“Very disappointing”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lake Oswego
Southern Oregon
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Having previously stayed at this property I felt confident that my stay, celebrating my mother's birthday, would be clean and comfortable at the Lake Oswego Phoenix Inn. I was very disappointed.

I was very surprised when we entered our room: #319, to immediately smell a musty, mildew scent and see extremely dirty carpet. (Also later found in the stairwell.) Mildew in the shower and on the shower curtain, dirty glasses, intermittent sound cut outs on our older model TV, a fridge that had no adjustments and got cool, but not cold, were just a few of the disappointments to follow.

The usual 'fresh baked cookies' were non-existent. One old cookie seemed to be on the front desk plate for the two days we were there. We always seemed to miss fresh coffee too, and always had 'decaf' in our room instead of regular - which I thought odd.

What was good? The WiFi was excellent, the microwave worked for both reheating dinners and making popcorn. We used the pool and Jacuzzi, both of which were clean and in working order.

What was bad? The room we received was simply 'unclean', and even on the second day when the room had been attended by housekeeping, it was still unclean. Leaving bits of paper around the room in major traffic areas to see if vacuuming occurred yielded evidence that it had not. Items left on the countertop near the sinks were not moved - indicating to me that they'd not wiped down the area. Beds were not terrible, but slightly lumpy with a few rock-hard pillows.

Bedding and fixtures were dated in this room, but we'd previously stayed at this property and received an updated, 1st floor room that was very nice. Clean and comfortable, not at all like what we received this time.

The road noise from I-5 was extremely bad in this room! At 4:30am or so the sound of traffic was so loud, none of us could sleep. We had not experienced that the last time in a first floor room on the Bangy road side.

I booked this stay through Hotwire and wondered if perhaps that's why we received such a sub-par room. No matter what the reason, it was bad enough that I complained to the front desk upon check-out. The resident manager was apparently in the building, but had her front desk clerk talk with us - she never came out to discuss our concerns with the room.

I laughed to myself as I read the sign at the front desk proudly announcing their 'Diamond' status with AAA for 2012. Apparently whoever checked out the property to give out that rating didn't see room #319!

While disappointed in the lack of cleanliness and overall comfort of our room, I was most disappointed in the lack of customer service provided when those concerns were brought to the front desk. The desk clerk was pleasant, but powerless and the manager never came out to take the heat.

Upon returning home I wrote to the corporate office and the general manager of the property, sharing photos of the conditions of the room. I don't know if that will get a response, but I certainly hope they will look into it for the future guests of the property.

I will not be returning to this property, and would recommend you avoid it too, unless these issues are addressed.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room to the Bangy Road side of the building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tartallini
MLechner, General Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for bringing to our attention the issues you had in your room. I again apologize to you if we seemed to not care about your concerns, as I did not know you were still here in the hotel. No one is more disappointed than I, when we do not meet guests expectations. I do not want to make excuses, but some of the double rooms have seen more wear and tear, in the almost 20 years we've been open. I do appreciate any and all feedback, so that we may learn to serve our guests better. I do hope that you will take us up on the offer of trying us again, even if is it at the Tigard location...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Wisconsin
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband I & have stayed here on several occasions and can count on that we will have good service. The hotel is nothing fancy, with it only views of I-5, a service station & restaurant. Despite the view, you can count on a large suite that is quiet and clean. The beds are comfortable with a light weight down quilt. The Inn provides a hot & cold items such as make you own waffles, scrambled eggs, tortillas, toast, cinnamon rolls, etc. A nice touch: fresh cookies at the desk in the evening!

It is a solid room for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
MLechner, General Manager at Phoenix Inn Suites, responded to this review, August 9, 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to leave such a great review! We appreciate any and all feedback, so we can know what we are doing right and/or wrong. We look forward to our future updates, and seeing you again at the Phoenix Inn Lake Oswego.
Vancouver
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed here for one night on our road trip down to LA. Booked through Hotwire as a 3 star for 82/night.

My biggest issue was that my expectations going in was that of a 3-star. Had I booked it as a 2-star, my review would have been better.

It is a dated hotel, very 70s/80s. Clean, but in need of a renovation. Some of the bathroom fixtures were loose, including a shower curtain rod that must have been screwed in at least 4 different times without success hitting a stud or using a wall anchor.

While it did have a pool, the pool room was not properly vented or sealed from the rest of the hotel. That made the hallways smell like chlorine.

Breakfast was ok for someone in a rush. WiFi, while free, was very inconsistent and slow

At this price point, I might stay again for 1 night on a road trip. Any longer I would look somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelFoodGuy
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to additions to our 2006 partial renovation, and we hope that you do to. Thank you for letting us know about the inconsistent wifi...so that we will have our vendor take a look at that. Hope to see you on your next trip to Lake Oswego!
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is one of those hotels that you can't say a whole lot really good or really bad about. It's simply average - a decent place to stay for one night, two at the most. I'll simple summerize the pros and cons:

The Pros:
-Decent price. We paid $99 with free parking and free breakfast for two, which for a AAA 3-Diamond hotel in Portland in mid-summer is pretty good.
-Nice size room. Two queen beds, pretty comfortable.
-Large vanity area, outside of the shower/toilet area, with two sinks. Very helpful for getting ready in the morning.
-Free WIFI, good speed for a hotel.
-Free breakfast. Pretty typcial stuff but tasty, with scrambled eggs, waffles, pastries, juice, good coffee.
-Nice, helpful front desk staff.
-Nice area, lots of restaurants nearby (Chevy's is excellent - see separate review), convenient to the freeway for getting to Portland.

The Cons:
-The room is outdated. The furniture is a little dark and scuffed. Old TV and entertainment center. Old vanity. The only thing in the room that seemed pretty new was a nice cream-colored leather love seat.
-The bathroom is dark and kinda dingy. The exhaust fan is loud. Lots of caulk in the shower (I always use caulking as the gauge for when a hotel is ready for updating). The toilet bowl had a crack in it. The shower curtain was dirty in spots.
-Very few toilettries (just a soap and shampoo dispenser in the bathroom, and a bar of soap in the vanity area. No creme rinse.). Older towels.
-LOTS of freeway noise if you open the windows, so you need to keep them closed and rely on the the thru-wall AC unit for cooling. The windows are double-pane but still have a weird magnetic storm window over them to further help with the noise. We even asked for a different room, but were told they were pretty much all the same.

Once again, okay for a night or two, especially if you want to save some money, but for a few bucks more I believe there are better places in the same area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bendwriter
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your stay in July. I hate to keep repeating myself, but we really do look forward to more updates to the hotel, and appreciate all the feedback. We hope that you will stay again, and check back for future updates!
West New York, New Jersey
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Unless the absolute lowest price is your priority, I do not recommend the Phoenix Inn. The hotel is right off I-5 which is convenient for going to downtown Portland (15-20 min drive). The front desk is friendly and helpful. The room and everything about the hotel are a bit dated. The TV is the old tube style. The bed is comfortable enough. The towels are way overdue for replacement. Dual sinks outside bathroom can be annoying for some or efficient for others like family trying to get ready in the morning in a reasonable amount of time. The included breakfast is such poor quality that we decided to stick only with coffee (weak) and bagels. The pool and the gym are small. I didn't use them. Free WiFi was slow and unreliable. Although Phoenix Inn had the best price in Lake Oswego area when I checked, I would pay a little more for a much better experience (see my review of the nearby Hilton Garden).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank CliveNYC
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We appreciate all feedback, and we know what we can fix to make your stay more enjoyable. We hope that you will check back to future updates...and consider staying again at the Phoenix Inn Suites Lake Oswego!
Napa, California
Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is my second time staying at a Phoenix Inn (first one was in Vancouver WA) and it did not disappoint. The location was convenient and right off the highway. If you are visiting Portland, it is just another 15 minutes north. There is a gas station next door and a Chevy's and Olive Garden within walking distance. The lobby was welcoming and parking easy. The hotel also had a indoor pool a small exercise room.

Check in and out - I had no problems with long lines and was able to check in a few hours early. Service was professional and friendly.

Breakfast - The breakfast room was a bit small. For my two night stay the food included tortillas, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, bread, bagels, waffle maker, apples, coffee, tea, and juice. I was very impressed that when an item got low, it was quickly replenished. I can't say it was a fine dining experience but it was one of the better breakfasts' for a chain hotel. The guy running it did a great job ensuring that dirty dishes did not pile up and everything remained clean.

Rooms - My room was large, spacious and well laid out. Everything appeared clean. It had a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and wet bar. The "sitting area" had a small love seat and coffee table. There was also a separate desk and chair. The television, surprisingly was not a flat screen but it worked fine and had about 50 or so channels. The bed was very comfortable and I slept great. The hotel rooms do have wi-fi at no extra cost. The bath had a soap and shampoo dispenser. Water pressure was fine. Overall I did not hear much noise except for some guests that slammed their doors.

Other Info: The hotel does provide shuttle service if you need it. Coffee and tea is available in the lobby 24 hours. Baked cookies are put out later in the afternoon. The hotel does accept pets but I did not have any negative experiences with smells or anything else in my room or on the property. There is a computer in the lobby for guest use. This was a life saver for me since my laptop computer screen had died on me. However, the internet connection was awful! It was very, very slow. My primary purpose for using the computer was to transfer photos from compact flash discs to my personal external hard drive. For this it worked fine and I'm thankful that there was a computer available. There is only one elevator that can get slow during busy times. Staircases are located on either side of the halls. Ice makers are on every floor and the lobby even had a hot and cold water dispenser.

As stated above, this is my second time staying at a Phoenix Inn and once again, I have not been disappointed. The price was right, location perfect, and rooms comfortable, clean, and met all of my needs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank WorldWanderer99
Thank you so much for your very thorough review of our hotel! I am very excited to share this one with my staff, as it always nice to hear when we've done it right. We look forward to having you with us again on your next trip to the Portland area!
Reviewed July 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed five days great location near restaurants decent breakfast clean rooms would stay again

• Stayed July 2012
Thanks for your quick note to say we met your expectations! We look forward to having you on your next trip to Lake Oswego.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lake Oswego
Comfort Suites Southwest
Comfort Suites Southwest
#58 of 142 in Portland
Grand Hotel At Bridgeport

Been to Phoenix Inn Suites? Share your experiences!