“Excellent business option”

Holiday Inn Express Portland South - Lake Oswego
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Lake Oswego
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Excellent no frills choice. Very convenient to I5, two minutes from the exit. About two miles from a large mid to upper range shopping center with a wide selection of restaurants and cafes. It feels as if it is fairly new so everything looks good and works.

The front desk service at check-in and departure was efficient and pleasant. The room overlooked a part of the parking lot so no interesting views. There is an exercise room which I didn't use but I did look in and while it wasn't large it did appear to have a reasonable range and quantity of equipment. Their is a small breakfast room but I didn't try the breakfast.

The room was a better than average size with a sink in the bedroom area and a bathroom with a toilet and a (small) tub incorporating a shower. The water pressure was strong and the water was hot. Besides two queen beds there was a work desk and chair, more than adequate for working. The desk light incorporated two power outlets so there was no need to scramble under the desk for an outlet. The in-room WiFi worked, minimal log-in hassle and performance was adequate. The bed wasn't my favorite, I thought the mattress was a bit thin and soft for my liking.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank TiburonTony

Reviewed April 10, 2011

Very comfortable room. Friendly staff. Always a good deal to get complimentary breakfast. Very handy access off the freeway. Would stay here again in an instant.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank saint974
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I am usually a huge fan of Holiday Inn Express hotels, but this room smelled like a stale stinky basement ( I guess that's what I get for requesting a room closed to the pool) and ever 20 seconds through the night the fire alarm flashed a green light (red too but it didn't bother me as bad), lighting up the whole room! So crazy annoying. When we checked out the next morning my husband made sure that the lady understood that we were not in any means satisfied with our night stay. She apoligized and promised to send a maintenance guy to check it out, but like that helped make my stay any better. So much for trying to make your customers happy, I'm still pissed at Holiday Inn express. And because my horrible night's sleep left me so cranky, I'd also like to complain about the breakfast. The food itself really was good but the guy that was supposed to be taking care of the area took forever to bring out fresh food! There were no forks out for almost 20 minutes...kinda hard to eat without any. I hope that someone with Holiday Inn Express takes the time to make this right with me.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Happynhappier
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel in previous years with delightful stays.
However, my stay at this hotel this week was one that will surely cause them to lose my business. I am not sure what the process of hiring new management is, but their new manager needs to be much more professional. As I was being checked in by the front desk agent, here comes the manager, looking over the agents shoulder and had the nerve to ask the agent in front of my presence why I was being charged "such a low rate?" followed by an annoying laugh. The agent explained I stayed at the hotel frequently and the rate I was being charged was the rate I paid in past stays. Without hesitation the manager raised the rate by $50 per night and informed me the hotel is under new management and all previous agreements are voided. I did not make a scene and just left the hotel without issue and went across the way to the Courtyard Hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank b_more60848
jatpat, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland South - Lake Oswego, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2011

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to stay at our hotel. I am not sure what special rate you were getting in the past however if you shop around you will find that we are the best lodging value in the area. We just opened a few years ago and are brand new, offer a complimentry breakfast buffet as well as a business center, indoor pool and free high speed internet access.

Reviewed October 13, 2010

Stayed here one night for business while in the area. Got the hotel off Hotwire and was very impressed. It's located right off I-5 south of Portland, tucked in behind some large trees so it's quiet location. The hotel was completely remodeled about a year ago and its looks it. I thought it was a brand new hotel, but the front desk staff informed me it was about 30 years old and then had the remodel. Typically HIE, with free hot breakfast. Some of the breakfast machines (pancake maker) were not working, but still better continental then you get at many hotels. Has a nice salt water pool in the basement although did not use it. One exit down the highway is a hugh shopping plaza with all kinds of stores, a movie theather and many restaurants. One tip: if your early and want a bite to eat, stop in at McCormick and Schmidt's. It a very nice restaurant, usually a bit pricy but they offer an excellent happy hour menu at amazing prices. Large portion meals and apps. for $2-5. Check it out, well worth it from 3-6pm Mon-Fri.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 25, 2010

This hotel is great and I would recommend it to anyone in the area or close by. You wont regret the short drive out of your way to stay here. The staff is top notch and the rooms are very nice. The hotel does boast a salt water pool. You will just melt into the amazing bed. I must say this was one of my favorite hotels in the 7 months I was on the road this year. Enjoy your stay!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 19, 2010

If you're looking for a reasonably priced, clean hotel on the I-5 corridor that's close to Bridgeport Village and the Woodburn Outlet stores, this is a good choice.

We obtained our reservation through Travelocity's 'mystery' hotel deal. After looking at the offerings and comparing them to reviews, it was likely that this hotel would be the one we received, so we gambled and came up with two nights lodging for $70 a night - $140 was the rate listed on Travelocity that same day. Very happy with that deal for a 2 queen bed room for three people!

We arrived around 7pm and were warmly greeted by the front desk staff. A person in the line ahead of me did not have a reservation and paid $149 per night for 1 person. Again, I was thrilled with the deal we'd gotten! A quick check-in included cold bottles of Dasani water for each of us - available at any time throughout your stay at the front desk. Carts for luggage were available next to the front entrance and the business center with two desktop computers and a printer was next to the front door. We later used the Business Center to locate nearby eateries and menus. All worked flawlessly and we never had a problem getting in to use it.

Our room was located on the 3rd floor - there are 4 floors at this property. Finding the room was fairly easy (good signs), but the layout of the hotel is a bit 'maze-like'. You can get lost if you're not paying attention. There is one small elevator for the property, so check-out time (noon) and an hour or so prior, can be a tough time to get the elevator - take the stairs, it's much faster.

The room itself was clean and pleasant. It's got a contemporary look to it with a 32" flat screen, cordless phone, microwave, small fridge and loveseat, along with the 2 queen beds, but upon closer inspection the sheets had holes and/or tears in them. Time to get some new linens for this place!

Besides the linens, there were a few other 'not perfect' things we noted. The whole property could stand a bit better ventilation. It's VERY humid, despite outside the hotel not being so. I found this odd. Our room, the fitness center, the hallway, the dining room... all 'damp' feeling. Other things like attempting to find an outlet for a laptop... were kind of funny. We finally discovered a few ON the base of the lamps. Not on the walls as expected. I guess that's just a matter of looking, as was the hunt for trash cans in the room. Just odd placement for these things, but they were there.

One problem we had was a broken coffee pot, discovered on the first morning of our stay. We called the front desk and they went to work on it. Later in the day when we returned from shopping, the coffee pot was still full of coffee/water and still broken. We took it down to the front desk on our way to dinner and asked for a replacement.. When we returned two hours later we did have a working replacement for the coffee pot and could enjoy coffee in our room the next morning.

I worked out one morning in the Fitness Center. It has two treadmills, one elliptical, and one recumbent bike, and a weight machine. A scale (like you find at your doctor's office) and towels were available too. Two 32" TV's were facing the treadmills, with a wall of mirrors behind them. The room was small, with a window for ventilation. Open 5am to 10pm, it was better than average for most of the hotel-fitness rooms I've used in the past, but again, humid. Add a few sweaty folks and it was almost stifling!

Parking for this property is ample, but tight. I wouldn't want to try and shoehorn an RV or large truck here. Two of the spots are so tight that if you had a car in both, neither could leave once they pulled in. I was SO glad I'd avoided that problem. Note: the far corner of the building is where these are located.

The best parts about staying here were the pool (located in the lowest level), the comfortable beds and quiet room (despite being 'full' we heard nothing at night), and the wonderfully complete and tasty breakfast buffet.

The breakfast offerings changed a bit each day (hot items), but these are the basics we had access to while we were there for your 2 day stay. Juice, coffee, tea, milk, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, muffins, rolls, toast and pancakes - made two at a time by a machine that spits them out fresh in 45 seconds! All was fresh and tasty, and the entire dining room was kept clean by a fast moving guy who kept re-stocking the buffet. BEST free breakfast at a motel I've ever tasted!

The great price through Travelocity, free wireless internet was fast, the breakfast outstanding, the room quiet, the beds comfortable, location perfect for all our shopping plans at Bridgeport Village and Woodburn. Overall, a very good choice for anyone traveling to the Portland area.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix Inn Suites
Phoenix Inn Suites
#5 of 7 in Lake Oswego
Residence Inn Portland South/Lake Oswego

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portland South - Lake Oswego? Share your experiences!