“Adequate”

Best Western John Day Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in John Day
Reviewed October 3, 2008

There isn't much to choose from in John Day, especially if you are traveling with a pet. The rooms are large, but getting a bit worn looking. Drains were slow, the exhaust fan sounded like a cement mixer, but we had adequate linens, soap, shampoo, etc. Free "sort of high speed" internet. The continental breakfast was average. There are a couple of OK restaurants within walking distance. Fine dining is not an option in John Day

I thought the rate was a bit high for what you got. We stayed at several other Best Westerns with comparable rates on this trip, and they were better. That's the problem with Best Westerns in general. Unlike the highly standardized chains like Hampton Inn, etc., the BWs are independently owned and the corporate standards are pretty loose. You never really know what to expect. That's a good reason to check TripAdvisor reviews before booking.

There are newer reviews for Best Western John Day Inn

Reviewed September 19, 2008

In the middle of nowhere this hotel was a good find. The continental breakfast was very good. This was a quiet hotel, the staff was curteous. The room was very clean. There was a vanity on the outside of the bath...which I love when you travel with others. There are things to do on the outside of town such as museums and the palentology site...about an hour away.

Reviewed September 18, 2008

We had no problems with getting the room we confirmed and the place was very easy to get to. The room was clean and large. What I found funny as hell was the "complimentary towel" that they left for us to use for whatever we wanted; it was actually just a napkin. A paper napkin. (I'll post a photo of it soon.) Plus, we were only left with half a roll of toilet paper. If you decide to stay here, make sure you request a roll of toilet paper when they give you the key to your room.

Reviewed September 15, 2008

I am extremely unhappy with my treatment at the Best Western-John Day, Oregon, and by the 800 reservations people--on 9-10-08. I had a guaranteed reservation and confirmation # but was told by the local clerk that they did not have my reservation and they were full. I arrived at 5PM, had a guaranteed reservation and had also confirmed the reservation with the 800 number the day before. After the local clerk told me that she couldn't help me, I called the 800 # and the reservationist talked with the local hmtel clerk but they refused to help me. No one with Best Western was willing to help me even find an alternative room. . We were able to book the last room at the Budget Motel, otherwise would have had to stay in the park since the next town in miles away. I will NEVER use Best Western again since you can't count on a CONFIRMATION NUMBER AND RESERVATION BEING HONORED. I think that the John Day Best Western overbooks and takes FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE!

1  Thank CurbQueen
Deborah H, General Manager at Best Western John Day Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2017

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed March 28, 2008

I called the property and was immediately greeted by a warm and friendly voice. It was the manager, Cami, and she was very accomodating in terms of my special needs.

I must say that after driving around town I was glad that I stayed at this establishment as the other hotels were all built circa 1960. This hotel has been updating with many ameneties and even had a Flat Screen in my suite!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thanks for the kind comments. I am glad to hear that you all had a good experience. Thank-you for choosing Best Western John Day Inn and we look forward to seeing you all again.

Reviewed March 25, 2008

I loved the remodel. The rooms are clean, and the beds are comfortable (the front desk staff and manager told me that they were recently changed to pillow tops!) For being more than 20 years old (once again the staff and managers were so friendly and informative) this property was in real good shape. It seems as if the owner's truly do care about this property.

Breakfast was more than I expected with eggs and waffles.

I would recommend the mexican restaurant down the street for dinner.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thanks for the nice comments. I am glad to hear that you all had a good experience. Thank-you for choosing Best Western John Day Inn and we look forward to seeing you all again.

Reviewed March 10, 2007

We reserved this motel through the Best Western web site because John Day was the only convenient stop on a long road trip. The hotel information on the web site said that pets were accepted in smoking rooms for a fee of $5 per night. When we checked in and said that we had a pet, the clerk noted that we had reserved the required smoking room, but said that the fee was $15 per night. When I protested, he said that if I could produce proof that the web site said $5, he would honor it. Fortunately, I had printed that part of the hotel description in addition to the reservation confirmation. He said that the policy had recently been changed, but the web site had not been updated; nevertheless, the information in the room still quoted the $5 fee.

The room smelled of smoke, and was badly in need of renovation. Wireless internet did not reach the room, but the wired access was adequate. There is an excellent restaurant less than a block to the east.

• Stayed: March 2007
1  Thank barbww

Been to Best Western John Day Inn? Share your experiences!