“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bay House

The Bay House
Ranked #1 of 104 Restaurants in Lincoln City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Southwest Jetty
Description: Since 1978, The Bay House has endeavored to be the best restaurant possible, providing first-class service and creative, fresh, honest food and drink in a gorgeous coastal setting. Recently designated as one of only two AAA 4-Diamond Award restaurants in Oregon, the focus remains on world-class hospitality.
AP
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

With a false start at another restaurant in town, my wife and I searched for "the place" in Lincoln City to eat. We found it at The Bay House, exceptional quality, great owner and staff,with a laid back lounge perfect for relaxing and enjoying an evening. The chef is clearly focused on presentation and quality and the staff is proud of their establishment. From the art on the walls to a fireplace in the restroom this is a wonderful restaurant.

2 Thank Tom C

Oregon
“Lovely evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The setting here is sublime with a view over the bay with sunset if weather allows. Some of the seating areas feel like you are on top of the water! All of the staff are warm and attentive. The food is excellent for the Oregon coast. I would come back again and likely sit in the bar and enjoy some small plates.

1 Thank OOOOOOregon
Oregon
“Won't return”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

1. Don't believe the sign in the window: "OPEN at 5:00/PM" means you can sit in the lounge and have drinks, but the dining area doesn't open until 5:30/P...just be aware of that.
2. Very limited selection if you don't take the Tasting Menu (and don't trust the menu you may find online since it belongs to the previous restaurant owner and has not be taken down. The newer owners do not offer a menu online...saying only that their menu varies daily...kinda doubt that since their current menu has obviously been around for awhile based on wear 'n tear.)
3. Offered a "TASTING menu" but certainly $$$ (expect $55.00 per person and NOT all items are necessarily what you may even want to try...my companion left a number of things with only a nibble taken.)
Sorry, but just can't say it was worth the anticipation...would have loved to try to lobster the previous owner offered (and is in fact what we were looking for when we made the reservation.) Not saying don't try it...just keep your expectations low and wallet wide open.

5 Thank Kevin T
Stephen W, Owner at The Bay House, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hello, BestonOR101!

Wow. Sometimes it's a challenge to be civil and control myself when responding to some of these reviews, but in the interests of good humor and a polite dialogue, here goes.

First, people do, and should, believe our "Open at 5:00 PM" sign in the window. We were indeed open at 5:00 pm, about the time you and your partner arrived without reservations. Food and drink are available in our lounge beginning at 5:00, but had you called for a reservation, as most of our guests do, you would have been informed that we begin dinner service in the dining room at 5:30. As always, we did our best to make you feel welcome and appreciated until we were ready to seat you, and after confirming that the chef and the room were ready, I did in fact seat you at my personal favorite window table at 5:25.

When the waiter informed me of your confusion regarding our online menu, I got online and discovered that our current menu was properly posted. I reported back to you, at which time you told me that you had seen lobster listed, something we do not carry. When I went back online, I Googled "lobster, The Bay House, Lincoln City" and got a page fragment from the former owners' website listing lobster for $28. The page also had a date at the bottom of 2006, the year I took over. I also reported this back to you, and apologized for your confusion even though we were not responsible for your confusion. Now, I'm just a lowly restauratuer and I don't know how the internet works, but, seriously, I resent your implication that we were trying to trick you or anybody else. Our menu does change regularly and it is kept up to date on our website (www.thebayhouse.org). Wear and tear on our menus?!? Again, you're joking, right? The leather covers are in excellent shape and the inserts are freshly printed regularly. We don't serve frozen food, and fishing and gathering seasons change so regularly that the menus don't get a chance to get soiled. In fact, salmon season had recently closed, so the printing you saw was very fresh.

Please accept my apologies for your perception of the price of our 5-course tasting menu. At $55, I feel it presents excellent value, especially considering that everything is fresh (not frozen) and made right here. If you were to compare it to any other similar offering anywhere else, you would see what I mean. Whenever I want to see "expensive", I go to the gas station!

In closing, I, too, would have loved to have had lobster available for $28, but times do change. I do think you could have tempered your review based on the information that I provided you, but I understand that some people do enjoy stretching a story for the sake of the reader. I'm just a little disappointed that you tried to make your review more dramatic at our expense and the expense of the truth.

No matter. We'd be happy to welcome you back at some point in the future, but in the mean time, we will continue to practice our art form, and continue to offer the highest quality of food, drink, and service that we possibly can.

Cheers!
Steve Wilson
Proprietor
Medford, Oregon
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have been going to the Bay House for over 20 years. In fact, we would find a reason to go to Lincoln City just to eat at The Bay House. Service was excellent, atmosphere super, it was the menu that disappointed us. They have gone to a tasting menu and offer very few selections that are not on the tasting menu. Seafood selection poor...two choices..salmon and an appetizer of scallops. One would think that seafood would be a major item at a coastal restaurant. Sorry to say, we will not be returning to The Bay House. By the way, the menu on their website is totally misleading.

4 Thank Ray C
Stephen W, Owner at The Bay House, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Hello, Jay C.!

Thank you for joinong us at The Bay House recently, and thank you for the kind words you shared regarding our level of service, comfort, and atmosphere.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointment regarding what you perceive to be a limited menu selection, but there are reasons that this is necessary for the health of our business and our goals as a restaurant. While we do offer a fantastic 5-course tasting menu (for the very reasonalbe price of just $55!), we also have an al a carte selection, though as you pointed out, it is somewhat limited. I spent the first 6 years of my ownership with a much larger menu selection that proved incredibly expensive for us to offer, especially considering the seasonality of our location and the small size of our coastal community. For the past year, we have found that presenting a smaller selection of higher quality items far outweighs the benefits of a larger, less focused offering. Overall, guest response to this evolution has been overwhelmingly positive.

The principle reason that this makes sense is that we do not use frozen food. Everything we serve is fresh and made right here. There are plenty of places that offer a larger menu, but this is only accomplished by using frozen food. Likewise, your impression of a coastal restaurant offering more seafood is again hampered by our refusal to serve frozen, out-of-season seafood. The fishing seasons on the Oregon coast restrict what is available to us, and I'm sorry to say that salmon is once again out of season as well. Again, lots of places offer frozen salmon, halibut, etc., but we will not. Be that as it may, I do apologize for your disappointment, but rest assured, we have the best interests of our guests at heart.

Finally, I am uncertain about your comment regarding a misleading website menu. Are you sure you're looking at the right website? Our menu is posted at www.thebayhouse.org. The menu is current and up to date, and I have never tried to mislead anyone. Luckily, I don't offend easy! Again, I am sorry that you won't be returning, but I hope that at some point, you will again be interested in the level of quality that I insist that we provide to our guests. We'll keep practicing in the mean time, just in case you have a change of heart!

Again, thank you for your years of support of The Bay House. We'll miss you, but we remain committed to our art form, even if some of our guests desire another qualitative direction.

Cheers!

Steve Wilson
Proprietor
Redmond, Oregon
“Wonderful service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

Very elegant place to eat. The service is impeccable. Had the mesclan salad which was a piece of culinary art. Decided to have appetizers for dinner as not terribly hungry. The spinach ravioli with smoked salmon is very rich, the steamed clams are plentiful but served with choriso which I felt was too spicy for the clams. The menu is limited and wouldn't recommend it for families.