“Nice decor, so-so food.”

Five Spice Seafood + Wine Bar
Ranked #7 of 152 Restaurants in Lake Oswego
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We found this place wandering around Lake Oswego and decided to try it for lunch. Friday afternoon right around 12:30 and not a lot of people in it. We decided on sandwiches for lunch and they were o.k.. I had spicy tuna and my partner had pulled pork. It took a very long time for lunch to show up and sorry to say but they were not all that appetizing. The seafood menu must be better but its pretty pricey. I know this is Lake Oswego but there are a lot of restaurants that serve great seafood for less. The wine bar does have a excellent selection and a glass runs any where from $16 to $9. Very nice views too.

1  Thank Steve A
There are newer reviews for Five Spice Seafood + Wine Bar

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Three of us had lunch and all had the same item, shrimp and cheese on toasted bread with fries. Everything was just warm at best and the toasted bread was soggy. The cheese wasn't entirely melted. Fries were cold. Expecting something better for sure at $9 a plate and we were the first to arrive at noon and there were no other diners, so they weren't crowded.

1  Thank Bilmo
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We love, love, love the happy hour at Five Spice. They have great cocktails & wine, appetizers, salad & items which are affordable & great for an early dinner! Very nice upscale atmosphere. It's also wonderful for dinner or special occasion. Outdoor covered patio overlooks the lake. Highly recommend.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Yes, my title says not to read reviews, which means you could even ignore mine. I say this because my husband and I got a gift card here and were looking into going for our anniversary, but saw mixed reviews. Bad reviews always throw people off, so I wasn't sure what to expect.. but it was one of the best meals ever!
So yes, we had a gift card, so pricing aside in this review, which I know is a big deal. We might not have ordered the same if it weren't for the gift card as I'm a worrier when it comes to money. So anyway...
We went on a Monday night, so it was pretty slow and we were able to get a table outside. My husband ordered the Mahi Mahi which was in some kind of curry sauce. He really enjoyed it and I tried it and thought it was delicious as well. As for me, I ordered the special (not on the menu) which was pan fried king salmon with a lobster butter risotto with heriloom tomatoes and spinach. It was fantastic!!!!! I still crave that risotto and it's been nearly 2 and a half weeks since we went!
So all in all, we really enjoyed the food. The atmosphere is nice and the waiter was attentive. I know that every place can have a one off night, but if you are thinking about going, just go. Let your own experience and palette be the judge, not someone who had one bad experience.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I'm sad to say that I wasn't overly impressed. We had a reservation and were met by the hostess with a darling child in tow. While very engaging, I had to question how appropriate it was to have a child wishing us a nice dinner. We had an equally engaging waiter, who didn't write down our orders and when a mistake was made, allowed us to keep the small plate we got and brought us a new one without question, which I thought was the right thing to do, but still very nice.

They have an iPad listing their wines and spirits which, while quite avant garde, presented problems as there was only one for the four of us to share. Additionally, it clearly stated that there were six bottles of the wine we ordered, but in reality, there were NO bottles! Apparently, the inventory is not updated, therefore it's a questionable tool for keeping track. To their credit, the waiter suggested a comparable wine that was more expensive and charged us only for the one we ordered. Once again, the right thing to do, but very nice.

My main issue, other than squinting into the sun until it set, was the food. We ordered a number of small plates to share and found few that justified the price. The crispy chicken spring rolls were simply not good. They were tough and chewy. The best things we ordered were the Mongolian ribs and the crunchy coconut shrimp. The other dishes fell somewhere in between--not great, not awful. I just expected more! All in all, I just can't get excited about it and more than likely would try someplace else, since there are so many places from which to choose. I didn't think the price was justified and, although I have no complaints regarding the service, I didn't feel that the restaurant as a whole was deserving of four stars--if I could have given it three and half, I would have. The setting is certainly lovely, but the food needs improvement.