“Old Fashioned American-Style Chinese Food”

Wong's Chinese Cafe
Ranked #46 of 165 Restaurants in Klamath Falls
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Years ago, Chinese food in the US, outside of a few Chinatowns, meant Cantonese, and heavy on the sauces and thickeners. Sweet and Sour Pork, Chow Mein, Egg Foo Young--this is what Chinese food was. It wasn't until the 1970's that Americans started to discover other Chinese cuisines, and tastes gravitated to Szechuan, Hunanese, and the like. Wongs is a throwback to those old-style restaurants. From the decor to the food, I felt like I was back I was back in Des Moines in the 60's.

Overall, I like the more modern take on Chinese food now available. But I enjoyed going to Wongs. The service was good, the portions large. I had food I hadn't had in years and years. For that alone, it was worth the trip.

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Have eaten here a few times and it's always good. Definitely the best Chinese restaurant in Klamath Falls.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I so wanted to LOVE Wong's. It is perfect 1950 American Style Chinese decor: the vinyl booths, the wallpaper, the lanterns. I kept expecting the cast of A Christmas Story to pop out and break into Silent Night.

The waiter was nice and attentive. I ordered the typical combination: egg foo young, chow mein, fried shrimp and tea.

The food looked delicious and heaping when it arrived. It seriously was steaming. The egg foo young had the Americanized brown gravy on it, the chow mein was on crunchy noodles and had heaps of celery and bean spouts. Perfect!

Except...it was utterly devoid of any taste. It ALL tasted exactly the same. The only way I could tell the difference was the texture. I have no idea what magic trick was able to accomplish this. Nothing had any flavor. It was like a plate of hot, colorful Styrofoam.

Wong's succeeded in making food with no flavor. I am so bummed because it is a really fun place visually.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Wong's Chinese Cafe is run by a Chinese family, who serve up huge portions of good Chinese food. Don't expect 5-star gourmet dishes that you might find in San Francisco (like Peking Duck), but rather you will find relatively simple dishes that are well-prepared, flavorful, and very affordable. The family/staff immediately recognized me as being Chinese, and struck up a conversation in their native Cantonese dialect. Of course, this had all of the regulars/locals all buzzing that if someone who was Chinese was eating in the restaurant, it must be good! LOL!

Overall, I was very happy with my meal, and I got to exercise that part of my brain which houses my dusty Chinese linguistic skills, too!

1  Thank Lyndon Q
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is our must visit restaurant every time we travel to Klamath. The Mar Far chicken is a favorite. A bit on the greasy side, but perfect comfort food.

Never disappoints!