“Small plates satisfy”

Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I are 60-ish and local to Five Spice in Lake Oswego. We've enjoyed meals there on the outdoor deck in the summer, bar-side in the Autumn, by the fireplace in Winter, and finally tried the dining room for Valentine's Day. It has always been a good experience, even when we only order happy hour sized meals and a bottle of wine. It feels sophisticated but not snobby. Try it.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I give him high marks on food quality. Dont even think about deviating from their menu. Not an option

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food, great selection of wine. Had the steelhead - OMG. It was fantastic - perfectly prepared. I can only dream about it now. Amazing fresh oysters - I'm a fan now when I had never really been. Coconut shrimp just okay. Great wine selection. Just loved it. Want to go back.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Five Spice has it all - great view of Lakewood Bay, beautiful interior and fabulous food. The happy hour menu can't be beat for a varied selection of small plates and several wines and cocktails to consider.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have visited Five Spice a number of times. Located in the heart of a nice shopping/dining area, Five Spice is beautifully appointed and sits on the upper floor allowing a stellar view including the lake. The dining area is quite lovely and low lit. An outdoor balcony complete with gas fire pits wraps around two sides of the building and offers a wonderful extension during nice weather. An upscale bar offers a nice happy hour and has always been packed during our visits.

Oddly, I don't know if there are any females who work here other than the hostess; regardless, with the exception of tonight when the hostess gave a waiter a high-five right next to our table, the wait staff has always been good. Our waiter tonight, and he's been our waiter in the past, was charming and delightful. He knew his menu and was properly engaging, timing regarding drink refills and order taking was spot on and he also read us perfectly and knew what kind of joking put us at ease.

Tonight though, we took umbrage with two things, the menu and the kitchen. The prices have got up, and by a lot. $39 for tenderloin is high for the area, as is $34 for halibut. We started with an artisan cheese plate, a go-to every time which always delivers, $13. After both of us thoroughly enjoyed a butter lettuce salad, $8 each, my wife went for her favorite, Draper Farms chicken with mushroom ravioli and a warm broccoli salad priced at $24 and it was different from past visits, not as good. Wife does not like much dressing on a salad and found tonight’s underdressed, and the chicken was overcooked and dry; glad I did not order this. I selected smoked pork tenderloin, $27; the accompanying Chinese green beans were actually asparagus which was good, and both the fried rice and asparagus were topped with a pineapple habanero chutney that was awesome; the heat started slowly and built to a brilliant finish. The pork however was not so good, cooked very well done it was dry.

We were seated right next to the kitchen and as such could watch the inter-working of the kitchen staff, we even asked our waiter what roles the people played. The head or executive chef was an incredible disappointment. He was often in the back of the kitchen, out of sight, and likely had tasks there requiring his presence. When in the open kitchen though, and that means open to the dining room where all guests can watch his actions, it seemed his most common task was checking his PDA for text messages, and responding of course. To the point he had to plug his phone into the charger. He actually answered a call on his cell on the floor of the kitchen. And the feeling I got when he took one of the blue towels they were using to wipe down plates and cleaned his hands and then wiped down his face and then used it to pick up tongs kind of made my uneasy. Uneasy is not a good feeling in a restaurant.

The sous chef was the star and seeing him put us more at ease. This cat was all business, stoic in action, spoke with purpose. He never left the kitchen, had a handle on everything going on, and projected the image of how I want my chef to look and act.

Five Spice is a place to which we may return. Its tough to just give up on a restaurant that has been a favorite for years. The atmosphere is awesome and wait staff always the same, impressive. If you want to impress a date with an extensive, good wine list, this is a good call. If you think paying $30-$40 for a pretty good entree and sides in a beautiful place is a good idea, this is it. If you are okay with a little less impressive ambiance, a much lower price, and good food, you might try somewhere else.

1  Thank Swim54low