“Special Newlywed Dinner”
Review of The Bay House

The Bay House
Ranked #1 of 105 Restaurants in Lincoln City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Southwest Jetty
Description: Since 1978, The Bay House has endeavored to be the best restaurant possible, providing first-class service and creative, fresh, honest food and drink in a gorgeous coastal setting. Recently designated as one of only two AAA 4-Diamond Award restaurants in Oregon, the focus remains on world-class hospitality.
Olympia, Washington
“Special Newlywed Dinner”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We absolutely loved the Bay House for our special newlywed dinner!!!!!!!! Even setting up the reservation you could tell how great a place this was. When we got there our table wasn't quite ready so they seated us at the bar for a drink. Which were fantastic!!! Taste & serving size was the best we've ever had. The ones I really enjoyed had coconut :) We then had a pork belly appetizer that was delicious! We decided to have the Tasting Menu. It was so good!!! A Salad, Then a Salmon, Duck & Beef Course, then a dessert trio all for only $69 per person. We were only able to make it part way through the beef course though and had to take the rest to go. The view was absolutely amazing as well. Right on the bay. The sky was beautiful. Our table was candlelit complete with a rose. It couldn't have been bettter :) After dinner we went back to the bar to finish our drinks and the bartender called our cab for us and we just got to relax. Wonderful Dinner, Service & Drinks!!!!!!!! The people there are the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Chelsi S

Phoenix, Arizona
“Neighbor to Neighbor excellent value”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

We have been wanting to try the Bay House for the last several years and finally had the opportunity last night. We came in on a Sunday evening at 5:45 and the dining room was booked. I had heard about the Neighbor to Neighbor menu available in the bar which offers a three course dinner for $25. The bar still had nice tables at the window available so we were quite pleased. We were offered soup or salad and we both had the carmelized onion soup which was rich and very good. Perfect to warm you up when the marine layer had come in. My husband had the pork chop which was very juicy and flavorful and I had the flat iron steak which was cooked perfectly and was also delicious. They were out of the bread pudding that was set for the menu so they allowed us to choose the other desserts from the regular menu. I had the dulce de leche cheesecake and it was outstanding. One of my favorite desserts ever. My husband had the trifle and it was perfect in that it was sweet but not too sweet.

Overall, we felt that the Neighbor to Neighbor menu is an outstanding value for really well executed food. With several glasses of wine for each of us we came in at $100 before tip. This meal would have easily cost $150 in similar establishments. Plus you have an outstanding view, excellent and friendly service (seriously everyone here is so nice you can't help but feel good here), and it's a winning combination. We spend 5 weeks on the Oregon coast in the summer and will definitely return to the Bay House.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank noodle08
Cobble Hill, Canada
“Change can be good”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had not been to this restaurant for many year but as we had fond memories of it, decided to return.
We found that it undergone substantial change physically and in food service and cost.
We decided to try it anyway and were lucky enough to be able to take advantage of a late cancellation as they were fully booked.
As the owner said we were meant to be there that night.
The meal and service ranked right up there with our all time favorites and we have had many wonderful meals around the world.

Visited July 2014
Mcminnville Oregon
“Outatanding view and a delicious meal.”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

My husband and I spent a romantic night at the coast and this restaurant was great. The view was outstanding and the restaurant staff was friendly and helpful. The food/drinks were great. We had a great time.

• Visited March 2014
waldport, United States
“Good if you like smoky food”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We ate here for my birthday in June. The service was pretty good and staff was great. We had drinks in the bar before dinner, it was very quiet and had a nice, comfortable feel. Then came dinner. The beet salad was beautiful, but bland, needing just a hint of some kind of dressing on it, even though the beets were pickled. The enree I chose was the tenderloin. With mashed potatoes, broccolini, and kale. It was cooked well, but OMG! Everything tasted like it was stuck in a smoker to cook! And I mean everything! I can understand the steak, but the potatoes, kale, and broccolini were so smoky, I couldn't even finish my meal. The owner asked if I'd like the meat " gift wrapped" and I said yes ( I was going to feed it to the dog) . We waited 10 minutes and he never returned so we left. We have eaten at a similar place in Austin (Wink) which has a similar type menu, but it was fantastic at Wink. I'm not comparing the two, but Bay House needs a bit more work to get me back in the door. Also. They parked us next to a room that had a very noisy bunch of wine tasters so we could barely hear ourselves talk. Not a great first impression.

• Visited June 2014
5 Thank Mary F
Stephen W, Owner at The Bay House, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Hi, Mary F.!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your visit to The Bay House. I am so sorry to hear of your disappointment and I offer my most sincere apologies. We usually do a great job of impressing people (see all the other reviews), but it's very disappointing to learn that we failed to impress you. If you get back this way, I hope you'll contact me directly so that we may have another chance. I would be happy to welcome you back as my guests. Now, if I may respond to several of the specific points you made for the benefit of others who might read you comments.

Regarding the beet salad prepared for you, no, the beets are not pickled. The raspberry vinaigrette usually provides a nice tange to the salad, and I myself grow the micro beet greens used to top the salad. I'm not sure what you were expecting, but it sounds as if it was a bit more delicate than you had hoped. I'm glad to hear that the filet was prepared properly, but I can assure you that everything was not "stuck in a smoker to cook". The only component of your dish that was smoked was the 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes presented with the other vegetables. I can only assume that you are especially sensitive to smoked items, so, while this may have overpowered your sense of taste, I do apologize even though I had no way of knowing or controlling this. Also, I do appreciate that you had planned to feed the rest of your filet to your dog (what a lucky dog!), I did not realize that you were in a hurry or expect you to depart so quickly. I must confess that I'm just not as good at chasing down cars in the parking lot as I used to be, but I did try. I then attempted to call you, but discovered that we had no phone number on your reservation.

Now, here's where things get a bit dicey, and I mean no disrespect, but I think you're being unnecessarily harsh on us. Really, comparing your experience at The Bay House to Wink in Austin, Texas? Did you not tell me that your son was the Executive Chef at this restaurant? You better have had a great time there or I'll help you rip on him! I am also sorry that you felt that I 'parked' you at a bad table, but this was simply not the case. We are a small restaurant and I seated you at one of the few window tables that we have in that dining room. There was indeed a group of 20 diners in the adjacent dining room enjoying a pre-dinner reception, but the door between the two rooms was closed to control noise as best we could. When I stopped by to chat with you, you didn't mention a concern, nor did we have difficulty conversing. I would have been happy to move you to another table or booth had I known, but I was unaware that you weren't happy with your seat. Once the group in the other room sat for dinner, things were substantially quieter, but there is little I can do to force others to not enjoy themselves so much.

As I said, call me if you'd like to return. We generally have the uncanny ability to make everyone happy, but I'm not a magician. Just a humble restaurateur providing a dining experience that is unique to the Oregon coast. We'd love to have you back.

Cheers!