“Room smelled like smoke and shower & tub looked disgusting”

Best Western John Day Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in John Day
Vancouver, Canada
“Room smelled like smoke and shower & tub looked disgusting”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This motel should be up to a higher cleanliness standard for a Best Western. We had to buy a can of Febreez to spray the room. It was supposed to be non-smoking room so either people are smoking or it needs renovations to remove embedded wall smoke. The tub and shower needed a proper scrub with a proper cleaner. It was all streaky where previous cleaners were just left to run down the sides without removing all the dark dirt. Disappointing!

Room Tip: Try to see and sniff a room before paying and staying.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Pendleton, Oregon
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed here for a little league tournament. We had a room with 3 beds, one in a separate room. It was very clean, and the staff were all very helpful. The beds were very comfortable, and the towels were nice and thick and comfy. I hate thin, small towels! And there were enough towels for all of us; I have noticed lately that if I reserve a room for 4, and tell them there are 4 of us, I still get to the room and find 3 towels. That just annoys me! The workout room was small, but well appointed, it had everything you would need. The wifi was not great in our room, but that was not a big deal to us. All in all, this was a great place to stay, and we will stay there whenever we go to John Day.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Newhall
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Modern - Clean - Overpriced - Overpriced - for the area..
There are other modern nice motels for less but not knowing the area or town who knew.. So spend 40 dollars too much for this motel and eat at McDonalds..

Town closes at sunset - eat early - McDonalds IS open late.. Nice area.
Old logging town.. Interesting history..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Klamath Falls, Oregon, United States
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have to admit I was a little skeptical at first going staying here. But, I have to admit they exceeded my expectations. I've stayed at a lot of hotels due to my job and this one competes with some of the big chains. It is nicely decorated with granite counter tops. The beds are amazing! The bedding was nice clean white, and the flat screen tv made the other half happy. He was more happy about the biscuit and gravy for breakfast. They even let my furbabies stay (with only a $15.00 charge). Check out was at 11:00. I wasn't over charged, and my specific floor reservation was held despite having a full house. If you are going to the big JD and need someone where to stay you have to stay here! Oh and one last thing the Kcup coffee machine with Kcups for morning ROCKED!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in 112 and couldn't have been happier.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather B
Centennial, CO
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is the only place to stay in John Day in my opinion. It was very clean for being somewhat dated, the beds were comfortable and the shower never went cold in the morning even though the hotel was completely full. Parking is a bit cramped as the spaces are narrow and limited. We had to make a last minute reservation the day before our arrival and consequently paid a higher price had we booked earlier...our two queen room was $124 with tax which was high considering location in the middle of nowhere...but with limited accommodations, not surprising. The front desk staff were friendly and I was able to use the personal computer and printer available for guests to printout needed travel documents. We were on the second floor which was nice but all rooms face the parking area so that we could hear the early guests leave in the morning. Breakfast was the standard fare but served in a rather small cramped room that was overly warm with many guests eating. One last note was that the non smoking room smelled of smoke and it appears that guests smoke outside and the air is then drawn into the rooms when the a/c units are running. It was not pleasant and yet there seems little that can be done.

Room Tip: Our room did not appear to be any different than others located around the parking area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Central Point, Oregon
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This hotel appears to be the nicest hotel in town. It was an average room with average accommodations. It was $100. A night which I found to be a little steep for a midweek room of that quality. The other hotels in town also appear to average but at half the price.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Best Western John Day Inn? Share your experiences!