“I love the Inn at Spanish Head”

Inn At Spanish Head
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Lincoln City
Reviewed April 28, 2007

The Inn at Spanish Head is a funny place. Each condo is indivdually owned and decorated by the owner. What you need to remember is that if you get a room that you are dissatisfied with, you just ask for another one. My family has been going to the Inn for probably 20 years. I am always very specific about what type of room and view I want. We always get the one bedroom suite which is very roomy, and can sleep an entire family. The views are spectacular and each suite has a deck where I sit alot of the time I am there. The food has always been delicious and the rooms are always very clean. The last time we stayed there, we weren't satisfied with our room and we asked for another. I wanted something that looked like it was in a magazine and boy did we get just that!! It was absolutely beautiful. So, it never hurts to ask. Just get the web specials (you have to specifically ask for them). They are usually good. It's expensive but worth the trip. Tip: Go to Tidal Raves in Depot Bay for dinner, it is wonderful.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Katrina51

Reviewed February 2, 2007

Small rooms. Most of the exercise equipment was broken and unusable. Some small logs/debris had washed up to the bottom step of the stairs going down to the beach. Instead of clearing it away, the steps were taped off so you couldn't use them. For what you get, the Inn at Spanish Head is overpriced.

• Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank tomat
Reviewed September 30, 2006

My boyfriend and I planned a 4 night getaway to the Oregon Coast. We had never been there before, so didn't know what to expect. We are both Canadian and had travelled 8 hours to get there, plus are used to good service and appreciate a great hotel. I found the hotel's website through a search engine, and the website was fantastic so we booked it there. Once we arrived, we found out that we had been upgraded to a studio suite (originally we had booked a bedroom suite). After staying in the studio suite, I highly recommend it since it was quite large and very convenient to have a kitchen available. Our room even came with a DVD player/VCR which was a huge bonus. You can rent movies from the front desk for only $3!! Definitely convenient and less expensive than other resort hotels.

The property is absolutely stunning. Our view was out of this world. I recommend staying on the 6th floor if possible, because this floor has HUGE decks attached to the rooms. I just wish we had more time to sit out there and enjoy the view. But we did get a chance to walk along the beach (you can access the beach easily from the first floor).

The hotel staff was very pleasant. There was only one time which the front-desk personnel made no eye contact with us and did not seem very friendly. On the whole though, the staff was very nice and professional.

There are only two drawbacks to this hotel. One is that the parking is quite far away (however easily accessible by walking through a tunnel instead of crossing the highway above). You have to walk uphill to get to your car, which could be a problem for disabled persons, etc. However, there is a shutte van which you can take from the hotel to the parking lot. I arrived alone late one night with groceries in my hands, but there was a shutte waiting for me which came right up to my car, and the driver helped me with my bags which was really appreciated.

The other drawback is that although the restaurant and lounge have fantastic views and amazing food/drink, the service is incredibly slow. I think that they are severally understaffed. We had to wait so long in the lounge for service, that my boyfriend ended up going to the bar to order himself a drink. That was the most annoying thing, and something that I hope this Inn works on to maintain customer service. However, if you do go to the restaurant, try the Coconutty Halibut with the cous cous - it was one of the best meals of my life!!!! In the lounge, try the key lime martini or the sour apple martini, they were fantastic.

Overall though, we had a wondeful stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone. The views are to die for, and there is nothing like falling asleep to the sound of the waves, and waking up to that amazing view.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Member007
Reviewed August 18, 2006

We went to this hotel to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. (We stayed at the Salishan the first 2 nights, then moved to this one because lack of availability at the Salishan).

The view from our room was spectacular, but the room (339) was outdated and baddly needed a renovation. This was one of the only rooms without a balcony, but as a result, we had a larger room. We were traveling with 3 small children, so the extra room was a plus, but the balcony would have been nice.

We know that our room was not as nice as some of the other rooms (we peeked into rooms as we passed if the door was open), so we felt a bit cheated. The hotel's beach access is wonderful, but there were other hotels that appeared to have the same immediate beach access. This hotel bills itself as "the only hotel on the Oregon coast build directly on the beach", but I saw quite a few other hotels that appears to be right on the beach.

For $199/night, we didn't feel the room was worth the price. The room service menu was outrageous as was the dinner menu. The walk from the parking lot (offsite) was uphill and difficult (and a bit dangerous) for those with small children. I've since research some other nice hotels on the beach and their rates were less.

Overall, we had a nice time on their beach, but would probably opt to stay somewhere less expensive or be really specific in requesting a room that has been renovated in the last 5 years. Room ambiance is not everything, but it counts when you are paying $199/night.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank CRK
Reviewed August 10, 2006

We have been going to the Inn for many years but this time our stay was probably the best yet!! The room that we were assigned will be one that we request in the future. The owners of the unit had it decorated so beautiful and relaxing! There were tons of movies to watch (though we didn't spend time doing that), games and puzzles in the closet and the kitchen was pretty well stocked with what we needed to make our 4 night stay very wonderful.. We had one of the oversized balconies up on the 3rd or 4th floor and a beautiful view south down the beach..

The tide was pretty low so we spent many days with the kids out on the rocks just north of the hotel looking at hundreds of starfish, crabs and other sea critters...

This is one of our favorite places on the Oregon Coast to stay!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank doodlebugakj
Reviewed August 1, 2006

Our room was small and I would agree with others that I was expecting much more. We had a very bright light on the balcony that illuminated the beach area at night. This meant we had to close all doors and drapes in an attempt to sleep. With only a double bed, sleeping was not comfortable. This was billed as a "deluxe" room. I would rate it as average at best. The restaurant on top has wonderful views but again the quality was not commensurate with the prices. I would stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank awayonvacation
Reviewed June 27, 2006

After all the good things we had read and heard about the Inn at Spanish Head, we were disappointed with our stay. The ocean view was beautiful and we loved the balcony. However, because of security reasons we had to keep the sliding door and window locked at night. Sleeping with the sound of the waves and feeling the ocean breeze was lost. Instead of carpeting our room had tile floors. Its was evident that it had not been vacuumed since the last guest as there was sand on the floor and we had not even been to the beach yet. Glasses and the coffee pot were not cleaned after we used them. The front desk, bellman and valet were very nice. However we probably will stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: June 2006