“Not Even Close to Worth the Price”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lincoln Sands Oceanfront Suites
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I am being very generous giving out two stars. I'm not even sure why I'm doing it. I think it's because it could get three stars if it wasn't so horribly overpriced. There were only two good things: the location and the tap water. Location: It's only a couple minute walk to some good restaurants and D River. Water: I mention this because I remember thinking to myself "this may be the only thing good about this place and it's Lincoln City's doing, not the hotel." The tap water tasted better than what I get in Portland.

Now, the bad:

PRICE. We were charged $233.10 for one night in a queen suite on the bottom floor. I try to avoid posting prices in reviews, but this has to be pointed out. WHY? Even for a busy summer weekend in Lincoln City this is ridiculous for this type of hotel room. We paid less for our beautiful room at the Bellagio in Las Vegas on a Friday night. I figured that it was good enough to be a Best Western "Plus," so hopefully there would be something nice about it to offset the price. We could afford one night at the beach at this price, so why not? Well, keep reading. That's why not.

Layout. The room was set up so that the bedroom was back against the hallway. No hope at a view, no hope at it being quiet. It was loud all night and we were at the opposite end of the air conditioner, so it was also hot all night. When I choose a hotel on the beach, I'm not going to be sitting around at the hotel during the day enjoying the view, I'm going to be out and about doing things and enjoying the view. It's nice to wake up to a view, not in a tight, dark box.

Cleanliness. The dishwasher had food in it (no dishes), partially used detergent and was stuck on "dry" when we arrived. We pulled down the murphy bed (or tried to - see below) and it was gross. The room had been cleaned, but it wasn't clean. I wasn't willing to sit on the couch. The shower smelled really strongly of mold. There was garbage out on the patio.

Disrepair. The disposal didn't work. The murphy bed was bent and wouldn't pull down. The remote was broken and scotch taped back together. The air conditioner wouldn't even turn on at 70 when we arrived when it was clearly warmer. We had to turn it down as far as it would go (60) and it still turned off at about 72-74. I'm not sure if that was due to lack of maintenance, though, or intentional tampering with the thermostat to save the hotel some money. The wi-fi was really slow. The bathrooms had clearly been remodeled, probably out of absolute necessity, but the whole hotel needs to be gutted. It's time.

Staff. The staff was mediocre at best. There was nothing terrible to say about them, but they weren't welcoming.

Price. Oh. I mentioned that. It's worth repeating.

I know the lodging options in Lincoln City that are actually on the beach are getting run down, but it's just not worth it to stay in one like this. You're better off staying on the other side of the highway at a newer hotel and not having a view than you are putting up with this.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ralverde
Teryel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Lincoln Sands Oceanfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Mr. Alverde,
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. It’s unfortunate that you did not give us the opportunity to discuss with you your concerns while you stayed with us. Our friendly staff is available 24 hours a day to assist those with questions, or comments. We would have welcomed a chance to talk directly to you about your concerns. It is our goal to make sure all of guests are comfortable and their needs are met during their stay. The majority of our rooms are large 1 bedroom suites, and all are oceanfront. These suites are available on all 3 floors, so there are options to change rooms if you are unhappy with the location of the room you had reserved.
After reading your review we researched your stay and our maintenance staff checked the items you have mentioned that were in disrepair. It was indeed found that the “re-set” button on the garbage disposal needed to be reset. As for the other items you mentioned, they were all found to be in clean and proper working condition.
In Lincoln City there are only a few hotels that can compare to the Best Western Plus Lincoln Sands Suites. During peak season you will find that our rates on an average are competitive with these hotels.
Best Regards,

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed here for one night with 3 kids, aged 16,12 and 10. It was a last minute trip, the weather was going to be good, and my kids wanted an outdoor pool. I booked through their internet website a couple of hours prior to arrival because it was a better rate than priceline or other websites offered for this property. I arrived and the lady at the desk called me by name right off the bat, and got me set up in less than 5 minutes. Our room was directly across from the outdoor heated pool and the front had big windows and a slider that opened up right to the dunes and wide open beach view. The room smelled fine, appeared clean and seemed to be recently updated. There was a full kitchen, small couch and murphy bed along with a sizeable television in the living room area, full bathroom with tub, and a well appointed bedroom with a large bathroom off of it. The only complaint I have about the room at all, was that the murphy bed comes off of the same wall as the tv, so the kids couldn't watch a movie when they went to bed as they were hoping to do. The best thing about our room? Tons of towels. Enough for everyone to shower and then some. The pool area was great, paver stones around a kidney shaped pool that was heated and a rock waterfall that fed the pool. There was a hot tub nearby with perfect temp water and also very clean. The sauna was out of order- which we didn't mind. There was a little room off the pool that was really well stocked with pool towels, an awesome amenity in my book. There were well stocked vending machines in the pool area which made my kids happy. This hotel was very quiet, the parking lot was full, yet I never heard a peep from the rooms next to us or above us. Breakfast was usual hotel fare, but I can't complain about free- waffles, cereals, yogurts, etc. Generous time frame from 7-10am. There was an attendant stocking and cleaning the breakfast area at all times.
In terms of price, I have to say initially I was a little discouraged. I felt it was a little high, we paid $168 not including tax. This was the first of several hotels we stayed at on the Oregon coast, so I had no reference point. Now, looking back, it was a great value. Cannon Beach and Seaside are much higher price wise. My favorite thing about this hotel hands down was the 9pm-10pm adult only pool hour. Awesome idea, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. If I was a very picky person, our lovely view was marred by a super dirty window.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Teryel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Lincoln Sands Oceanfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear suprmm,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. It makes us very happy that you found our property so pleasant. I will apologize though for the dirty window. The salt air and mist makes the window washing a never ending task. Plus we will wash the windows anytime it is requested by a guest. The goal has always been to exceed our guests' expectations when it comes to service, friendliness and accommodations. We hope that you choose to stay at our Best Western the next time you're in Lincoln City.

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Nice view of the ocean! Big rooms. Customer service lacking along with the breakfast. Otherwise content with our stay. It was cheaper than seaside so value was reasonable after paying a fortune there.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank babskurtz
Teryel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Lincoln Sands Oceanfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear babskurtz,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear that our “customer service” was lacking. Please know that this is not our standard practice. Our staff is very dedicated to maintaining its high standards of guest service. If you can think of any ideas for our breakfast that might be feasible, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. We welcome any suggestions.
Thank you once more and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The motel is a bit tired for the price. The cabinets in the kitchen were in need of repair, the toilet handle had to be shook and the patio door casing was broken at the base. It was uncomfortable to step on in bare feet. For a premium room the upkeep was poor. That said the staff was excellent, breakfast good and as always the Oregon coast was beautiful.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Teryel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Lincoln Sands Oceanfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear Steve C,
We appreciate you taking the time to review our Best Western on TripAdvisor. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Our past guests' comments and concerns are our biggest tools in helping us ascertain how we might best accommodate our future guests. Thank you once more and it is our hope that you will continue to choose Best Western in the future.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My Family and I was on are first real Vacation in four years, we chose the Oregon coast this time. This BestWestern is in disoray, and I stay in this chane alot. While away from home. this hotel has the potental of a two Star Hotel. Upper Mangment neglect shows. first rm. Very over priced with signs of breaking in of outside bedrm window, room not cleaned well, door locks removed and or missing, not restocked after prior guest. Second room price adjusted due to damaged carpet broken glass bay window, small peases of trashon the floors, master rm. window opened but woudn't close due to guide bar not attached., at 10:30pm our son awoke crying at our door had to call lobby to come help because our suite door locked but wouldn't unlock. Out of all the BestWestern Change Hotels visited on this Vacation trip this by far was the worst stay ever! The Staff were respectectul and kind. breakfast was good and warm.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Teryel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Lincoln Sands Oceanfront Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
We are greatly disappointed that you found your stay with us less than satisfactory. As you are aware we discussed your situation while you were still at our hotel and we made appropriate strides to resolve your concerns.
I would like to touch on some of your key areas of concern for our future potential guests. The rooms we are discussing are our 2 story Loft Suites. These Suites are 1240 square feet and located on the 3rd floor. The first room that our desk agent showed this guest did in fact have an issue with the window in the bedroom area. It would be quite impossible for anyone to “break in” since this is on the 3rd floor with no access from the outside to these windows. Regardless this room was immediately put “out of order” in our system until it could be repaired. I also want to assure our guests that all of our suites do have door locks and they are in working order.
The Suite this guest actually stayed in had a small crack in the exterior window pane; this was notice by our staff after the guest checked out and the window was replaced by week’s end. Until it was repaired this room was not available to rent by others. While it was very unfortunate that the child locked himself in the adjoining bedroom it was remedied very quickly.
We here at the Best Western Plus Lincoln Sands Suites try to make certain that each and every one of our guests realize how important they are to us. Safety & security is of the utmost importance and our staff is trained to listen for potential issues, and create immediate resolutions in order to avoid incidents before they occur. Please know that this one guest’s stay is very unusual and is not our standard practice.
Best Regards,

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This is an awesome place to stay. Business or pleasure.... I have done both here and love it.. Your on the beach, witnessing some of the most stunning sunsets ever.... It's romantic and gives that old style oceanic feel. The hotel is clean, well kept, great staff. They provide cookies at the front... And your car is even well taken care of... This is one of my most favorite places

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Melanie,
Thank you for your kind review! It’s always a pleasure to have you stay with us, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed in the loft suite. Great choice. The staff was very helpful and provided a great breakfast every morning. Excellent view of the ocean, great accommodations, plenty of room with everything that we needed, and a full kitchen for the family. Alisha was very helpful finding a restaurant, offered other suggestions, and was very friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room with an ocean view! You'll love it.