“Budget Motel with Great Value”
Review of Maverick Motel

Maverick Motel
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Klamath Falls
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Reading prior reviews, I think they all make valid points. This is a bargain motel (and there is no shortage of those in Klamath Falls) so if you set your expectations accordingly then you will be happy. Next to Downtown, short walk to a Safeway grocery store, less than ½ mile from the train station, and all the amenities you could expect – except breakfast is not that great. Fast wifi and if you like beer, next door to a brewery! The people here are all friendly and helpful. I had a King room which was a bit cramped but otherwise just fine. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank vagabond_biker
Raj P, General Manager at Maverick Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our Motel. As of January 1st, 2013 our property went under ‘New Management’ and we are working as a team to improve all areas of the motel. From room cleanliness to customer service, we are striving to give our guests a pleasant stay from the time they arrive to the time they depart. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Klamath Falls.

There are newer reviews for Maverick Motel

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Big ups to tripadvisor.com for helping us find this place, because we never would have picked it by sight. Clean, well-furnished rooms even included a small basket of water and snacks as a complimentary gift. I heard the guy at the desk tell a family he would reimburse them for a pool fee at the local public pool, since this hotel doesn't have one. Talk about hospitality - I would recommend this to any family on a budget who still like to be treated like a true guest!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Derek R
Raj P, General Manager at Maverick Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Klamath Falls!

Reviewed July 27, 2012

This place is old and run down. It looks like they are trying to put it back in shape. They have a lot of work to do. The room is dingy but clean. The bed is comfortable. The room has a refrigerator and microwave. On the downside, this might be the worst breakfast I've seen in a motel in a long time. The only cereal is microwave oatmeal that you have to bring back to your room to cook. The only pastries are pre-packaged sweet rolls. No bread. No cold cereal. No yogurt.

What makes it worse is that the owners make it seems like they are doing you a favor by, for example, getting you the key to the exercise room.

The location is convenient to downtown and the price is reasonable for what you get with the exception of breakfast.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Is it bad enough to move today? No.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank albwilson

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Very Clean, well located, very nice owner, they even give you a small gift basket in the room which I've only seen in expensive hotels. sweet place. I would very definitely chose it again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Located north end of downtown. Close to active train track and you may hear some whistling. My room with one king-size bed was located in the front half of the motel and was quite small - the bed took up most of the room. Other rooms looking out on the back portion of the motel (away from the parking lot) had two beds and seemed much larger. My wife felt the mattress was overly soft, but I had no trouble sleeping. Room was clean and came with basket of free goodies - candy bar, bottled water, etc. Wi-fi speed very good. Free local newspaper. Can't beat the combination of room, price and location - would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for two queens instead of a king bed.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed June 17, 2012

The breakfast experience was terrible, owing to the lazy attitude of the staff on duty. Nothing had been put out for us (like milk) as it ought to have been. How do you eat cereal without milk, for instance? When I asked for milk, the young Asian lady on reception initially lied to me that it was "illegal" for them to provide milk, to which I replied I'd had it at every breakfast in each motel in Oregon until then. I felt offended that she thought I was so stupid to believe such nonsense. So she went and got a huge plastic jug of fresh milk and I was able to have milk with my cereal. She then took it away, as it seems this was her personal possession. I decided I'd like a second bowl of cereal, so I then had to ring the reception bell, as the lady didn't remain in the reception area. This time I nearly got the plastic milk container thrown at me! She thumped it down hard on the reception desk as if in strong disapproval of me giving her what she no doubt considered was "extra work". Everything was a bother for her.
There were sugary items on offer too which I didn't want to have, and also fruit, but nothing to peel it with. I looked around for a knife to peel an orange. Again the lady hadn't put out any knives, so for the third time I had to ring the reception bell to alert her and get her to come to the reception desk again.
The reception area was also roasting hot, so I suggested opening the door to let some air in. Again I got nonsense from her, as she said "We're not allowed to open the door", so instead she put on the air conditioning, which is not eco-friendly as it consumes energy unnecessarily. What's the problem with opening the door? It seemed the lady receptionist was too lazy to do anything and hid behind false prohibitions.
The night before I checked in with a native Spanish-speaking receptionist whose English was really quite bad, such that I had to ask for things several times. Then there came the fiasco with the code for using the motel's free Wifi. She confused "Lodging" and "Login" and just couldn't decide which of the two was the right code! I went back to my room with the wrong code, and had to return to reception once again to see the Latino receptionist once again struggle with the two words. I'm sorry, but this is the United States, and I expect everyone in the hospitality industry to speak acceptable levels of English. This lady's was clearly below par.
Aside from these incidents, the room was rather on the small size with too little room to open a suitcase, though the free snack basket was a welcoming novelty to find on entering the room. The motel is well situated for visitors planning on going to Craker Lake though it is a good 50 miles or more away. Overall the receptionist's attitude at breakfast ruined the experience of staying here, and I won't be returning.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank levado656
Raj P, General Manager at Maverick Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our Motel. As of January 1st, 2013 our property went under ‘New Management’ and we are working as a team to improve all areas of the motel. From room cleanliness to customer service, we are striving to give our guests a pleasant stay from the time they arrive to the time they depart. I would like to apologize for your less than positive experience that you encountered during your last stay with us. We hope that you will give Maverick Motel another chance to show you what “hospitality” really means on your next trip to Klamath Falls. We look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We are staying here for two weeks. I chose this motel because of the price and based on the reviews. I would say, this is certainly no luxury motel, but it serves the purpose. I am not sure if you would call my room remodeled, as everything looks fairly worn. However, I do have dark purple walls with light purple wall in my two queen bedroom and eyeball shocking aqua in the bathroom. I have free internet. The breakfast is really more of a dry pantry breakfast with orange juice, cranberry juice. There is powdered creamer and coffee. There is oatmeal packets and packaged pastries. No fruit. That was a bit disappointing. I do have a coffee pot in my room, and I am a coffee snob, so I was able to go to the Fred Meyer Supermarket on Crater Lake Parkway and purchase good coffee, creamer, fruit, milk, wine.... enough items to fill my small refrigerator. As I said I will be here two weeks and cannot afford to eat all my meals out. I only paid $35 per night (weekly rate), so what more can I ask for.

Room Tip: Visit a grocery store and have realistic expectations.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family