“What a great place to stay, clean, comfortable, economical, and friendly”
Review of Royal Motor Inn

Royal Motor Inn
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
eastern oregon
“What a great place to stay, clean, comfortable, economical, and friendly”
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Because of multiple activities going on in La Grande on the weekend of August 8th, my son and I were advised not to camp at the pool for the swim meet so I started looking for a place stay. We are on a strict budget for our swimming summer so affordability was a major concern for me and some of the other motels in La Grande were just too much for our budget. Royal Motor Inn fit the budget and it was a great place to stay. The staff was very friendly, the room was clean and comfortable. We are planning our budget for next year and plan to stay at the Royal when we are in La Grande swimming.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Alberta
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I am not one to complain, and I feel bad having to do it. The staff were very pleasant, but that is the only good quality of this Motel. I had just drove for 15 hours and it was getting late, and the online reviews were very good, so I just stopped in and got a room. It was very hot in the room and even after the A/C ran for over an hour it was still barely tolerable. It was a sleep number bed, but it was terribly uncomfortable (the only thing I thought might turn out ok with this night). The Motel is in the old (sketchy) part of town so I was not too comfortable parking here. To top it right off, when I pulled the covers back there were hairs in the bed and on the pillows...YUK!! I slept on top of the covers and morning couldn't come quickly enough so I could get out of there. If you want to try this Motel, I would strongly suggest asking to see your room first. Sorry, I don't like to give a bad review but it has to be said.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank wildrosegal
UK
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stopped in La Grande to see the Hell's Canyon National Recreational Area. The motel was in downtown almost at the end of the main road. Ruby, one of the owners, was very welcoming and friendly. Love the classic Texaco garage next door! I thought La Grande was going to be another small down that you drive by in America but it was pleasantly nice. The rooms were clean, a bit dated but it was comfortable. The only thing is the noise from the trains but they are so loud I think you can hear them wherever you are in La Grande!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank USALover88
Oregon
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Don't expect high-class accommodations, but if your room is just going to be a home base for outdoor fun, it doesn't get much better than this. Friendly staff, safe, clean and secure, nearby local restaurants and shopping. Clean enough for a young family looking for an inexpensive place to stay. Could've used more shampoo, soap and towels, but that's a minor point in an otherwise great 2-day stay.

Hint: The train noise is not nearly as bad as I've had at other places, but the white noise of the A/C unit makes the train barely audible at night.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
New River, AZ
Reviewed April 18, 2009

This is one of many road trips. I love road trips, but not corporate hotels. Royal Motor Inn in Lagrande is a treasure. It is a mom & pop operation, much cleaner and far more comfortable than any of the big names that we were forced to stay with during this trip.

I think these people, Karl & Ruby, are from India. But you do NOT smell Curry when walking in the front door. Where ever they are from, these folks are Americans, and I am delighted they are here!

You should know that the pillows are wonderful... not 12" thick that give you a cramp!

It is within walking distance of a Granolatorium that features home made Italian food, and the Long Branch for breakfast! There is also the famous restaurant on 10 street that you can walk to, but that we didn't see.

Next door is an authentic Texaco service station! It looks like new, no kidding. But it's pumped many thousands of gallons. That's worth the trip in itself.

If coming from Pendelton, take the 1st LaGrande exit. You'll see it on your right. It's downtown, but worth any two minutes out of the way.

I would not write this if it wasn't really something out of the ordinary. Corporate America... stick it!

Trig Johnston
New River, Arizona

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 28, 2009

The location felt a little unsafe like in an industrial area. The room had an odd smell and was outdated. The walls were paper thin. The room had a microwave and a fridge which were helpful and good for the price paid. The train seemed to go by every hour all night. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Seattle
Reviewed February 21, 2009

I was traveling from Seattle to Twin Falls, ID for a funeral and had no idea where to stop. I was sad and traveling alone, which made my boyfriend uncomfortable. He researched online as I drove and found reviews and pricing for Royal Motor Inn. He called and made a reservation for me after speaking with the owner for a bit. The owner was so kind that he was actually able to assure my protective boyfriend that I was going to be safe...most impressive!! When I finally arrived, I felt totally comfortable and so happy with the choice we made that I stopped again on my way back to Seattle. The rooms are $38 (bottom line), no unnecessary bells and whistles that easily double your rates. Not to mention, the killer restaurant (10 Depot Street) just 4 blocks away.

However, nothing can be perfect, so, just so you're not surprised (or think I'm getting paid for this :): It is a bit noisy; the convenience of main-road access means SOME traffic noise. The TV's are small and a little fuzzy (thank the cable-guy?) and the mattresses are a smidge uncomfortable, at least in the smoking room. But the heat works, the lights work and the FREE internet is super-fast! I think it's well worth trading in the 'ironing boards and hair dryers' on sincere people and cozy lodging!!! I will be staying here for every stop-over in the future.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo