“Good Choice for Sushi on the Coast, but Could be Cleaner”

Momiji Japanese & Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 110 Restaurants in Lincoln City
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2011

My daughter and I have been patronizing Momiji for many years, both in Salem and in Lincoln City. We've always enjoyed our meals there. This last visit we ordered salmon nigiri, a shrimp tempura roll and a Salem roll, and all were very good. The sushi chef wisely advised us to try the salmon or tuna, and advised against a couple of other choices he said were not as fresh. I appreciated his advice and the salmon was perfect. We also ordered mu shu pork for the first time, which we found tasty, if a bit on the greasy side. It came with five pancakes and plum sauce for rolling our own "burritos". I'm not sure we'd order it again, but it was good enough. We arrived late in the evening, about an hour before closing. There were a number of children in the restaurant, most of whom were family. The owner's mother waited on us with her grandchild bundled on her back, and two older children (maybe 5 and 7?) were back with the sushi chef. While the food and service has always been good at this restaurant, I've always been dismayed by the cleanliness of the common areas. Everything seems to be sticky, from the pencils you write down your sushi order, to the bathrooms, to the dirty carpet on the floor, to the plastic wallets they bring with your bill. We would go more often if they spent more attention to keeping the place cleaner. And while we initially enjoyed watching the children in the kitchen, I have to say I was horrified when I saw the little boy grab a handful of rice from the sushi rice pile with his bare little hand when the sushi chef briefly turned away. Perhaps that pile of rice was going to be thrown out at the end of the day, or perhaps it was going to be saved for the next day, but either way, hygiene-wise, it's probably better to keep young children from being in the kitchen areas. Overall, the food is adequate, the sushi good, and while the location in the outlet mall causes the prices to be higher, it's handy for those shopping to have a good meal in a family - run restaurant.

Reviewed February 1, 2011

Momiji is a Japanese-Chinese restaurant/teriyaki stand located in the factory outlet mall. The service was excellent and the food was decent and a good value for the money. The owner is Chinese and offers both Chinese and Japanese dishes including sushi. The sushi was very good for the price, the Japanese dishes were tasty and the portions good. The Chinese dishes were on par with other Chinese restaurants in the area and were a good value. The sushi bar was well decently stocked and the dining area/sushi bar appeared clean and well taken care of. We would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a fast, hearty, value priced Asian meal.

Reviewed January 21, 2011

It wasn't the absolute best I've ever had... but very good. At least what I ordered: A lunch bento - veggie tempura, salad, chicken teriyaki, rice. For me, it was enough for two lunches. I took some home for a "snack later." Yes. it's Americanized . But for a quick lunch - good service and food.

Reviewed November 9, 2010

I'm shocked that there is only 1 previous review for this restaurant. It's been there for 5ish years that I know of. This 50 mile stretch of the Oregon Coast definately lacked good Asian food until Momiji's opened in the factory outlets. It has an extensive sushi bar which my husband thoroughly enjoys. There is also a varied chinese menu where your choices are hardly limited. Instead of something like lunch #1, 2 and 3, you design your plate to your appetite size and liking. Food presentation is top notch, prices are low, and taste is superb. General Tao's chicken is the best here. The only thing to watch out for is the inclusion of the tip on the bill- a couple visits ago, I noticed it in the initial bill and hadn't noticed it on many previous visits. It's quite deceiving and easy to double tip here- although service is great. I didn't appreciate this once I noticed it and wondered if it had always been that way and I had been unknowingly double tipping. We are a family of 5 and I don't generally see tip inclusions until the party reaches 8 or more. Oh well. Small, clean, cultural, friendly atmosphere. One of the best recommendations on the Oregon Coast for food quality and budget minded travel.

1  Thank Lv2BTraveling
Reviewed October 16, 2010

They are one of the best chinese in Lincoln City and the service is always top notch!!!