“A Most Unhappy New Years”
Review of Dock of the Bay

Dock of the Bay
A TripAdvisor Member
“A Most Unhappy New Years”
Reviewed January 18, 2006

Four of us stayed at Dock of the Bay beginning the Friday afternoon prior to New Years and intended to stay until the Tuesday after. We moved next door to the Siletz Bay Inn on New Years day because of the conditions we couldn't stand one day more.
Garbage cans were overflowing on Saturday with raw garbage spilling down the sides of the cans. I went to the office and asked when they would be emptied. Not until Tuesday. Their dumpster was also overflowing and the desk person suggested that if I had garbage I could take it down the road to public garbage cans. The city should know what they are suggesting. Unbelievable.
On New Years Eve there was a group of roudy 20-somethings going up and down the stairs yelling and laughing a good part of the evening, liquor bottles in hand This was the same group that got sick and vomited off the balcony above ours and threw what I think was dishes into the water, also from the balcony. The next day we saw that they had vomited on the stairs as well. We left on Monday morning and the stairs still had not been cleaned. Went to the office the next day to complain and was told that they had no control over their guests and there was no one there to do any cleaning until Monday. No compensation was offered and no apology. Nothing.
Also, when we went out for an late lunch on New Years Eve, there was the same desk girl leaning against a wall by the office smoking. The next day when we were leaving there was a whole crew of them smoking. I own a business and my employees have a designated smoking area to use out of the public eye as it's not something that prospective customers need nor want to see as it gives off a negative image of any business.
The unit we stayed in was OK but not classy. In both bedrooms the blankets had holes as did the sheets and the bedspreads were faded and needed to be replaced. The towels were thin and scratchy. So bad in fact that we went and bought some to use.
For anyone reading this, don't make the same mistake we did. This is not an 'A' rated establishment and not even a 'B' and from what we saw and experienced they draw to a low-end clientel. Do yourself a favor and stay away from Dock of the Bay on 51st Street in Lincoln City! On a lighter note we were treated well at the Siletz Bay Inn next door.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
OregonShores, Manager at Dock of the Bay, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Oregon Shores is the new on-site management company at Dock of the Bay. We invite you to come back and see the improvements the property has made since we started managing it. We do not allow the garbage to overflow, and have not had any incidents like the one you experienced when you came in 2006. We have a minimum booking age of 25, and require our guests to be responsible and keep quiet hours so everyone can enjoy their stay without being bothered by rowdy guests. Our clientele is couples and small families wanting to get away to a quiet beach vacation. We wouldn't tolerate the behavior you saw when you came in 2006. We have excellent housekeeping and maintain the property cleanliness to the highest standard. Many of the rooms have been completely remodeled with new blankets, bedding, and fully equipped kitchens. Our office staff is helpful and we all work together to make sure you have a pleasant stay at Dock of the Bay.

Thanks again for your review, and we hope you will return to the Dock of the Bay now that is has been much improved and under new management since your stay in 2006. Thank you!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Reviewed August 13, 2005

Stayed at two ocean front places that were OK, but we really enjoyed our stay at Dock of the Bay! The view from the top floor, (3rd floor), was great. Situated right on Siletz Bay, the view was ever changing as the tide came in and out. We could see the ocean beyond the dock by Mo's restaurant, (though it was a distant view). And we love Mo's... always have to get their clam chowder! But there also are several other good places to eat within a 2 or 3 minutes walking distance. Even a nice IGA store with a good selection of wine, (our room had a full kitchen with a dishwasher). The room was clean. Loved having a seperate bedroom, (my wife slept in while I had my coffee on the deck and gauked at the view). Saw several Blue Heron, Osprey, and even a Bald Eagle. And when we walked down to the ocean, (about a 5 minute walk), we saw sea lions sunning themselves on the beach. We like staying at places where you can park the car, and easily walk for everything you need. Dock of the Bay satisified that with 5 stars!

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 25, 2005

Stunning views of the oregon coast line on the Slietz Bay in lincoln city, clean upscale rooms with full size kitchens, and a relaxed atmosphere is what this motel offered me. Lincoln city and it's inhabitants have a casual, kick back manner that automatically set me into a layed back mode. you can shop until you drop, have a gormay dinner, and walk the beach during a beautiful sunset, all within footsteps from your room. Afterwards, my husband and I returned to our quiet room and watched videos and a little tv, then we cracked the sliding glass door to listen to the waves crashing gently onto the beach, such a romatic atmosphere! The next morning a smiling casually dressed clerk checked me out. I found that most of the working force in lincoln city dressed and acted casual, it made me feel right at home, on my vacation the last thing I wanted to be reminded of was work.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 16, 2004

We stayed here for the 4th of July with some family members and it was just wonderful. I never thought that not having a ocean view would be this great. Hopefully we can come back and stay with you guys sometime in the near future. Keep up the good work.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2004

This place has the best view at the best price! I totally disagree with the person below. How can they say this is a bad place to stay? I have been going to this hotel for over 5 years and it is wonderful. It is in a great location and right on the sand and water, PLUS all the comforts of home. All the condos are decerated differently and they all have there own theme. I will always come back to this place. Great job guys!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2004

This is one of the best places I've stayed at. My childern love it because they have the beach and many things they can do in this area of Lincoln city.As for the previse review I don't know what that guy was expexting but I find the staff very polite and helpful they answered my questions and treated me very well during my stay. 5 stars.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2004

This is the best place I have stayed in in the Lincoln City area. I feel the view from the rooms at the Dock of the Bay are far more enjoyable then any ocean view you can get in town. The seals can put on quite a show, and the beach is great for letting your kids play in the sand. I will definitly be coming back to this hotel soon.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member