“Made me feel dirty!”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
Tigard, OR
“Made me feel dirty!”
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I will not be staying at an Americas Best Value Inn in the future! The room just had an overall dirty feeling. The carpet was stained in multiple spots, the couch had a suspicious spot and was horribly uncomfortable. Everything in the room felt greasy. The pillows were horrible and completely mismatched with different pillow covers on each pillow. They didn't even have a bed skirt on it, so you could see just how nasty the box spring was. The shower experience was probably the worst. The shower head barely spit out any water, and the one towel that was provided was see-through because it was so thin, and had a hair stuck in it! I was completely grossed out even sitting on the couch in the room. To top it off, the "free internet" was so slow I couldn't get any work done anyways! Pass on this one, check out the Best Western right next door!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Central Coast CA
Reviewed May 15, 2009

The cleanliness of this place was less than average. If you look a little, you see too much. Front desk staff was good, the rooms were spacious, but....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Portland
Reviewed October 19, 2008

I stayed at the Sandman when I was taking a cross country road trip and I must say it was the cleanest/nicest place I stayed during my month long adventure. All of the employees were very friendly and had excellent customer service skills! My room was very clean and tidy! Even more impressive my bathtub was white and sparkly! I was more than impressed when upon my checkout the manager herself asked me how my stay was and if there was anything I felt they could improve upon. I would recomend this hotel to any one! Happy travels!

• Liked — The cleanliness!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Oregon
Reviewed September 26, 2008

As someone who has worked at hotels in the past, I can honestly say that the America's Best Value Inn is far above average. The staff was extremely helpful and was able to cater to all of my requests.

When I checked into my room, I was very pleased with the cleanliness of it. In fact, my room was cleaner than many upper-end hotels that I have stayed at in the past.

I was also very pleased with the continental breakfast offered. There was a variety of cereal, toast, donuts, juice and coffee. The breakfast closed at nine o'clock but the manager was gracious enough to allow the breakfast room to remain open to accomodate me and a few other guests who didn't wake up early enough. She was very polite and made us feel like we were very welcome to enjoy the breakfast after hours.

All-in-all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is staying in La Grande, OR. If you are looking for a place to stay that won't break the bank and yet be very clean and comfortable, this hotel should be your first choice.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, friendliness of staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Washington State
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Worst was the inadequate response after I had issues. The manager did not return my email until I contacted the national chain. Then, she more or less repeated what I told her had happened and in essence said, "That's the way we do it." I will never go back and cannot recommend it to anyone.

They didn't change the sheets when we stayed two days...but still charged us the same. I was told I could have gone to the desk and asked for clean sheets. At 11 PM when I was getting into bed? They obviously didn't clean the rooms at all as there was old coffee still in the pot and no new grounds for the second day. Again, I could have gone to the desk. You have to go ASK for the room to be cleaned?!? One draw to this hotel was that I needed internet access. The internet was down and her answer was "It was a weekend." Great. But, of course, the cost stayed the same.

No offer to refund a dime and no perception they really cared whether our stay was decent or not. Never again...or at an America's Best Value Inn, either. They obviously have no control over their franchises.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — poor service and lack of maid service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Tualatin, Oregon
Reviewed December 30, 2007

I was just relocating to La Grande from New York and needed a place that was both reasonable and was able to provide a comfortable room for over two weeks. After searching through many travel sites, I settled on the Sandman Inn: It was cheap, centrally located and had fairly decent reviews.
Check-In was easy, the clerk tried to upgrade my room for my extended stay, but was unable (that was nice an unexpected), told me that though there was no microwave in my room, I could use the one in the breakfast area and that once a week I would need to re-check-in...not a problem.
Being a cheap price, I was not expecting much of a room, but was pleasantly surprised when I found a large clean room and free wireless internet! The room smelled clean, appeared clean and stayed that way througout my stay.
Since there was no kitchenette, I had to eat at the plethora of restaurants (aside from the many fast food places nearby) that were within a mile - as everything in La Grande is. A few of them will deliver, as noted by Dominos on the keycard.
The only drawbacks to a lower end hotel are thinner walls and residents with no respect for others. While the walls are a bit thin, you won't hear the next room unless they have the TV all the way up or are doing acrobatics on the bed. And people being noisy, banging doors and yelling, that can happen anywhere, but does happen more at the cheaper of places.
Another drawback, but is fixable, is the fact that having a room on the street-side of the building also puts you on the side where the fast food establishments are, thus their high powered, brightly lit signs can be seen at 1am in the morning. If your curtains are not 100% closed, expect to be able to see things in your room as though it were daylight outside.

Pros: Convenient to highway, downtown, food and shopping. Clean rooms, free internet, a pool, continental breakfast and plenty of parking.

Cons: Clientelle not always respectful of others (hotel could do better job of controlling such people) and bright lights from fast food places getting into room.

• Liked — Clean rooms, great location.
  • Disliked — Neighbors being rude.bb
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank ukscots
Oregon
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Booked the room online for three days. When we checked in, we told them we would only be staying for two.

They said that since we made our reservations online, we would have to change them online. They did have a lobby computer, but someone was playing on the internet and didn't show any indication of caring that we needed it for hotel business, so we checked in with the intention of using the computer as soon as it was free.

The next morning, we tried to change our reservation online, but since we had already checked in, we couldn't make changes. Front desk staff were clueless as to how to resolve the situation and so we are stuck paying for an extra night.

Not a very customer friendly reservations system!

Also, toilet clogged first thing in the morning. Went downstairs to report it and their reply was "um, maintenance isn't here right now, did you need me to call them". "No, I just think I will knock on my neighbor's door all night and ask to use their bathroom"

Speaking of neighbors, beginning at 6 am, they went in and out of their room constantly and slammed the door every time. We were really tired and hadn't had any sleep all night becuase of the noisy fridge (sounded like someone knocking on our door every half hour) in our room and the crying baby next door.

Pillows and bed were really hard and made both of our backs and necks sore.

OK to stay if you don't need to sleep or use a bathroom!

• Liked — like?
  • Disliked — service, reservations system, rooms,
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Royal Motor Inn
Royal Motor Inn
#3 of 8 in La Grande
The Mays Place Bed & Breakfast

Been to Americas Best Value Sandman Inn? Share your experiences!