“A Cinderalla story”

Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Lafayette B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The heritage house has great bones. It is set back from the road offering guests privacy and quiet from the street noise. Our room on the second floor was comfortable, the breakfast was hearty and the host amiable. The concern I have is with the overall condition of the home which is tired and in desperate need of some TLC. In our bathroom the fan cover was missing and you looked up into a fan blade caked with gunk and debris. The grout in the tub is blackened and the window sills are all cracked and peeling. The pillows were not feather but a stiff foam variety. The carpet in our bedroom, the Strawberry Suite, was so dirty and stained I didn't take my shoes off. When we arrived the house was open but no one there. We were alone in the house wandering around until someone finally showed up. It was most unusual. Only later did we see a sign taped to the side door providing a number to call for check in. It is not a luxury B&B, but it could be with a fairy godmother overseeing the repairs and maintenance.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank A_Canadian_Nomad
There are newer reviews for Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We used a Groupon for our 2 night stay, including limo wine tasting, which was good value for the money we paid but would not have been if we had paid the full price of this B&B. We stayed in the Klammath Suite, which has a private entrance & a large, double sinked bathroom & a separate seating area. The room was well worn & could use a refresh. The small couch had no padding left in the seat. When Mike checked us in, he told us the TV was not working as he had not had time to call Dish TV - not good when you are in a small town in October with nothing to do in the evenings. There is no one actually living in the house so you are pretty much on your own. Someone comes in the morning to cook breakfast. She didn't arrive until about 8:30 both mornings & breakfast is at 9 so there was no coffee available earlier on no facilities in the room. However the food was good on both mornings except the pastries which I don't think we home made. Mike was not around in the morning (sick?) so we put the key on the table & left.

Room Tip: The Klammath Suite is the largest & most private. Also has the best bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank c00ke_11
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I purchased a Groupon for a two night stay and three hour limo tour at Kelty Estate in Lafayette, OR on 8/17/12. I made a reservation on their website on 8/17/12 to stay in the Strawberry Suite 1/25/13-1/27/13 for my husband's birthday. I received a phone call from Kelty Estates the week before Christmas (approx 12/20/13) advising me they sold my room to somebody else and I had two options: 1- Keep my dates of 1/25/13-1/27/13 but be put up at a different B&B (they could not give me the name of the "other B&B" nor information regarding what room I would be staying in); 2- Switch the dates of my reservation to any available date of my choice even beyond the expiration of the Groupon. From 12/24/12 through 1/4/13 we emailed back and forth several times finally deciding we would change our reservation to 7/12/13-7/14/13. I emailed them on 6/3/13 to confirm everything with our new reservation was still ok and and they emailed me back and advised they did not have my reservation. [If anyone is interested I would be happy to send you a copy of my email correspondence with Kelty so you can see for yourself exactly what transpired.] Since this was a Groupon I contacted Groupon directly and ended up receiving a full refund after they attempted to contact Kelty Estate to remedy the situation and Kelty did not respond. Thank you Groupon! Thank goodness we live locally in Portland and hadn't booked plane tickets, rental cars, time off work, etc to use this Groupon because Kelty Estate really dropped the ball. I currently have a pending Better Business Bureau complaint against Kelty Estate to which they have made no response as of 6/9/13.....

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Kelty is a beautiful historic house,and is very comfortable. We stayed in the Trillium Room at the front of the house. It was quiet and roomy, though the bathroom is small. We enjoyed 2 very good breakfasts and getting to know the other guests. Mike, the caretaker, was very helpful and friendly. We also went on the wine tour in the stretch limo and that was very fun!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in the klamath suite for 2 nights (think pleasant attic room) and while we only had intermittent wifi and fuzzy tv reception, the bedding was comfy and we slept like rocks in this quiet location. The breakfasts were a bit of a hit/miss (the negative was the sweet pastries and use of frozen bacon/sausage patties in our egg scramble while the positive was the amazing raspberry bliss bar made specially for our second day). Best of all was the friendliness of everyone (staff and other guests) that really made this an enjoyable place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ggadventure
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We always use Bed and Breakfast accommodations when traveling, not only in the US, but also when traveling in Europe, New Zealand and Australia, The homey atmosphere, information and recommendations for dining, etc. provided by the host/hostess is always welcome and interesting. Such was not the case at Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast. The ammenities are misleading and inaccurate.

The only rewarding and positive aspect of the stay was the wine tour our daughter arranged for my birthday gift thru their website with Linda from Wine and Vine Tours. She was a superb guide, intuitive, knowledgeable and we highly recommend her to anyone. Now, back to the Kelty: the limo was in the shop and she took us in her car.

My husband had arranged a nice birthday get-a-way for me online at The Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast. Check-in was after 3pm and we arrived at 4pm. We parked our car in the drive and went to the front door. It was unlocked so we entered. No one there, we walked thru the lower area, called up the stairs, checked the kitchen, checked outside. We had our registration copy, so called on our tracphone and a woman answered. I told her we were at the B & B to check in but no one was there. She simply said "I'll call Jim, he's outback." and hung up the phone! We waited, looking around some for information. there was a sofa table in the hall with business cards, flyers for things to do, a few restaurant menus but not much.

Finally we saw a man coming from the driveway area. "Are you with Groupon"? We didn't know what he was talking about. I informed him we were checking in, but he was on the "Groupon" tangent. My husband tried to explain we had reservations and I went to the living room area where I had my phone and the confirmation and took it to them. He looked at it and questioned if we had paid and my husband explained we had done it online with the credit card. Then he asked my husband, "Are you on the wine tour tomorrow." My husband replied that our daughter had set us up for that as a surprise for my birthday, and yes, we were! Jim then left and said he had to call the boss because he didn't know anything about this. My husband was upset as well, not only by the man's attitude, but because my birthday surprise was no longer the surprise he and my daughter had planned.

Jim returned sometime later and said everything was taken care of, At than point my husband got our luggage and took it to our room. I tried to engage Jim in conversation, did he work here? If so, did he get our dietary allergies list we had sent? Oh, he worked here but he no longer cleaned the bathrooms- he was thru cleaning toilets and showers. He asked for my food concerns and I told him the four: walnuts, shellfish, pork and lactose intolerance. No problem, he said, but could I have half and half--the cook put that in the eggs. I must have given him the strangest look. He left and brought our key to the door and the skeleton key for the room. He prepared to leave again and then turned--"do you want your glass of wine?" Well, at that point I was ready for one. He went in the kitchen and came out with two glasses of wine, handed me one, and put the one for my husband on the table. I looked at it, a red wine and asked "what is this wine?" He had turned to leave, and said "I don't know, don't drink the stuff" then must have realized what he had said and went to the kitchen to check. it was a 2011 Yamhill Pinot Noir, I believe. Didn't see the bottle myself. Then, he said " lock up when you leave and when you return. See you in the morning". and he was gone. that was our initial encounter of the utterly bizarre--- but there was much more to come!!.

Our room, the Trillium looked nice on the website picture. The bed was not a queen, however, but a double. and our mini bar consisted of two wine glasses, a corkscrew and two bottles of bottled water. A separate sitting area?? There was a chair by the minibar! It had two drawers which contained a phone book and a pen. We wanted to watch a dvd and the remote had dvd features on it. We looked everywhere for a booklet on the TV, a TV listing, anything. Looked downstairs for a newspaper (there were absolutely no magazines or newspapers of any kind). Finally gave up and just watched TV until dinner time. Thank heaven we had stopped by a Winery on our way into town that gave us some recommendations for a place to eat. When we returned it was still as uninviting. We wondered if there would be other guests.

We went upstairs and noticed how hot it was. Our room was even hotter!! I tried to open the window but it didn't open. We turned on the bathroom fan to draw out some heat as well. That night was horrid. It was impossible to sleep in that heat. I have a water-proof thermometer on my keychain I use when outdoors. I got it out and it registered 92 degrees F in our room!! Yes, it is an accurate thermometer. That is unbearable. Even turning on the air conditioner didn't help enough. We tried to sleep but finally gave up and took turns taking a shower to cool down. (The bathroom is literally six feet long and two one-half maybe three feed wide for a shower, sink and toilet). My husband went down to see if there were any ammenities such as more water, juice and came up with two cups of coffee. We had drained the two bottles of water from our so-called 'mini bar'.

After we dressed, we went downstairs and another couple came down. They had the room next to ours and had the same problem with the heat. We agreed to ask about the heat after breakfast. A three course breakfast --Well, the setting was so sad. A nice table covering, some flowers, maybe a candelabra would have been such an improvement. It had bottles of hot sauces, salt and pepper, four placemats with table service. We all sat down and then came the food: The Orange juice was good, that was considered the first course? The Costco heated muffin, the second course? I asked if the one put in front of me had walnuts in it, he didn't know, but would ask the cook. She didn't think so, it was apple. My husband switched with me just to be safe. After that the third course: eggs topped with spinach, diced bacon and pine nuts with diced herbed potatoes. So much for my breakfast. I picked out all the bacon I could and my husband and I just looked at each other. I went into the kitchen and asked the cook if she got my dietary restrictions. No she had not. I informed her of the four items:walnuts, shellfish, pork and lactose intolerance. She said she would have some vegetarian sausage for the next morning.

We all then asked about the heat problem and Jim said "well, heat goes up", but the guys weren't taking any more of it so Jim took us to the thermostat and told them how to turn the heat down. We also asked about the DVD Player and about an alarm clock. He said there was a DVD Player and went to our room and showed us where it was--in the side of the TV. One problem solved, but oh to have had a manual in the first place would have been wondrous! Never got an alarm clock,

The wine tour that late morning was really fantastic and our guide's recommendations for dinner were also well received. We returned to the Kelty, stored our wine purchases in the closet downstairs at her suggestion. it would be too cold in our car and way too hot for it in our room.

I enjoy reading, but there needs to be reading material and the Encyclopedia Brittanica isn't my choice. the books in the bookcase very limited selection as well, and no magazines or newspapers. Books on wines or local area history usually are standard fare in the B & B's we have been in. Tried to figure out how to turn on the fireplace, gave up. So much for ambience, No nice fire, no bouquets, greenery, candles, nice music, reading material, absolutely nothing. On a cold night in a vintage Bed & Breakfast is that unrealistic? I don't think so!

We turned the heat down that night. At least we were able to sleep, and yes, we were exhausted from no sleep the night before. So much for the romantic get away.

the next morning I decided to get us coffee or some juice. Outside our room is a little alcove--could this be our separate seating area? there was a chair there, but a sign on it said don't sit here. there was a tray for ammenities. It had a basket with some sugar packets, and a rack for holding cups. I thought maybe it would be good to use for carrying the coffee or juice. It was filthy. Bad idea. I went to the kitchen, no one there, but coffee brewing so I took two cups upstairs.

Our breakfast was a repeat of the prior morning with tomato and kalamata olives on the eggs instead of spinach and pine nuts. Same spuds. I did get veggie sausage, however. Two other couples joined us four. We had good conversation and we gave them names of some B & B's we've used.

We checked out at 11 and no one there to check us out!! Big surprise.

Also beware of the entry deck and walkway. The deck is rotten in area around the drainpipe which is dislodged.

Room Tip: Check your room and be sure it actually has all the amenities listed (wi fi, minibar, full bath, qu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
16  Thank lois p
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Be enjoyed our stay. We stayed 2 nights with a Groupon, that included a wine tour. We stayed in the Klamath Room, which is over the garage. Very private and cozy. Small room, but we did not mind. I liked the comfy robes. As another reviewer mentioned, the deadbolt lock was broken. So don't leave anything too valuable in your room. :-) This really should be fixed. The staff we met were all nice. Breakfast was good and very BIG, which was great before wine tasting. The limo wine tour was enjoyable. The driver was very knowledgeable about wine and took us to 4 small family-owned wineries.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EugeneChristina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lafayette
McMinnville Inn
#2 of 6 in McMinnville
3rd Street Flats
3rd Street Flats
#1 of 2 in McMinnville

Been to Kelty Estate Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!