“Okay room, great view, but very overpriced & not "luxury"”

Starfish Manor Oceanfront Hotel
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed in a Nautica suite. The main problems were the room temperature/stuffiness, cheap towels and linens, mismatched decor, the jacuzzi tub in the room with carpet, and very, very small bathroom. The room was clean and the view was amazing.
Problems first. The room was much too warm with little to no air circulation. When we checked in, the room temperature was 82 degrees fahrenheit and the room was very stuffy. The outside temperature was only about 72 degrees. Even after opening the sliding door to the balcony and leaving it open for three hours while we went to dinner, the room had only cooled down to 80 degrees. This is because there is a constant flame burning in the fireplace. When we called down to the front desk, we found out that the only option was to have the fireplace turned off by the maintenance person and not to be able to have it turned back on until the next morning. This was a problem as the only heat source is the fireplace and if we were to get cold in the night, we would not be able to warm up the room. The hotel bills itself as luxury but the decor of the room and the cheap quality of the linens do not match the luxury billing. The bed linens were sea-foam green, which is a very odd choice. The towels were also green and were not turkish cotton or even 100% cotton but a poly blend. There was no unifying decor theme. The sink for the bathroom which is located in the room was a victorian pedestal sink but other parts of the room were a nondescript contemporary style. The room also had very poor lighting. It was also kind of gross to have a jacuzzi tub in the main room and surrounded by carpet--a situation I think would lead to mold in a coast setting. In fact, the curtain on the window above the tub was stained. The worst thing about the room was the teeny-tiny bathroom and that the bathroom sink was a pedestal with absolutely no counter space for your toiletries, etc. The pedestal seemed an odd choice. Also, the morning of check out housekeeping tried to get into the room two hours before I had checked out. I found that a bit odd, especially since the hotel makes a big deal of having you choose whether you want maid service, "so as not to disturb you." For the amount of money I paid for the room, these problems are simply unacceptable. It all seemed a bit tacky and rinky-dink.
Positive things about the room-- the room was clean. The very best thing was the unobstructed view and closeness to the beach.
In sum, the room would have been fine, had I paid only $100-125 for it. Luxury it was not.

1  Thank Angela M
beachfrontdianna, Owner at Starfish Manor Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

I am pleased this guest thought the room was very clean and enjoyed the great view! We have just purchased and put all new linens and towels - luxurious department store (not the standard hotel white kind of sheets and towels). We also added new robes and brand new pillow top mattresses as well to make sure we keep up our luxury quality. We have added in-room fans for the rare days on the coast that don't have a cool breeze blowing. As you can see 99% of our guests have loved our romantic tubs - which are COMPLETELY surrounded by tile and overlook the oceanfront. I believe this guest is talking about the step by the tub to make getting into the large tub easier. It is carpeted (same type as the room) as not to be a slip hazard - but we do provide a bath mat so it is not exposed to any more moisture than any other carpet. We shampoo our carpets on a very regular basis. We have never had an issue with any mold. Hopefully this response helps these guests and any future guests to know we do stay on top of any item that needs replacing. We definitely want to provide a romantic upscale getaway and many many of our loyal repeat guests love us and come anniversary after anniversary so like to see the new items too! Thank you for taking the time to read this response.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was my wife and I's first trip away from the kids for our anniversary and I'm glad I picked this place to go to. The view was excellent, the service was great, the weather cooperated surprisingly and was beautiful. The only complaints I have (and there pretty minor) are that if your staying on the top floor all the heat from the lower rooms makes the room really hot when your trying to sleep (no a/c). We had issues with the wifi as well. Got it for about 10 min. then didn't have it the rest of the time. (maybe need to have a router up on the 3rd or 4th floor) Other than that we loved the experience.

1  Thank KevinW0617

Thank you so much for the great review! We are glad you enjoyed the oceanfront Jacuzzi room for your anniversary stay. We have purchased new in-room fans for those few days when the coast is hot... most of the time if the Portland/inland area is hot we get abit of a foggy breeze so this rarely happens but we are prepared now. Also we have reset the routers on each floor and I personally took my laptop up to check each floor for wi-fi. Thank you again for the nice review!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary and decided on this hotel based on the reviews we read on trip advisor.This hotel is top notch and extremely romantic for any couple wanting to celebrate.The staff were professional. Upon arrival, there were 2 robes on the bed with rose petals on the bed and around the Jacuzzi tub. The rooms are just wonderful with an AMAZING view of the ocean! Our room was equipped with a mini frig and microwave. There were even real dishes in this room. Enough for 2. Nice not having to use paper or plastic. I would have to say my favorite part of the room would have to be the Jacuzzi tub which faces the ocean. AMAZING!!! Nothing beats drinking a glass of wine in the Jacuzzi tub with someone you love. I just can't say enough good things about this hotel. Yes, it's pricey, but worth EVERY penny. I promise! Will return for sure. The only thing I didn't like about this place was having to leave.

2  Thank amhorwath
Reviewed June 23, 2013

What can I say? I needed a break and wanted my wife to experiance bliss. She was mesmerized from the moment she saw the ocean from our balcony. The hotel is worth every penny. I dont even want to post anything negative. If I had one request, I would say invest in some steps down to the beach. It would have made it even more than perfect. We only had to walk next door to get down to the ocean, but small price to pay for the experiance. We will be back. Love, loved, loved, it......

Room Tip: We had the Nautica suite at Starfish Manor. Private jacuzzi in your room with ocean view. INCREDIBLE...
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Perry D
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Everything you need is in the room! There is no reason to leave. We love staying here! The staff is willing to go above and beyond when it comes to customer service! We have stayed here several times and would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My fiancée and I celebrated our five year anniversary here. The room was incredible, the view was to die for. The ambiance of the room was everything we could have dreamed of and more. It was our first stay and we plan to be back to celebrate again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed June 9, 2013

First of all, the room was very nice and clean. Loved the jacuzzi tub with the great ocean view. However, the room gets very hot even with the heat turned off and there is no air conditioning. They do not have a screen door on the balcony, so we just had to leave the sliding glass door wide open to let some cool air in. Also, since the room is a bit pricey in my opinion, it would be nice if a continental breakfast was included. You do have to walk up the hill to their Beachfront Manor property to get down to the beach. Not a big deal. The thing that bothered me the most was with their housekeeping service. Check-out time is 12:00. At a little after 11:00 my husband and I were in the jacuzzi tub figuring we still had about a half hour before we needed to get everything rounded up and check out. Housekeeping actually opened up our door and tried to come in the room. Thank goodness my husband had locked the door chain or this would have been a very embarrassing situation. When we checked out I told the clerk at the desk and she rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, not again! Ya know, it would've served them right had they walked in." Really?!?! As you can see, customer service is definitely lacking. I would probably try a different hotel next time, although our stay wasn't horrible.

2  Thank LisaS76
beachfrontdianna, Owner at Starfish Manor Oceanfront Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

I am so please that these guests enjoyed the room in their words: "very nice and clean. Loved the jacuzzi tub with the great ocean view.". I am very disappointed that they didn't get the service that should have been great also! We do have the chain locks & Privacy signs - but still housekeeping should always be aware of a guests privacy & checked out or not ... no excuse for that or how the front desk person responded when told .... I believe this was due to the GM that we have had for only 9 months and just let her go. We pride our hotel in not only offering the great room this guest describes but also great service and with myself as the owner & a new manager we will be making sure this type of thing doesn't happen. Thank you for taking the time to express your happiness with the room and concerns with service - its how good businesses get to be great business! We want to be GREAT!!!