“Great ocean view but thats about it”

Chinook Winds Casino Resort
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed September 22, 2008

We had visited 2007 and just loved it. This year though, it wasn't as good. The view was still great and if you get a 1st level room the back door opens right up to small cliff overlooking the beach and ocean. Their housekeeping staff leaves a lot to be desired. We went with my sister and her husband who both are disabled. The housekeep staff left brooms, dustpans and other items just laying in the walkways. There was gravel on the handicap ramp and its very hard to negotiate a wheelchair or walker thru. From a handicapped point of view it wasn't that easy to get to your room. You had a choice of some very steep stairs or a long ramp. Not near enough disabled parking in the hotel area. Casino was easy to navigate and the bingo hall was pretty nice. What we enjoyed the most was the breakfast buffet. They have everything and very fresh. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank kobesgamma

Reviewed September 9, 2008

With as much money as the casino makes you would think that they would have a nice hotel on their property. This hotel is really run down and not at all a quality place to stay. The other coastal casinos offer such beautiful rooms and give even better deals to get us to come to their establishment. Chinook Winds needs to get with the program and put some money into their hotel. It is barely maintained let alone improved. The location is absolutely beautiful and could be such a real draw.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank valuetravelers
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We decided to stay in the hotel because it was right next to the casino. What a mistake that was! The room was tiny and in need of some serious repairs. At about 1 am somebody started running a dryer in the laundry room and it sounded like two pieces of steel banging together. I called the front desk and after a half an hour I finally went and unplugged the dryer. I wasn't really concerned about the other person's clothes as the laundry room was supposed to be locked at 10 pm. All the casino money definitely goes back into the casino and not the hotel. Don't waste your money on this hotel. There is better lodging all over Lincoln City with free shuttles to the casino.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jenjem3456
Reviewed July 23, 2008

When I stay in Lincoln City there are pretty much 2 kinds of properties directly on the beach, below average and above average with a really high price. The Chinook Winds hotel (formally the Shilo Inn Lincoln City) is a below average hotel with an above average rate.

My girlfriend and I arrived early on a Saturday morning, the staff were able to let us check in thankfully being it was like 11am which is well before check in. One of the housekeepers walked by us as we walked up to the office talking into her radio about the need to change a comforter in a room because of "bio," this became a running joke for the rest of our stay.

Our room was nice, on the first floor in the long wing so we had a back door where we could walk onto a patio, great if you have a pet. Also the view of the ocean is just unreal. We had a smoking room and we could not detect much in the way of smoking smells, the room smelt and felt clean.

The only bad thing about the room was the toilet, our toilet seat was peeling and the entire toilet had a noticeable lean to it.

So I take a nap and my GF hops out the back door to have a cigarette, some loud obnoxious lady bangs on our front door yelling "YOU ASLEEP OLD MAN?!!!" her friend tells her she is banging on the wrong door, turns out she wanted the room next door. She was pretty drunk and her mistaking my door for her friends happened several times through the day and night.

The walls are fairly thin, while napping I could hear the conversation next door pretty clearly, albeit drunk lady was loud. Still annoying when I am trying to take a nap. The bed was comfortable however, too bad I could not enjoy it asleep.

I gave up on my dream of a nap and we left to go for a drive up the coast line. When we got back that night we could hear them next door and could smell stale smoke emanating from next door. *Groan*

Finally they wrapped it up and all was quiet so we could sleep. The next morning when we checked out the drunk lady was lurching around the front of the hotel with puke on her flannel shirt, could not wait to get out of dodge.

Aside from the trashy drunk lady and the leaning toilet it was ok. One thing I did notice is the front of the hotel is kept up but the back is not at all. Being I have worked for hotels in the past this smacks of the attention of quality of repair and maintenance the property receives. When I stayed here when it was the Shilo it was a much better run and kept up property, now it is all slipping since they do not have any brand standards to adhere to.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kahuna_Cowboy
Reviewed July 23, 2008

The SINGLE WORST Hotel I've Ever Stayed In!!

We booked a room as part of a package deal with a Leanne Womack Concert. I was mortified when I walked in the room...I could see the ocean alright....thru the holes eaten thru the corner of the door frame!!!...The carpet was horribly stained, the wall-paper was falling off....and the ceiling was full of brown stains from leaking above. In short, I wouldn't have wanted to sleep in the bed for fear of what might be hidden under the bed and in the sheets!!. I told them it was awful...and they were nice enough...offered an upgrade, but it was still bad......Since I had relatives in from Wisconsin, I was embarressed.....and very disappointed as I'd wanted it to be nice.

This is the first time EVER I've felt compelled to warn visitors against a potential stay......This is truly a BAD one.......and should be avoided....at any price... The view is good, but the room was so awful it was difficult to enjoy it.....The hotel either needs to be gutted and remodeled or torn down and rebuilt. Most casinos have nice facilities....BEWARE on this one.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rjdtba
Reviewed July 14, 2008

A friend booked the stay for myself and others who were doing contract work. It was close to the job, and he thought it would be fun, and it was, but it wasn't the hotel I expected. The building was old and seemed to barely be maintained, a few staff members seemed good, the rest seemed to be there for the paycheck, but the location was great.

If they tore down and built a real casino resort they might be onto something, but I'd rather spend their prices at a lot of other places that offer more than gambling. If you want to play the slots the whole time, it'd probably be great, but I ended up walking the area a lot, and although the location was very cool, it wasn't too convenient.

Overall, it seemed a bit overpriced, but if you wanted the casino above all, and Lincoln City is a short drive, it was okay, but nothing I'll be going back to.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank knottriel
Reviewed July 3, 2008

What a disappointment. Our room smelled, the bed had a bow in the middle. Not at all what you would expect for the money and to be connected with a casino. Very disappointing, would not recommend.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple