“Reliably Good Place to Stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lake Oswego
Eagle, Idaho
“Reliably Good Place to Stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We've stayed here probably a dozen times over the last five years, sometimes by ourselves and sometimes with friends or family. Most recently, roughly March of this year, that was for a couple of day stay with friends from the East coast.

On our departure, was at 4:00a to catch an early flight at PDX, one of the staff who knew we were leaving early made sure the coffee was on in the lobby so we could grab a cup on our way out. And our friends said, "Nice place. Friendly people. Comfortable beds. We'd stay again."

Which seems like a pretty decent summary. And we'd add that this property has at least a dozen advantages we can think of, listed roughly in order of path of travel from the parking lot not necessarily priority of importance.

1. Convenient location with easy on / off I5 and just a few minutes from downtown Portland. (Easy drive - under 40 minutes - to the Willamette wine country too.)

2. Free parking in the large lot. (And, important for many travelers, accessible (ADA) parking which is always fully used.)

3. Well maintained, spacious lobby - nicely lit, comfortably furnished and clean. (With fireplace too.)

4. Friendly staff.

5. Adequate sized guest rooms and bathrooms which are clean and in good working order.

6. Grab bar in shower in the standard rooms. (Very smart for hotels to do as "boomer travelers" - we both are -age.)

7. Quiet at night on the room floors.

8. Good in room technology - free (and reliable) wi fi and flat screen TV.

9. Microwaves, coffee makers and refrigerators in room.

10. Accessible rooms (ADA) in decent locations in the hotel. Hardly any in the hospitality industry in the Portland area get equal access minimums as right. If you travel with friends who need accessible rooms, you've had those "second class person" experiences elsewhere - not here.

11. Breakfast available for ten bucks if you're in a pinch. (We FAR prefer this set up to "free" breakfast with the cost sunk into the room rate since we seldom eat breakfast at a hotel.)

12. Good, complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning to grab and go.

That all said, if we could wave a magic wand we'd put a light blanket as standard issue in every room given the duvet on the bed always seems too warm to sleep under. And we'd add a couple of more stations to the TV listings line up. But those are small things.

We reward good hospitality services with our wallet. It's why we stay here on many of our visits to Portland and refer friends too. Who are so pleased that they refer friends and they are so pleased they refer....

Lately we've seen the rates go up and there have several occasions when the rooms were booked and we needed to stay elsewhere. So I guess that means the secret is out. Darn it. Don't tell anyone else. :-)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
Piacere - Thank you for a very complete and detailed review. We know it is the little things that count and are very happy that you notice. We look forward to you return.

Carlos Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Stayed for 3 days. Breakfast is nice if included. If not, it is $10.00. Rooms were somewhat small but everything worked great. Very nice workout room but rather small pool. The staff we so great. Made sure we had the room we wanted. Also, the servers at breakfast were terrific. Ordering was easy and they really were great!

Room Tip: Great business hotel just off freeway
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelerfromSandy
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
TravelerfromSandy – Thank you for the positive response. We are always striving to exceed the expectations of our guests. I will pass along your thoughts to my staff. We look forward to your return!

Carlos Smith - GM
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Great staff...friendly, helpful. The room air conditioning is so loud it's difficult to sleep. The rooms are long, long over due for refurbishing. The elevators rank as the slowest on the planet. In fact, one of the two elevators was not operating during our four-day stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank DaveR56
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
DaveR56 – Thank you for the review. We did have a problem with one of our elevators. It has now been resolved. We are always updating out hotel, recently we reduced our smoking rooms and added more none smoking rooms. We look forward to your return.

Carlos Smith GM
WA
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed a night at this hotel and ended up staying here for our anniversary and mini weekend trip to Portland with our family and friends. So easy and off the freeway and the rooms are a little on the small side but very nice and clean. It's always a necessity to have a microwave and mini fridge with our group. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My daughter was having difficulty connecting to the free internet and the young man was so helpful to make sure she could get connected. They also have a wine and beer hour in the evening for the adults. My favorite part has to be the bed and the nice tv. The bed was similar to a sleep number type of bed....I slept so well and it has been a very long time that I had a good restful slumber. The other thing I also liked was how fast the AC cooled down the room on a toasty day. The adults and kids also enjoyed the pool! A little on the small side but it was just our group so it was perfect.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank butterflymom22
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
butterflymom22 - Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts. Often our guests tell us how much they like the location and our service. Safe travels, we look forward to your return.

Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Located in an upscale neighborhood. Restaurants around. Not more than 15 minutes to downtown. Very close to a major mall (Washington Square). Numerous urgent care medical facilties around. Full breakfast for $9.99. Nice, clean rooms, with refrigerator and microwave oven. Great staff. Lots of parking space. I stay here every month.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank dfjets
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
dfjets - Thank you for the response. We pride our self with having a clean hotel, great service, and good value for the dollar. I will pass along your thoughts to our staff.

Oregon
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My daughter, granddaughter, and I booked a room at the Hilton Garden, Lake Oswego to be close to family for the weekend. I live in Eugene, so not that far away, but wanted to be close to Portland for the weekend. I was delighted to find a deal on Groupon for a hotel in the area we needed to stay so bought it. I’m writing this review as I sit in my room at the hotel the second night of our stay.

When we arrived, I was asked if a King room was okay and I said that it wasn't. I had booked a double as I'm traveling with daughter and granddaughter. I was told there was a double available but it was a smoking room. I said I’d specifically booked a double non-smoking quite awhile ago and that’s the type of room we needed. The desk clerk said he’d see what he could do and he finally “found” me a double, non-smoking. Because I had booked the room using a coupon, one night was paid for and one wasn’t. When I made the reservation, I needed two separate reservation numbers to accommodate the coupon and I gave them my credit card for the second night.

The room is a typical hotel room, clean enough (I am picky about these things but hotels are, after all, hotels). Our 6th floor neighbors were noisy into late evening and I could hear someone’s TV coming from somewhere. At night you can hear other room’s toilets flush. The toilet is a super-suction fast flash, and noisy – sounds like flash thunder or a noisy airplane toilet. No quiet nighttime flushing is possible.

We went out to be with family after our first night there and came back early evening. We took the elevator to our rooms on the 6th floor (it’s a slow elevator) and our keys wouldn’t open the door. Finally we realized we had to go back down (hauling baby, diaper bag, shopping bags, purses, etc) to the front desk. The guy who checked us in went, oh, you need your keys reactivated. I asked him why they needed to be reactivated and he said they had to be manually reactivated because we had two confirmation numbers and (oh, his bad) he’d forgotten to say anything to us about it when we checked in.

Housekeeping had been in our room but had only left 3 clean towels and no bath mat. My daughter went down to the lobby to purchase two glasses of wine around 9:30 p.m. and was told they don’t sell glasses of wine after 9, only bottles. (???) Room service Saturday, Sunday and holidays is not available after 9 p.m. (10 on weekdays.) There was no offer for an alternative e.g. wine is available in the “restaurant” which really is just some tables in the lobby. He wasn’t rude, just not in the least helpful.

So overall we had a feeling of poor service. I would never stay here again or tell anyone else to stay here. The reviewer before me left Hilton Garden and finished their stay at the Fairfield Inn. If I have to stay in this area again, that’s where I’ll be going.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LadyLo
LadyLo - I am sorry to hear that your stay was not what you had expected. We have improved our hotel in the past few weeks. Our rooms are now 99% non-smoking at our hotel. I am sorry to hear that key did not work and the elevator was slow. I will pass along your thoughts and feelings to my staff.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We had booked to stay for a week or more as we were relocating to Portland for work. Although the greeting at reception was friendly, there wasn't a great deal of effort to accommodate our request (lodged with the booking some weeks prior) for a quiet room and early check in (just an hour or two before the official 3pm slot). Also, when we called for advice on finding a dry-cleaner, we were directed to use the free internet! We'd already tried this but very few cleaners came up on the search so we hoped for some local input. Finally the customer service representative agreed to call us back with suggestions - but never did!

There was a soccer tournament in town so the hotel was full. Not only was there alot of noise from kids running up and down the hall into the night, but several people were noisy in the room next door and eventually, at around 11pm, we had to ask reception to see if they could do anything (which they did, and the group dispersed).

Unfortunately the noise from rooms next door, and above, continued throughout the night - most disturbingly from their bathrooms!!

We checked out the next day (reception staff showed no real concern) and moved to the Fairfield Inn and Suites, just round the corner. We've been there now for two weeks and can't say enough good things about the staff. Ultra-accommodating and go the extra mile. And the walls aren't quite so thin!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank candsnz
CsmithGM, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego, responded to this review, June 17, 2011
candsnz_11 – Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry to hear that our service was not what you had expected. I take your insight very seriously and I will use your feedback as a training tool for my staff. Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Oswego
Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Washington Square
Phoenix Inn Suites
Phoenix Inn Suites
#5 of 7 in Lake Oswego

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Portland/Lake Oswego? Share your experiences!