“Hidden, Incredible!”

East Wenatchee, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden, Incredible!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Since the Dusty Spur began about three years ago this little "off main street" cafe has continued to refine itself in both its setting and its menu offerings. Emerging from an old bar on the corner of North Greenwood and S Avenue, you have to really search to find this place. But then again, finding gold requires a little work...and this place is local-cafe-food gold. The owners, Michelle and Troy are not new to the restaurant business. They know how to cook amazing food and serve it up in a very family-friendly atmosphere. When I first started eating at the Dusty Spur, just after they opened, the surroundings were functional but primitive...kind of like eating in a renovated garage. But the food was incredible, very-very reasonably priced, and always plenteous. Since then, the Dusty Spur has re-tooled its look.....with beautiful knotty pine walls and a kind of western motif.... and with this latest improvement it's also expanded the menu. But I'm happy to report that with these new surroundings, the prices didn't get all that "new" and it hasn't changed the primary goals of its owners....to present quality, local cafe fare. My favourite is the seafood, something that's hard to find in landlocked La Grande, Oregon. I cannot say enough good things about the food at this cafe... and I've eaten practically everything on the menu. Their entrees are their own creations, right down to their homemade tartar sauce. This isn't "packaged" food. On Fridays, their amazing Salmon Chowder, is a tasteful alternative to the usual clam chowder, and with a complete salmon steak meal for around 11 dollars, it's a culinary and pocketbook delight! In my opinion the steak and prime rib rivals (for a fraction of the price) any offerings from a five star restaurant. They have a "hand-cut" steak sandwich for around nine dollars, that will knock your spurs off. But I like the seafood....blackened salmon...shrimp scampi....and now oysters! My friend had the new fried oysters yesterday......that I sampled from her plate, and in both taste and aroma, found them to be amazing! I had the grilled salmon which was perfect with the chowder. The Dusty Spur attracts a large breakfast crowd and although I've eaten the breakfast there only once, it was consistent in value and taste with every other meal I've eaten there. The Dusty Spur is a true hometown, family operated delight! The service is as sincere and friendly as the food is excellent. I really appreciate their kind support for our local (or any) college students....giving them a ten percent discount! I'm sure you'll find that whatever it is you choose from their menu, finding this great little cafe in La Grande, will be well worth the effort!

• Visited September 2013