“Great Location but going down hill”

Surftides Lincoln City
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Vancouver, Washington
“Great Location but going down hill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

I've been staying at Surftides for YEARS. It's always been my favorite place due to the location, but the last couple of years it's really gone down hill. Last summer I was frustrated because all but one of the ice machines was broken and they didn't even put signs up to tell you they were broken. I complained to the manager who assured me he was new, but he was working on it and it WOULD be getting better! This spring break I showed up.. guess what?!? Still only one ice machine the only improvement was that they now had signs up. Really, in 9 months you couldn't fix the ice machines? When you charge over a $100 a night you would think you could BUY new ones! In addition, the elevator was out of order for 3 of the 4 days and upon checking in we were told the pool was being repaired so there would be no swimming. Really people this is Spring Break! I can understand this from a lower price hotel, but Surftides it not cheap! I got to the beach 6-8 times a year... I'll be finding somewhere else in the future. Internet was also flaking and they changed the password without warning, so you spent time trying to figure it out finally complain to be told "Oh we change the password this morning".

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank SandyLynne
picataggio, Owner at Surftides Lincoln City, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Was doing a walk through of the propert and we failed. I have no clue and I am speechless that no one order new ICE MACHINES.

I placed the order myself a few days ago. Will take a couple of weeks for them to arrive.

My Apologies, I am very embarrassed by this.

As for the elevator. The controller board burn out. Not much we could do about that one. i am sorry this happend while you were here.

The pool - Epic fail on the TIMING. I was under the impression this was being done in Feb. I came to the property during the same time you were there and was speechless!!
Needless to say it is now back up.

Yes, there is some obvious problems we are dealing with and getting taken care.

I am truely sorry this all happend while you were visiting us.

A normal repair schedule is during the Winter months and outside Painting of course is when GOD says so ( needs to stop raining for us )...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Corvallis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2011

We stayed at the Surftides on Saturday night, April 2, 2011. The location of the hotel, the view from the room, and the beach access are great. Considering that, if they updated the place a bit, it would be a really nice place to stay.

The room was clean and the beds and linens were comfortable, except for the pillows which were small and flat. The room had a strong, unpleasant cleaner or deodorizer smell. The room and building are kind of run-down and shabby. There was a loud electrical humming noise all night long.

It was not a room we would enjoy hanging out in but for just sleeping, it was adequate. I would say it's a decent budget hotel if you consider $115 for 2 queens a budget price!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Alifeyl
Hello -

Thank you for your comments. I just did a run through of all the rooms. To let you know I order over 100 NEW Pillows and whole bunch of New comforters, and lots of new Sheets.
We also just got in 30 Brand new Flat Screens, with more on the way.

I will sit down with housekeeping and see what they are using in the rooms that caused the smell.

Hopefully when you return you will notice a major difference with all the NEW Product...
(Please give it a couple of weeks for those pillows to get here )
Weymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

A friend and I stayed at Surftides for one night on a saturday. We booked a superior room with a fireplace and balcony...ocean front. Room was perfect. Beautiful view of the ocean and very clean. Bathroom was nice. They give you tons of extras, razor, breathe strips, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner (Garnier). We ate at Mist, the hotels reataurant. Beautiful place. I got the surf and turf which was great. Had a bottle of champagne and steamers to start with. All was very good. Very close to Chinook Winds Casino too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kellie224
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

We were in Lincon City for a basketball tournement and we wanted a hotel with a nice room, on the beach with a pool and a hot tub. The Surftides was all we wanted and more. the room was great, easily big enough for my wife and I, our 14 yr old daughter and her teammate. We loved the pool and hot tub area, and the view from the room was breathtaking! we spent a beautiful day on the beach after the girls games were over. The staff at the Surftides were extremely friendly and made sure that we knew to let them know if we needed anything at all. The room was perfect however so we didn't need to bother them at all! a great place to stay. we loved being right on the beach...this place was absolutely amazing!

Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ayamgod
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

Surftides Lincoln City is located on the beachfront. My wife and I enjoyed the romantic scene and not at all bothered by the sounds of the waves of the ocean. We stayed in their Superior King w/Fireplace - Ocean Front room. The free wi-fi worked great for us; in-room coffee was a delightful surprise; and they even supplied a free packed Schick Hydra 3 razor!

It's no Ritz Carlton and Oregon beaches aren't Bora Bora-fic but it is comparable considering the occassion for our stay (nice evening away from Portland while getting value for the cost). Other than the ocean/beach view, small back deck/patio, and fireplace, I would say the rest of the room itself is along the lines of a 3-star or higher hotel room (Hilton/Marriott).

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChaoSnPDX
Tigard, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2011

My husband and I went for our birthday weekend, and booked a King room. The temperature became unreasonable warm, so we opened the door to the balcony. Moments after the door was opened, the room was filled with the smell of feces. We contacted the front desk about the heat, were given a small fan to move the air around. When the heat got worse, we contacted the hotel to see if there was anything else that could be done. We were advised by the front desk agent to leave open the front and back door to circulate air. We left the fan on for a while, decided to investigate the smell, and discovered the balcony was covered in feces. We could not sleep, so we checked out at 1 AM and drove home. When we contacted the hotel for a refund request, we were advised that the general manager was the only person who could authorize a refund, and we would get a call the next day. We have been trying to reach the manager for over a week and a half with no response. We have left phone messages and voicemails and the manager has yet to contact us, almost 2 weeks later. We will never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mhartman122
Cornelius, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

Surftides is a GREAT hotel. Located directly on the beach, you every room is ocean view and just seconds from feeling the sand in your toes.
The staff is super friendly. Anything you need or want is done for you without hassle. The beds are like big puffy white clouds, and the rooms are super comfy. Turned on the fireplace, popped in a DVD, cracked the slider so we could hear the ocean ... and RELAXED!
We stay there a few times a year, and we ALWAYS come back to Surftides. The rooms may be higher priced than some other hotels, but it is worth it! The view, the location (just blocks from the casino and a restaurant on site) ,makes it super convenient.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple