“WORSE EXPERIENCE EVER -- DO NOT STAY HERE”

and 1 more site!
The Edgecliff Motel
Ranked #31 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
Oregon City, Oregon
“WORSE EXPERIENCE EVER -- DO NOT STAY HERE”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We travel quite a bit and this was ABSOLUTELY THE WORSE EXPERIENCE we’ve ever had at a motel! Normally, I wouldn’t do a bad review on a motel since the last thing I would want to do is relive this nightmare but I feel like I need to warn others.

When we arrived at the motel I was using a cane because I had injured my knee. The clerk told us that the room we reserved had a small flight of stairs so she wanted to put us in a different room. WE DID NOT ASK TO BE MOVED. She said she would put us in a comparable room for the same price. This was not close to being comparable and certainly should not be the same price.

The room we reserved had a Whirlpool tub – This room had a 2x2 foot shower stall. You had to stand directly under the shower head to get the small stream that was coming out. Also, we were furnished with just two towels.

The room we reserved had a fireplace – This room had no fireplace.

The room we reserved had a flat screen TV – The TV was a joke- something from the 90’s and there was no remote control. The TV was sitting on a table that was so low you couldn’t have seen it from the bed even if you wanted to.

The room we reserved had a “furnished” balcony with a partial view. The view was okay but the “furnished” part must have been the one and only plastic chair. So we couldn’t even sit on the balcony together to enjoy the view.
The bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever slept (or tried to sleep) on. There was only one night stand on one side of the bed so I had to pull a chair up to the side of the bed in order to put my things on it. Even though there was a plug on one side of the bed the covering for the wall socket was on the floor.
The breakfast was a joke – consisting of Costco Muffins, yogurt, and ROTTEN bananas.

Even with all this, the worse part was the treatment we received from someone named "Mark" (don’t know if he’s the manager) but he certainly shouldn’t be in the hospitality business.

The next morning we went to the office (which didn’t open until 8 a.m.) and told them we would like to get the room that we booked. She said it was available and started working on the computer to switch it. She called Mark over to ask him what code she needed to use at which point he blew up at her. He said we were unreasonable people and he absolutely wouldn’t let her do it. I said we just wanted the room that we reserved. He ignored us and continued yelling at the clerk and slamming things around. He was rude beyond anything I have seen. The clerk said she couldn’t change it because he would fire her over it. She told us he doesn’t give discounts so we were just out of luck. Since it was the 4th of July we didn’t know if we could find another motel so we stayed the night.

We feel that we were scammed by this motel and did not get the room we reserved. We go to Lincoln City on a regular basis, but we will never go back to this motel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donna K
centraloregoncoast, Manager at The Edgecliff Motel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
This guest made a 2-night reservation for a Whirlpool room through Expedia, and did not inform us (either by calling us directly or using Expedia’s “special request” feature when placing the reservation) that steps would be a problem.

Upon arrival during the 4th-of-July holidays, our desk clerk showed her the room, as is our procedure, at which time she stated that the 12-steps down would be a problem. On one of busiest weekends of the year (we were booked solid), we moved heaven and earth to find a ground level room. She accepted the alternative room upon inspection; we never promised an identical alternative; the critical variable was that the room be located on the ground floor. However, the next morning, she demanded to be moved to the very room that she claimed to be problematic the day before. We informed her that we were booked completely, and that another guest is being expected shortly to occupy that room.

We regret that this guest had to make compromises due to lack of proper planning & communication. We tried to accommodate her needs the best we could, given we were completely sold out and were unable to switch other people’s rooms around to accommodate her.

We recommend that guests with special needs call our desk early during their trip planning to ensure that the assigned room accommodates their constraints. This is especially critical when planning a trip during one of the busiest holidays of the year.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
boise, id
Reviewed July 11, 2013

this is an older motel but nicely kept and very clean. Sitting on a hill overlooking the ocean. Rooms are large with fireplace and flat screen TV, large refrigerator and Microwave. The included breakfast is not much, muffins, yogurt, juice, coffee, cereal. Overall, I would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed July 6, 2013

,My girlfriend and i were staying at a hotel in Medford oregon that was not so hot, so i thought i would make it up to her by taking her to the beach and splurge on a nice room.It was 4th of July weekend and there was only two places with a room. I called the edgecliffl and ,explained the not so pleasent room that we were in down south. she told me that the pet room that they have was very nice i asked if it looked like the picture,since the one in medford didnt,letting her know my concern on the way i had been decieved in medford. She assured me it had a fire place,patio,and yes looked just like the picture,which included the patio,fire place etc..when we arrived at 530pm the room was not ready, mind you we just spent 5 hours getting there and were tired, the manager showed me a different room,which was not acceptable even though we could have had it right then instead of waiting an hour, tired as we were, it was a dump so we chose to wait the hour, that room ended up being a little nicier than the one we were given originaly ,check in was at 3,and our room wasnt ready? and the manager/owner showed me a different room that was not acceptable so i was told to come back in a hour which we did. when we entered our room() that we were assured was very nice)was a dump!.My girlfreind broke down crying.Their website shows very nice rooms with fireplace,nice furnishings etc.we had .tryed to get another motel but all were booked.I went up to the office to complain and they were checking a guest in, so i went back to my room not wanting to bring this up infront of arriving guest .i came back to the room and showered and thats when i saw black mold all over the ceiling of shower,no fan in bathroom that was it,i called office manager and asked him why i was paying 114.00 for a OLD TINY dumpy room that looked nothing like the nicely furnished romantic room with a fireplace and patio to private area, also she told me a 32 in tv, the tv was 19 in,all was old and outdated, i asked why i was paying the same price as the people with the new rooms,yet i have none of the things i was told i would have? i totaly was stunned at his response to that,he said if i wanted a nice room i should have left my pet at home and hung up on me!!!!!! This coming from a PET FRIENDLY ESTABLISMENT!!!!.we had no where else to go due to no vacancys being 4th of july weekend and everwhere was full.I have pics of their room for people that are pet lovers if you want to see them send me a email at silversu436@gmail.com What a disappointment on the room and managers attitude about it,he knew he lied and decieved us and obviously just didnt care. WATCH OUT FOR BLACK MOLD!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jackie4756
We have allocated about half of our 50+ rooms to be pet-friendly. Other rooms are reserved for those guests who prefer not to be exposed to dog dander; we ONLY allow pets in our pet-friendly rooms, and make no exceptions. Because pet-friendly rooms require deep cleaning each time, this extra cleaning effort is built into the price.

As far as the online photos, this customer is referring to pictures from the Expedia website. On Expedia, we do not list any of our pet-friendly options, and thus all the photos depicted are of our non-pet-friendly units.

We offered this guest to reserve the rooms he very much liked upon his next visit, if he could leave the dogs at home. On this stay, he stayed in one of our customers’ favorite dog-friendly units; his room was remodeled and is free of mold. We regret that this guest was dissatisfied and invite him to stay in our new section (no pets) on his next visit.

Travelers are raving about these Lincoln City hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2013

The Edgecliff is a great little retreat to the coast with magnificent views. It's located in a more peaceful, less-trafficky part of Lincoln City, OR, without being far from anything. If you like to experience the area of town where the locals go, versus the tourist-centric fare, then this is a great choice. The hotel itself is very clean, the beds were suitable, but the real focal point is the view--you can't beat it. I think the best added feature is the fireplace (conveniently controlled by a thermostat on the wall), which is always good on a chilly, Oregon coast night. Pairs well with an Oregon Pinot Noir.

Room Tip: Definitely choose an oceanview room.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ridgefield, Washington
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We have stayed here twice, both for special anniversary trips, and both times in rooms with a hot tub. The first time was nice, though the staff wasn't especially friendly. The room, view and experience were all nice. The second time we stayed, the man who checked us in took a very long time to get us checked in, was very chatty, and upon learning we were staying in the hot tub room, offered his company. Very inappropriate. (I think it was the same guy I talked to make the reservation and that took about 15 minutes. He didn't seem to know what he was doing.) We went to our room, then took a walk down to the beach. When I got in the room, I realized I had sand in the cuffs of my pants so was going to go outside to shake it out. The door wouldn't open! The door knob was broken. I called the front desk. They actually had to lower a drill to us from the floor above, we took the door knob off the door and after some wrangling finally were able to open the door. They then moved us to another room. No compensation, no apology was really offered. Though it's a nice enough place, there are better places to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank M L
centraloregoncoast, Manager at The Edgecliff Motel, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
In all fairness, it is difficult to address a guest’s grievances when a review is posted NINE months after their stay. Our front desk staff are trained to be courteous and professional. I can only attribute this guest’s claim of the inappropriate dialogue to a gross misunderstanding of innocuous chatter. As far as her complaint about her door knob breaking, such mishaps don’t occur often but they are part of operating a business. None of our employees remembers the incident involving a drill; however, our staff attended the door lock jamming claimed by the guest immediately, and the guest tried the lock again, and it did work as intended. Lastly, we aim to reduce the check-in time to a minimum; however, on busy holidays, and when inconsistencies need to be reconciled, it can be a few minutes longer.

I wish that this guest would have addressed her grievances with management while still on the property, when the matter could have been handled promptly and to her satisfaction.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I arrived and was greeted by a man named Mark who changed the price he said "was not possible" He refused to honor the reservation and everything in the city was full so I paid the extra 30 dollars. The room was hot, stuffy and stale. There was blood stains on my pillow and also on the bottom sheet! The tv was less than 20 inches in size and the entire unit was outdated. I left after only one night due to the lack of service and nastiness of the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank seanjohn84
centraloregoncoast, Manager at The Edgecliff Motel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
The guest made a telephone reservation based on 2 adults and a TODDLER, and he was quoted a price. The guest (couple) arrived, not with a toddler, but with a with an adult friend. The desk person advised the guest that the price quoted over the phone was based on his description of the group comprising 2 adults and a toddler, not 3 adults. Since their group comprised 3 adults, an additional charge of $10 per day for the 3rd person would be added to his bill. This made the guest upset, asking, "what difference does it make?" After a lengthy price shopping effort over the phone, the guest opted to check in for 2 nights. However, the NEXT morning, he demanded a full refund for both nights, and offered only unsubstantiated excuses for his request. Given the guest had stayed one night, we offered to refund the second night; however, the guest insisted on receiving the full refund, and vacated the property promising to let the entire world know of his bad experience.
Port Orchard, Washington, United States
Reviewed May 27, 2013

After a 5 hour drive, my daughter and I found out our booking with another property fell through at the last minute. So, we drove down 101 fearing everything would be booked for the Memorial Day holiday weekend. Edgecliff Motel had a vacancy sign and was on the ocean side of 101 so we stopped to check it out. We were a little unsure at first because this is an older property. However, the staff was very friendly and helpful and made us feel welcomed. We decided to stay in a one-bedroom kitchen unit. Can't beat the price! Although dated, it was spotless and had a beautiful view of the ocean. Clean, comfortable beds and furnishings, all dishes and utensils we needed were provided, nice clean fluffy towels. We could hear the people upstairs walking around and muffled sounds from the tv but I find that with any multi-unit property we go to. It was very quiet at night and we were even able to sleep in! My daughter and I enjoyed our girls' weekend and thanks to Edgecliff, we had a cozy place to relax in at the end of the day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family