“28 people in my group and not one complaint!!”

Russells at Wallowa Lake Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Serves Alcohol
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Serves Alcohol
Caldwell, Idaho
“28 people in my group and not one complaint!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2011

It seemed to me of the 28 people in my group almost everything on the menu was ordered. Everyone including myself thoroughly enjoyed their meal. The owner /chef came out himself to make sure everyone was satisfied. The staff made a couple of errors in their order taking (which can be expected with such a large group)but corrected them promplty and courtesly. I couldn't have been more pleased--especially since it was a last minute change to have dinner there and the staff was only give an hour or so to prepare. I read the review from the woman who had nothing nice to say and in my experience (42 years of serving the public in a very high end establishment) THEY are usually the problem!!!

• Visited August 2010
2 Thank Susanfae

Portland, Oregon
“Favorite place to eat at the head of the lake”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Whoever wrote the fries were frozen and recently thawed is absolutely wrong. I watched fresh potatoes being put through a slicer and deep-fried myself; they were delicious, some of the best I've ever had. The service was excellent as well, everyone was very nice and helpful. I've been to Russels a few times now and my favorite dishes are the salmon and the burgers. Russels is a great place to take the family after a long day of boating or hiking, I highly recommend it.

• Visited August 2010
Portland, Oregon
“big mistake going here”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We are a family with two young kids that are going out to a special dinner. We made a big mistake coming to this restaurant. From the outside it looks like it would be a fine restaurant, but as soon as you walk in that all changes. The interior of the restaurant should have given me a clue as to what's to come. The food was very low quality and high priced. The worst part was the service. The waitress was impatient when taking our order (I think she actually rolled her eyes!) and treated us very different from the people in the table next to us. All the basics were not there: provide napkins, fill the water, ask if everything is o.k. with meal, remove empty plates/bottles. I was so upset that I had to get up a wait outside so as not to make a scene in front of the family. It is not fair for us to spend our hard earned money on places like this.

3 Thank BobGPDX
Oregon
“Dry Frozen Fries, Ho Hum Hamburger!”
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We decided to try one of Wallowa Lake's oldest restuarants, which looked clean and had some interesting entrees on its menu. We tried to order the trout, which is highlighted on the menu as a meal that has made the restuarant famous. Unfortunately, it is only available on week-ends, and we were there on a Tuesday. So we went for the burgers. And added the homemade fries, which were also promoted as a Russells specialty. The burger meat was a typcial grilled frozen patty on a too dry bun. However, the fries were the big dissappointment. They were very thin and had been in the freezer too long, possibly not properly sealed, and were completely dry inside. We could not eat them no matter how much ketchup we used. We later regretted not informing the waitress, who was very friendly, of the problem with their fries. Not a good thing to ruin a highlighted menu item!

1 Thank RDH-RN