal, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Just got back from there for our anniversey this weekend. My husband made the reservations by calling the hotel. He wanted to make it a nice surprise by having an early check in and requested a bottle of champange be put in the room. We were told that we could check in by noon...so we got there at 1:30 and tried to get our room. We were told it's still being cleaned so it would be another 45 min. No big deal to us so we left and went shopping. We came back at 3:30 and were told again it's not ready, check back in 45 min. I told the employee that we were already told that 3 hours ago. He seemed not very concerened...so we left again. We got back to the hotel at 5pm (remember check in is 4pm) we tried to check in for the 3rd time and were told it's still being cleaned and should be ready in 10 minutes!!! So at 5:15 we finally got into our room and still found no champange!! Luckly we were not charged for the bottle but it is still frustrating!! We have always gone and stayed there but after this weekend and the other reviews I have read lately we will NEVER go back! Sorry to say they lost a loyal customer!

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank amy1481
Everett, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Stayed 2 nights in one of the pre-renovated rooms, 220, after we were first incorrectly placed in one of the non-fireplace rooms.

Positives:
-- Linens were this great really thick cotton, soft and off the *chain* comfortable; good variation in pile of pillows including some down ones that you could actually sleep on, excellent bed, and down duvet was so hot I cooked with the door open in November! Made for a SPECTACULAR nights' sleep.

-- Balcony view is *gorgeous*, lit up surf at night, and gas fireplace (on timer) puts out nice amount of heat. We relaxed in the room a lot and it was terrific.

-- Mist Restaurant staff are terrific and friendly, food was quite good.

-- Maids I met were friendly, did a good job of making up the room each night.

-- Mild foot traffic noise from room upstairs, but not enough to get through standard earplugs (always wear em in a hotel) all mostly well muffled.

-- Front desk clerk was slightly overwhelmed but made sure to make our room right when it turned out he had placed us in the wrong one.

Negatives:

-- First room we were put in, 211 I think, had plastic (faux wood) floors and no carpet! Good for kids tracking sand around, I imagine, but for adults? its cold, loud, and weird. Would have been VERY p*ssed if I'd had to stay there. Be sure to ask if your room has carpet!

-- Double check that your room matches what you reserved. There is confusion here: I strongly reccommend following up a web reservation with a phone call to their central booking to be sure, before you arrive.

-- We were on 2nd, floor, in middle of this big concrete building.. so that the free Wifi was good enough for a laptop with no problems but too weak for smartphones.

-- Non-renovated rooms are very.. 80's. Carpet is stained of course but was clean; decor is very oak-trim everything. TV in an entertainment hutch kind of thing, corian bath counters. Pleasant in a goofy kind of way.

-- Phone was dead in one room, they were working on fixing it when we moved.

-- Bath fan in our room was a deafening clatter and did not really do much.

-- Towels plentiful, clean and thick but not especially soft.. were fine. Minifridge worked great in the sense that it froze all our food, but prefer that to it not cooling enough. Water pressure was OK, not great not awful. Checkout time Sunday the hot water did get a little scant.

Overall:
Obviously, I forgive a lot for a really great bed and night's sleep in a clean quiet room with an oceanfront balcony.

Be aware that piecemeal renovations are underway here -- this is an old place and they are fixing the rooms a few at a time. A friend said that the king suites with fireplace + murphy beds on 5th floor are renovated and *beautiful*.

If you dont get what you want / expect, ask for a change! Its a great old place and they are working to bring it back -- you just cannot beat the price in LC for the beds, view, balconies and fireplace in the rooms.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a fireplace, for a couple dollars more it really, really drives out the damp. Awesome.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Koan W
Hood River, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We got a room in the partial view building and our view was wonderful. We were in room 606. The bed was a king size. The bathroom was very clean and we had a balcony. We will definatley stay here again. It is also just a few minutes from Chinook Winds Casino. The only thing that went badly was we had no hot water for our morning showers:( I told the front desk and the response I got was oh again. No sorry or anything.

2 Thank bphil59519