“Not As Good As It Used To Be”

Liberty Inn Lincoln City
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed March 25, 2009

My sister and I stayed at the Liberty Inn for three nights on a little getaway trip. I had stayed there several times before and had been very pleased, this time, not so much.

We arrived at 5:00pm to find that our room wasn't ready, but were given another. That was ok, it was still a double queen with fireplace and view. The room was good sized with a desk, chair, sofa and coffee table. There was a microwave and refrigerator. The fridge didn't work and after calling that evening a new one was sent up. It still only worked some of the time. When my sister moved it to another outlet it finally did work, guess the original plug in was faulty.

We liked having a double sink out side the bathroom, lots of space and ample shampoo/conditioner, lotion, make up remover (that's a new one) and nice, thick towels.
What we didn't like was coming back to our room the second day at about 6:30 in the evening was to find that the sink area not cleaned up and the beds unmade. I called the front desk and told them a note was left that we had the beds covered with personal items and they couldn't remove them. That's a new one on me, it was a bathrobe on one bed and a small throw blanket on the other. Give me a break, not acceptable.

The breakfast was actually pretty good as motels go. There was the usual beverages, cold cereal, instant oatmeal, assorted mini muffins and danish, yogurt, biscuits and gravy (much better that I thought they'ed be), apples, bannas, toast, bagels and make your own waffles with strawberrys and whipped cream. They had fresh baked cookies in the afternoon also.

Though our room smelled fine there was an awful smell in the hallways all the time. It was like "body odor", icky. Also on two of the days they were doing some remodeling in one of the rooms and there was a horrible varnish smell in the lobby and coffee/food area, really bad.

There was also a mixup on our departure and they had us scheduled to leave a day early, thank goodness there was no problem in getting the last night I'm sure because the place seemed half empty,

I have always enjoyed staying at the Liberty Inn in the past so it was kind of a disappointment this time. I don't know if it's changed owners or not. I will probably give it another try.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
libertymanager1, General Manager at Liberty Inn Lincoln City, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2009

To this guest and whom it may concern;

Darn! I hate to see it when we don't knock the socks off our customers in quality and service! (We sure try hard.) Mark my words, our promise is to try even harder!

I'll speak with our housekeeping supervisor regarding "the judgment of personal items". We're careful not to disturb our guest possessions, but in this case, I have to agree with you. (I apologize)

On a positive note, the remodeling you encountered is complete and we look better then ever!! Fyi..some of those remodeling projects you encountered were part of our effort to update our Inn and create an expanded “warm” breakfast area that will start your day with us just right!

Our owners remain the same but we do have a few new faces, (including mine) and I'll hope to meet you. Rest assured, we’re all committed to ensure that our guests experience is comfortable and enjoyable stay in Lincoln City.

I do hope you'll provide us with another opportunity to experience the Liberty Inn at its best. I’m confident that on your next stay with us you'll find that we really are not the same....we're better!!

Reviewed October 27, 2008

Very Close to Chinook Winds Hotel and Casino
Fairly distant view...so I would say view rooms not needed.
Much Better then average Breakfast with
a lot of attention to detail. This attention to detail
resonates throughout the facility.
I would say it was about the best kept Pool area and Hot tub
with very good temp. and lots of towels.
This type of attention to detail does not exist unless
the owner is deeply concerned that management does a
superior job. Real Value for the dollar.
The down side is bed is poorly located in viewing from the T.V.
and I would give the bed an 8 on the confort scale. A pillow top
would do it.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2008

We arrived at the property well before check in time (around 10:00 a.m.) and were greeted by the property manager, Sheryl Willis. We explained that we were on our way to seeing the sights of Newport and wanted to let them know we were in the area. Sheryl very kindly checked to see if any rooms were available in the type we had reserved. Nothing was available, but she allowed us to check in and set the keys aside for us to come back later. She and hotel desk clerk, Ela, offered suggestions on things to see in the area and provided a "lay of the land," along with some maps. We returned to our room around 5:00 that day.

The room was lovely and clean. It had two queen beds and a small love seat, micro/frig, and nice size bathroom with separate vanity outside. My only complaints on the room would be the mattresses (not overly comfortable) and pillows, which were not very thick.

The continental breakfast was quite good and included the usual fare (make your own waffles, bagels, muffins, pastries, biscuits/gravy, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, etc.) The dining area was large and offered plenty of seating for guests.

This is not an oceanfront property, but the Chinook Winds Casino is very close by, and Newport is an easy 35 minute drive. The rates are excellent for what you get. The property is a great value.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to others. Thanks to Liberty Inn for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank slrtravelplanner
Reviewed July 27, 2008

I stayed here 1 week after family member was checked into Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital. Hotel is a few miles from hospital but is still one of the closest. It is within a few blocks of the beach and of a casino. Grocery store, cafes, and other shops within 1 block. Very nice casino campground next door. In general, area is pleasant.

Hotel is either relatively new or exceptionally well maintained. Staff was helpful and friendly. Rooms are standard size and layout and very clean. Didn't have a chance to check out the amenities but they do have a continental breakfast and laundry. As stated before, the hotel is several blocks from ocean but some higher rooms on the ocean side do have an ocean view.

Hotel is a good choice if you need clean, comfortable accomodations and are OK with not being on the ocean.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank caneyfork
Reviewed April 12, 2008

Rooms are always clean. Its location a little ways from Highway 101 in a residential area keeps it quiet. Continental breakfast is fine--the usual assortment of waffles, cereal, etc. Shuttle provides transportation to and from casino. Distance from beach is irrelevant to me; I lived on the coast for years. It's a great getaway for Portland Metro area residents. The only negative is their Website: it doesn't always show their special rates advertised the the paper. I've stayed there four or five times.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank glinda1
Reviewed March 26, 2008

I have stayed at the Liberty several time in the last few years and have noticed that even though it is new - they have remodled the sinks, tv's and the beds. I think it is soooo quite. I love to wind down listening to the quite.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank beachlady52
Reviewed February 6, 2008

This hotel was very nice, clean, and found the staff very pleasant. My wife and I stayed in the King Jacuzzi suite. Found the room very spacious and clean. Nice comfortable King size bed with 2 TV’s, a DVD player, and a dorm size fridge in the room. The Morning breakfast was quaint, had a waffle machine, cereal with small milk cartons (I hate the serve yourself milk machines, never know how long the milk has been sitting) and a bunch of other breakfast items that the whole family could choose from. I booked the room for one night, and then decided a couple days later to stay an extra night. I called the hotel and they said our room was booked for that second night. I wasn’t too worried about switching rooms so I booked a different room for the second night. Later that afternoon of booking that second room, the hotel personnel called saying that the people who booked our room for that second night canceled and asked if we wanted the room for a second night…. Thanks for the great service.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple