“very disappointed”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oregon City, Oregon
“very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We usually stay in cannon beach or Newport at the hallmark in their Jacuzzi suite but really love Lincoln city so we thought we would try the Nordic in room 318 ocean view 2 person window Jacuzzi tub gas fireplace ...the view was FANTASTIC and the Jacuzzi tub was Absolutely PERFECT!....but the decor was dirty the tv was small and tucked into a cubby hole which made for straining to watch it the only sitting was a a small unstable table with two VERY uncomfortable seating the bed was a queen instead of a king and the bed mattress was like sleeping on a cheap hotel bed plus they did not even supply bath robes every other hotel i have stayed in with a Jacuzzi tub had bath robes. I TRULY was SHOCKED by how disappointed I was we paid just under $200 a night for the room we will not be staying again we will pay the extra $64 to stay in a true luxury Jacuzzi suite don't even bother with their conetinal breakfast we ate out both days : (

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Victoria W
beachinn, General Manager at Nordic Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Nordic Oceanfront Inn.I am sorry to hear you were not satisfied with your room.I am a little surprised because our jacuzzi units are very popular. The rooms have a 32 inch flat screen HDTV's which I think is pretty normal for most hotels.I appreciated your comments and will look into the seating and the table issue. We have addressed the robes for the jacuzzi issue. We have ordered some very nice terry robes for use in the jacuzzi units now .Thank you for the suggestion.All of our units have Queen beds except for 3 King Studio units. I am sure when you made your reservations you were advised that our jacuzzi units have Queen beds.I am truly sorry you thought the pillow top bed was uncomfortable.We do strive to make our guests stay as relaxing and as comfortable as possible. We will continue to follow through on many upgrades planned for the future . We do have many loyal guests and hope you will reconsider us as your relaxation destination.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Nordic is always my first choice in Lincoln City because of the oceanfront view, it is locally owned, & friendly staff are personable. Rooms and grounds are always clean. I like the second or third floor so I can keep the window open to better hear the waves rolling onto the beach. Windows are better than hotels with balconies, as it seems the balcony railings interfere with the view when one is sitting. Recently I watched a dozen sea lions swimming in the surf in front of the hotel. Beach access is convenient, as long as you don't mind stairs. You can walk for miles on the sandy beach. I enjoy finding agates. Breakfast is adequate, but I prefer some no fat & low sugar options. Owner is always upgrading & updating; on this visit I saw them re-working the plumbing.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor--you can safely leave a window open at night, plus you can see further out into the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Linda D
Keizer
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

My recent stay was my second one this year. Since my last visit, there has been a new policy that prohibits minors from using the hot tub. We were very surprised and dissapointed. There is a big sign, with big bold red letters posted above the hot tub. It states that no minors are allowed in the hot tub. WHAT?! No well behaved kids? No teenagers? My daughters love to sit in the hot tub when we are on vacation. Beacause of this new policy, we will not be returning to the Nordic. I spoke with another parent in the breakfast room who told me, because of this new policy, they would not be back to the Nordic either. It does not seem like a good business practice (especially in this economy) to exclude families with children and teenagers from this hotel ammenity. We travel as a family several times a year, and have NEVER stayed at a hotel that did not allow minors in the hot tub.

Room Tip: Stay at the Sandcastle Motel instead. It's cleaner, less expensive, more comfortable beds, bigge...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank J-ME-19
beachinn, General Manager at Nordic Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for being our guest at The Nordic Oceanfront Inn. I am sorry you are unhappy about the new guidelines for the spa. We had a few potentially dangerous situations with children swimming in the spa. We want all of our guests to enjoy the facilities and be safe. We do offer a large pool area right across from the spa for swimming. I do appreciate and value you as our guest. I do hope you will reconsider and stay with us again.
Salem, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went at the spur of the moment when I was looking at Hotels.com. The price is reasonable, the facility clean and the view spectacular. They have an indoor pool and hot tub which has windows that open up to get the sea air. It's not the Ritz, but it was perfect for us.

Room Tip: Get a balcony room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan P
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Have been staying at the Nordic for over 30 years, through 2-3 owners. The original owners were the greatest, but they were probably the ones who built the place. Excellent facilities, pool, sauna, spa----well maintained, even todayl! The maintenance staff is excellent, along with the housekeeping. The only place that could use a friendly smile is at the front desk when checking in. Seems like they are doing you a favor to check you in, when you are spending your money to stay there! Excellent location on large, high bluff overlooking the ocean, only the biggest tsunami would be able to get you! Stairs down to the beach, the beach is excellent and very long (several miles).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a deck, 2nd or 3rd floor. Corner rooms are larger with fireplaces. 2nd floor roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe N
Thank you so much for being part of the Nordic Oceanfront Family. We appreciate that you are one of our frequent guests. I so glad that you were happy with your stay. I apologize that our front desk staff was not as inviting as they should have been upon your arrival. I want you to know that I appreciate your remarks and will look into this matter. It is very important to me that all guests are greeted in a friendly and courteous manner. Thank you again!
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Drove down to the coast looking for a place to stay that was close to the ocean, Ocean front, not just ocean views. Saw that the Nordic had vacancy, with beach access. Plenty of rooms available, (thurs/fri night stay). And had a Trip Advisor 2012 signage in the front office window.
No screens on the windows, so if you want to really hear the waves and have that fresh sea air coming into your room you also get all the evenings bugs coming in. Having two little boys with us who kept wanting to look out the window was tough, by only opening just a bit since no screen. Stayed on the 3rd floor, was pretty quiet. Not too many people. Free continental breakfast, which was just waffles/2 kinds cereal/bagels. Heated indoor pool, if you bring your swimming stuff. From the 1st floor access to a desk for lounging, and stairs to head to the sand.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The view was great, we did not get a balcony which was disappointing. The beach access is not made for anyone that can not walk up or down stairs. It is very steep and has a couple right angles. There are a few stops along the way for you to rest if you need too.

The breakfast in the morning was actually very good. The waffles were the best part.

The room was dated but acceptable. We liked the murphy bed in the front room.

The pool was a little dated as well. Just plain, no workout stuff or plants even. It could have been an outdoor pool. Nothing fancy.

All in all we had a nice stay. We were not happy with the front desk staff. The woman was part owner I think. Not sure but she was not friendly at all and they wait to charge your credit card until you check out. So instead of leaving your keys and going you have to go back in.

I think it is a bit of a rip off to not let you check in until 3 or 4pm and expect you out by 11am no matter what. So they say you pay for one day stay but you are shorted a good bit off the 24 hour mark.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank melhug68
beachinn, General Manager at Nordic Oceanfront Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Nordic Oceanfront Inn. I am sorry you were not completely satisfied with our hotel. I regret we did not have a balcony unit available for the dates you requested, but as you stated the view was great! In regards to the pool area it was actually remodeled and has new tile and also was resurfaced. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the complimentary hot continental breakfast. Having hot Belgium waffles in the morning is always a treat. I do apologize if you felt I (the GM) was unfriendly, all of our staff including myself strive to make our guests stay as pleasant as possible. In reply to your check out issues, you can request to pay on check in. We authorize your credit card and charge you at check out as a convenience to our guests, so they can add a night’s stay or movies and popcorn easily.
Our check in and checkout time is what is normal for hotels. Most hotels have check in between 4-6 pm and check out from 11am to noon depending on the business. You are renting for a night not for 24 hours .I am sorry but we do follow general hotel standards. We do hope you will stay with us again so we can show just how much we do appreciate our guests.