“Very good value for the price”

Americas Best Value Sandman Inn
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in La Grande
Kennewick, Washington
“Very good value for the price”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Convenient, comfortable, clean and roomy. Certainly a very good value for the price. Not the most fantastic breakfast, but again, can't complain for the price. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Book through agent if taking the Eagle Cap Excursion train. 1st floor allows pets. 2nd floor does...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
gm.silg, General Manager at Americas Best Value Sandman Inn, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Thank you for posting your review, we appreciate your taking the time to give us your comments.
Our staff works hard to provide you with the best possible accommodations for the most reasonable rates. We appreciate your business and look forward to once again being of service to you during your next visit to the La Grande area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
cherry city, oregon
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I called the Best Western and was greeted by a grimy sounding woman who told me they were sold out. So I called the Sandman and was greeted by a friendly voice confirming they had availability. I booked two rooms for two nights. I was a little nervous as the reviews were all over the place and the name was a little odd to me. We arrived at La Grande and could clearly see the hotel's large sign from I-84. We had an easy check in with a kind staffer (woman with tattoos). We opted to stay on the second floor since the first floor is pet friendly. There was no elevator so something to keep in mind if you have awkward luggage. My room (212) was clean and roomy - your typical business travel hotel room. And what more can you ask for than clean?! About 7:30pm we decided to change our travel plans and were able to cancel our second night with no problems. I didn't notice the highway noise in my room even though we were close to it. We didn't try the continental breakfast - went to Joe and Sugars downtown for a nice local breakfast. And ate at Mamacita's for a lunch and a dinner which I highly recommend. (Request to add this restaurant to Tripadvisor has been made.) I would rate this hotel as good, perhaps a 3.5. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and would recommend to other fellow business travelers.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank oregontravelista
Thank you for your comments we appreciate your review. We are happy when you let us know of your satisfaction with our Inn and our staff works to provide you with the most comfortable and updated accommodations possible. We appreciate your business and look forward to being of service to you in the near future.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed April 2, 2011

First of all the website photos are totally misleading. Upon arrival and seeing the lobby area we knew we were in trouble. And those fears were confirmed when we entered our room. The furniture is old and mismatched, the bedding should have been retired years ago; tears in the bedspread, pillow were lumpy and the bedding did not look fresh. The room was dirty and my husband and I would not sit on anything. Not sure what could have been hiding in the carpet or mattresses. We decided there was no way we could sleep in this rooom so we returned to the front desk and I told the clerk I was not satisfied, the website is very misleading with their pictures of this property and basically the room was dirty and I wanted a refund for our two nights reservation. He did refund one night, but because we booked one night online and one directly with the hotel, we would have to go online to see about the refund for that night. I must say he was the only positive moment in this unpleasant experience.
I would never recommend this property to anyone (nor would I even thing of staying a their other properties) and beware of what you may see online when searching for accomodations in La Grande. After looking around the area we returned to Boise as I doubt you can find anything suitable in the way of accomodations in that area. Glad to be home after a waste of time for what was supposed to be an anniversary get away; round trip took 6 hours.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank JettaGem
Thank you for posting your comments we appreciate your review. We apologize for any inconvenience that you my have experienced while staying at our hotel. We take your comments seriously and use them to evaluate our product and services for future renovations and training of our staff when needed. Again we appreciate your comments and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
Redding
Reviewed September 20, 2010

The shower/toilet area smelled of urine! Ironing board caved in when ironing! Reception desk was not very polite!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank teammom78
gm.silg, Manager at Americas Best Value Sandman Inn, responded to this review, October 30, 2015
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for our motel, all of the staff enjoy reading all reviews to give us our guests opinions about our property, so we know what it is we need to work on! Thank You again for choosing ABVI La Grande for your stay!
Boardman, Oregon
Reviewed April 14, 2010

The front desk staff was SUPER friendly and accomodating during our stay, they even let us check-in 5 HOURS EARLY!!! That was amazing. We also got an extended check-out time because we were Value Club members. Our room was clean, with just a few spots on the chair and table. Our room had a king size bed, pull out couch, microwave, and fridge. The front desk was also friendly when we needed extra stuff (towels, soap, shampoo, etc...). The pool area was a good size and also had a hot tub. The pool area didn't have towels, so you have to ask for them at the front desk. Breakfast in the morning was light, but good (Consisted of pastries, juice, coffee, cereal, etc...). Will definitely stay there again, and it is close to many restaurants and a strip mall.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
UT
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Check in smooth. Room typical low budget room. Stains on carpet. Lumpy pillows. Thin blanket. Desk chair too low to use the desk, unless you like the keyboard at shoulder level. Desk chair filthy with ? what kind of stains - I don't want to know. The light over the desk was broken upon arrival and I went out to desk right after checking in to ask to have it fixed as the room is very dark. Asked the second day - was not fixed on leaving - the fourth day even after repeated requests. The continental breakfast is the most meager of anywhere I have ever stayed. The front desk does not seem to care if you are there or not. Once after room was cleaned - found there were no towels. No not one - front desk did not seem to care and unwillingly gave me a couple bath towels, one hand towel and that was all they would give me. Not a fan

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Oregon
Reviewed November 19, 2009

Total Nightmare. The front desk attendent, Anhill, gave us a room and an hour later gave another couple the same room. He proceeded to make us vacate the room we had been in for an hour, we had unmade the bed because this was at 10:30 at night, we had already used the soap and towels. When we told him this he said that the paperwork was easier for him if we moved to another room and made the other couple stay in our dirty room. We had to get out of bed and move all our belongings to another room. Over the next half hour he called our room 4 times to explain why it was easier for him that we moved and when we finally unplugged the phone so we could get some sleep he came knocking at the door. It was the worst type of "service" I have ever experienced and I will never go back. I didn't expect a great room but I did expect to not be harassed in a room we had paid for.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple