“Service as it should be”
Review of The Bay House

The Bay House
Ranked #1 of 109 Restaurants in Lincoln City
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Southwest Jetty
Description: Since 1978, The Bay House has endeavored to be the best restaurant possible, providing first-class service and creative, fresh, honest food and drink in a gorgeous coastal setting. Recently designated as one of only two AAA 4-Diamond Award restaurants in Oregon, the focus remains on world-class hospitality.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

It's so rare that you receive customer service that literally WOW's you. The Bay House delivers on all accounts. After calling in a reservation from our hotel, my husband and I walked over to the restaurant from our hotel (The Looking Glass Inn, we had received a $75 meal voucher with our romance package). We literally had no idea what to expect. We were greeted with "Hello you must be Mr. & Mrs.B... congratulations!" After being seated, our table was sprinkled with tiny heart confetti and every staff member who passed our table stopped to congratulate us on our wedding. We were offered a $100.00 discount on a bottle of Don and our server literally explained and defined every course we were presented with through our dinner sampler and wine pairing. This was the most romantic dinner and the best we've ever been served in all of our travels. Excellence at it's best.

2  Thank Adala B

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We ate at the Bay House about five years ago and had a phenomenal meal, especially for the Oregon Coast. So planning another vacation for the area, I included a dinner with two foodie friends, and if anything it was better than last time.

Steve, the owner sets the tone, warm, friendly and professional. The staff take if from there, with professional, personal yet unobtrusive service. We had a glass of wine in the bar, looking out on the bay, and then moved to the dining room. Some of the best, most interesting salads ever, and perfectly cooked Alaska halibut. Just tremendously cooked food, with the freshest ingredients.

Bay House is known for their wine list, and it doesn't disappoint- there are pages and pages of small-production Oregon Pinots as well as a deep selection of wines from all over the world. We had a 2004 Willa Kenzie Kiana vineyard at Steve's suggestion(OK, two bottles of it)-perfect with our fish.

I knew Bay House had a retail license as well, so we stocked up with a case of wine for our beach house rental week, all reasonably priced.

Speaking of pricing, Bay House is not cheap. For the quality of food, service and ambience it is fairly priced. The wine, however is very inexpensive compared to any other large wine-list restaurant I have been to. Our meal, with all the wine, was surprisingly inexpensive.

If you like fine food, well prepared, in a great setting, with excellent service, and a great choice of wines, Bay House would hold its own in Portland, Seattle or even San Francisco- on the Oregon coast it is a find.

1  Thank dewitthouse
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It was my birthday (the big one...) and I was away from home, working. To celebrate I decided to treat myself to a nice dinner and a super bottle of Oregon's famous Pinot Noir at the Bay House. My friend is a food critic and she had recommended the spot. I drove down to the Bay House and went inside. There was a nice group of ladies in front of me chattering happily. They had been waiting for some time. So we chatted and got to know each other. And waited. Then we waited some more. Finally after at least ten minutes, Mr. Steven Wilson the proprietor appeared apologetic when he figured out how long we'd been standing at the front desk. He seated the first group, while I waited, then eventually came back. He regretfully said there were no tables in the restaurant and offered to seat me in the bar which was fine. He checked and said they would clear a table for me as a couple was leaving. I waited and he sprinted off. After five minutes another couple came in and we spent another ten minutes getting to know each other. Finally Mr. Wilson popped back and seemed surprised to see me. He said they were very casual and I should seat myself. I went into the bar area found the empty table and sat down. I waited and waited and waited, timing the service. After 20 minutes of watching everyone around me being served I left and asked for Mr. Wilson and waited some more. Finally I left, and drove down to Tidal Raves a lovely costal restaurant overlooking the Pacific. The staff could not have been nicer, providing a glass of wine, and seating me after a short wait during which the staff were very solicitous, attentive, and friendly. It was a magnificent dinner with whales spouting in the background and colorful shore birds. I left a tip larger than the cost of the dinner as thanks for the superior service.

If you want to experience overblown, marginalized service, and high prices, overlooking a muddy bay, try The Bay House. If you want to see whales frolicking and be treated as an honored guest try Tidal Raves a few miles down the street. You won't be disappointed.

16  Thank GlobalBizPro
Stephen W, Owner at The Bay House, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Hello, GlobalBizPro,

Honestly, I don’t know where to begin with this response. My first inclination is to condemn and insult you for what is so obviously an advertisement for another restaurant at the expense of my own and our reputation, but I don’t wish to convey any undue disrespect. This patently false review is exactly the kind of thing that detracts from the validity of social media as it applies to this kind of public forum. Be that as it may, I will debunk your review and show just how dishonest it is.

First, almost everyone who joins us has reservations, so we rarely have anyone waiting in the lobby for a table. We love walk-ins, but because we only have 15 tables in the dining room, we don’t always have furniture available. I will tell you now, unequivocally that nobody ever waits unnoticed in the lobby, and you should be ashamed of yourself for stating that you did. We take care of people here, we do not ignore them.

This is the first point in your review where I began to doubt that you were ever at The Bay House at all. My card is on the counter where you claim to have been waiting for so long, and yet you spelled my name wrong. The next instance was when you regaled us with the amount of time that you waited in the lounge for a table in the lounge. As I mentioned, we don’t back up our lobby with people waiting for tables because no matter how long you wait, there’s not much chance that we’ll sprout more furniture. Unequivically and in no uncertain terms, at no time has a single person waited in my lobby for a table in the lounge. In the lounge, we have a bar, we have tables, and we have couches, and walk-in guests will either choose one of those options or will depart, vowing to make reservations next time. According to you, by the time you seated yourself at a table, you had already been at the restaurant for 25 minutes, chatting with all the other waiting guests (that also did not exist) and being ignored by myself and my staff.

Now, according to your story, you finally seat yourself at a table that you ‘found’. Then, you spend another twenty minutes being completely ignored by my entire staff, before you ask somebody who wasn’t ignoring you if you could speak to me. Next, you wait around while that person either ignores your request, or if that message was indeed delivered to me, I proceed to ignore you some more until you finally leave.

At this point, your review becomes a not-very-subtle advertisement for Tidal Raves, a restaurant in Depoe Bay that, incidentally, was started by the second owner of The Bay House back in the 1980s. Yes, from time to time, you can see whales from their window, but it takes a sharp eye to catch the occasional spout or fin. Your Disneyesque vision of whales ‘frolicking’ and breaching isn’t anymore accurate than your description of Siletz Bay and your understanding of the tides. Your self-aggrandizing description of your over-tipping is further evidence of your dishonest intent in publishing this review. Of course, we are all very curious as to how you were able to rate our food without ever having had it.

In conclusion, if I felt that you had actually had any kind of a negative experience with us, I would invite you to return as my guest so that we could show what The Bay House is all about. However, I cannot in good faith reward this kind of fraud, and I would recommend that TripAdvisor take appropriate action against you. You should be ashamed.

Steve Wilson
Proprietor

Reviewed June 18, 2013

The Bay House restaurant offers diners an exquisite evening of salivating well prepared gourmet food.Everything was well done including the presentation, wait staff, elegant table setting, and extensive wine list.The waiters were very knowledgeable about wines on the list as well as in describing the individual dishes offered on the menu. Our table had a beef dish, a pasta dish, and duck. The duck was tastefully prepared and presented and was one of the best duck dishes I've eaten.Add a calm water view and you've got a romantic setting.Although the prices are high for this area, it is worth every penny.

1  Thank snortimer
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is THE restaurant I would go out of my way for on the central coast. Outstanding food with service and a wine list to match.

1  Thank A M