“Overpriced dirty hotel that I would never stay in again.”

Nordic Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland
“Overpriced dirty hotel that I would never stay in again.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

I stayed at this hotel in July 2009 with my husband and two children after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. I have been to Lincoln City several times and can honestly say that there are several other hotels in the area that offer the same view and a CLEAN room for a much better price. I would never ever stay here again for the price. We paid $150 a night and the only time it seemed worth it is if I was staring directly out the front window.

Whoever wrote that it was a great vacation spot for families obviously didn't have young children - the hotel is three stories and the fence on each landing leaves about a two foot gap from the floor that a child could easily slip through. We were on the third floor and everytime we opened the door we had to grab our youngest child so he wouldn't run out on the landing. The walk down to the beach was steep and dangrous and there were no screens on the wide open windows making it impossible to leave them open without having to stay right in front of it the whole time.

The room was dirty and made me thankful that my children could both walk. We paid for a suite and not all of the burners worked on the stove and there were hardly any cooking utensils. Not a big deal if you aren't planning to cook, but we booked the room specifically so we could do just this and were irritated that we had to keep on switching pans to the working burners.

The pool area is filthy and looks like it hasn't been cleaned in at least a decade. My husband had to force me to let my children put their feet in the water.

The continental breakfast was nice each morning, but is only served between 7:30 and 9:30 and you have to wait for a table. The food was simple (grapes, oranges, bagels, toast, cereal), but I wouldn't have expected more from a continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank MamaOPortland
beachinn, Hotel manager at Nordic Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2009
I am so sorry you felt the room was not up to your expectations.We would have gladly done what was needed to make your stay more pleasurable. I am a bit surprised you thought the room was dirty considering we do have a room inspector that checks each room,once they are cleaned.I apologize that you had problems with the stove. Our maintenance person would have gladly fixed this problem if we had known about it.On the pool it is actually very clean.The pool and spa area is cleaned daily each morning .The pool area does need resurfaced .We are in the process of having the resurfacing done and also putting in new tile .We will do this in the winter as not to disturb our guests during our busy season .I do hope you will give Nordic Oceanfront Inn a second chance to show you we really do appreciate and value our guests. We want your stay to be the best that it can be!!Sincerely Yvonne Darr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Charleston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

My husband & I stayed at the Nordic Inn during a trip exploring the Pacific coast. The ocean view from the balcony and watching the sunset from the bedroom window was a relaxing and romantic end to a long day of driving and sightseeing. The room was clean and comfortable with the standard hotel amenities, the staff was friendly, and the surroundings were quiet. We also liked the fact that no pets were allowed!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeachRose15
Aloha, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

We had stayed next door at the Sea Horse just a few weeks before our trip, and while there I spotted this gem of a motel and went over to get a brochure. All the rooms have ocean views, but from seeing the property from the beach, I knew only a few had balconies, so I asked for a room with a balcony. Oh my gosh! The room was a one-bedroom for only around a hundred bucks, with full kitchen, the balcony with COMFY CHAIRS (sling-back plastic, but hey, they felt nice compared to those typical straight-back ones). We immediately felt completely at home and went down to the pool, where we were the only ones - and they have balls to play with - the big blow-up kind, and hubby and I had a ball literally! The pool is not over-chlorinated, and my skin really loved that - plus no horrible smell in there like some indoor pools. The hot tub was lovely and quiet. The sauna was not on and we did not want to wait, but there are two of them and it's the kind you can throw water on the rocks to get steam!

The stairs down to the beach are so wonderful - first it's some beautiful slabs of rock with sand like a path, with little outcrops built so you can stand at the railing and view the ocean from the path. It is a relatively easy hike down compared to the 131 stairs at the SeaHorse next door. It was a full moon, and I'll attach a photo.

The breakfast the next morning, free, was very nice with muffins (chocolate and berry) and cereal and bagels plus yogurt and many other things. We were very impressed also with the staff - who were friendly and seemed to be glad we came! THANK YOU NORDIC! Clean, comfy, good rate and excellent pool/spa. Love it.

• Liked — The room, the pool, the path down to the beach, and especially THE BALCONY (ask for one)
  • Disliked — Nothing, it was ALL GOOD - nothing negative at all.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OldLaughingLady
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

We have been to Lincoln City many times and stayed at a lot of different hotels...but nothing compares to the Nordic Inn. First, you get an amazing view from your room....you literally open your curtains and all you see is ocean. You can leave your windows open @ night and hear the ocean when you sleep. Second, you get great value..at around $100 night, it makes it very affordable to plan a vacation. Third, it is clean and comfy. It is not a resort, but they offer breakfast in the morning and a clean atmosphere.

The only thing that we noticed that may need a bit of attention is there are no screens on the windows on the 3rd floor. It made us nervous to stand in front of the open window...we couldn't help to think how unsafe it would be for a child.

Great beach access and love the location!

• Liked — View from the room
  • Disliked — Outdated pool and sauna
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coreyandlu
san francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2008

We were looking for a family reunion in the Lincoln City, Oregon area. In Trip Advisor, I found this hotel and reviews seemed positive and commented on the things I thought were important.

We booked it for three nights. It was GREAT!! The staff was excellent, the rooms modern and very clean and the view is breath taking. This is truely a Hidden Jewel in Lincoln City. We will be going back. Also very reasonable rates. Felt I had to give a review because I appreciated the reviews that led me to this facility.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — Parking can be limited
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jaroesler
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

This was a great place to stay for a couple of days while exploring the area. The ocean views are fantastic, with beach access by flights of stairs. There seemed to be mostly older people staying, although there are no elevators which made getting the luggage hauled up to the room a chore. But it was quiet and close to what we wanted to see.

• Liked — Location and view
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel for over 10 years but have come to the point where I now see it for what it is - a badly outdated, unkempt, over-rated 2 star hotel with a 5 star view. Yes, of course it has a great view of the ocean - ALL the motels/hotels on the west side of the road do - but that's about all it has. The rooms are dirty and horribly outdated, with cracked paint on the walls, dirt, etc. It doesn't smell, look or feel CLEAN. One of my towels was very dirty, with what looked like either dark makeup or feces on it. When reported to the front desk they said they wouldn't let that happen again but that did nothing to help ME out. The bed was on the somewhat soft side and the pillows were very flat and not conducive to a good night's sleep. The continental breakfast is nothing special and it is in a separate building off in the parking lot. I have decided to check out some of the numerous other hotels along the beach in the future.

• Liked — ocean view
  • Disliked — unclean vibe to the place, over-priced for what you get, which is little more than a great view
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple