“Not so sweet suites”

Best Western Plus Rama Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
Reviewed July 29, 2010

Got a suite so our son could have his own room. However, the furniture in the "sitting room" portion was badly suited for its job and the fire marshal had made them disable the hide-a-bed. The whole point of getting the suite was to use the hide-a-bed. When I complained the front desk staff was very rude.

Also, half the tv channels were fuzzy, one light had no bulb and breakfast ends at 9am, even on the weekend.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Rama Inn & Suites

Reviewed May 15, 2009

I stayed in the jacuzzi suite, planning on a two week stay. I lasted two nights and had to leave. The reason was such an overpowering chemical smell that was in the room. It was some type of sanitizing agent, but I could not place it. And it was so overpowering as soon as the door was opened that I took a step backward. The rooms are well worn, The carpet in front of the door had a permanent wear spot, where everybody places their left foot when exiting the room. The carpet was almost worn through. Frankly, I will vote with my dollars at another property in town where I can see that the owners care about their guests.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 14, 2008

Someone cares about this hotel, because they have little touches like make up remover cloths and a nice welcome notice out front. But the person who cares does not work evenings. The front desk clerk we met (who, at around 7:00 p.m., we cold not find for a good ten minutes, even after repeatedly ringing the buzzer they provide), put us in a handicapped room without telling us. Then, when I returned to ask about alternatives, said indignantly, "Well, you had to take that room, Otherwise, you'd have to have a suite."

1. Good customer service is telling me during the check-in process we will be in a handicapped room with only a shower. If she'd told me then, and said a suite was an option, I might have paid to upgrade, since my ten-year-old son will likely flood the bathroom during his shower in the handicapped access room.
2. Great customer service is upgrading the customer who, through no fault of theirs, checks in when you have only handicapped rooms or suites. I am a Best Western club member, so that is the kind of thing I'd remember - and have experienced elsewhere. Instead, I'm going to avoid this hotel next time.

In the room itself, there were burnt out light bulbs and a general run-down air.

Someone on this board said this was the best of a mediocre lot. If so, stop sooner or drive further if you, like us, are on a long trip.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 7, 2008

We stay here frequently when we have business in this area. The rooms are large, clean this time and other times have stayed here. The pool and hot tub are indoors and average quality. The hotel is well worn but no bad smells and the beds are comfortable. What more could you want for a couple day stay. The breakfasts is very basic, nothing to write home about. Best bet is coffeee and juice. Staff has never been overly enthusiastic, but not rude. Hotel seems to be a favorite of business and government types. Question for me is it the best in the area for the price.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Our room was ample size, clean and quiet. The bed was quite comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was adequate, it was well stocked and the coffee was hot.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mdtravelling
Reviewed June 3, 2008

I went to get some ice for a cold drink. When I looked in the ice bucket there was about 3/4 of an inch of mold with liquid in the bottom. We took this to the front desk and asked for a new room. If the ice bucket looked like this what did the rest of the room look like. We were given another room. At about 11:45 someone was trying to get into our room. Thank God my husband locked the dead bolt. He called the front desk, and reported this to the person on duty. She asked us to send the people back down stairs. The person on duty that gave us a new room did not change it in the computer. This is the worst experience we have ever had at a Best Wester.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2007

Room was adequate - nothing special.

But the expanded continental breakfast was a farce. When we arrived to eat they had almost nothing left, although breakfast was supposed to go for another hour. They had two waffle makers and a toaster. A couple of stale doughnuts that are probably still there. We have stayed at several Best Westerns that offer expanded continental breakfasts and they were all more than adequate. This one, ugh.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Grande
Royal Motor Inn
Royal Motor Inn
#3 of 8 in La Grande
The Mays Place Bed & Breakfast

Been to Best Western Plus Rama Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!