“Try the McDonald's or Dairy Queen Instead”

Squeeze-In Restaurant & Deck
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in John Day
Cuisines: American
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Try the McDonald's or Dairy Queen Instead”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

We were driving thru John Day on our way across Oregon and hit it at Lunchtime on a Tuesday. There were only 3 choices for lunch-- McDonalds, Dairy Queen, and this diner. Major mistake to pick this diner. Diner food is diner food but the salad was old and did not digest well, the Lasagna had no spices and seemed like it was microwaved super hot before it arrived, the french toast was stiff, flat, and tasted cheap due to the margarine spread and lousy fake syrup. I regretted eating here to the point that next time i would go hungry and make it another 3 hours down the road before eating at this place again.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank polaris22

Seattle
“Not so great for dinner”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Pretty disappointing for dinner plus a poor value for what I ended up with. The salad was iceberg lettuce that has seen better days; the mashed potatoes were pretty tasteless; the salmon (I should have known better this far from water) was a bad cut and overcooked; everything else was mediocre. The server was nice and I really wanted to like this place... I heard that they were much better, good even, for breakfast.

• Visited June 2014
Helena, Montana
“Not Homemade”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

So we ventured away from the other reviews & had dinner so that might be part of the problem. The waitress/hostess was so sweet & super quick.

They had just painted the back patio so it was all nice & clean. Eating outside is super nice, inside was older with lots of florescent lightning.

Food: my suggestion would be don't get dinner. Everything was pre- frozen then cooked up we paid $30 for a meal I would not ever cook for my husband & I at home. We eat a pretty clean diet so this was not a great meal for eating that way. The salad was just plain iceburg nothing fancy. As far as all the reviews go about the pie not sure what they were talking about. No fruit pies just two creams that had been sliced & looked like sitting in the cold display all day. My stomach did not feel good after this meal but again I have to eat pretty clean for health reasons so all this non homemade food probably shocked my system.

I would say the restaurant should just focus on the meals that they are really good at. If they did that nobody would miss the dinners.

Again the waitress/hostess was so sweet I don't like giving a mediocre reviews but a review like this would have really helped us tonight.

• Visited May 2014
Nampa, Idaho
“First place we saw with parking, lucky us.”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Excellent food with gluten free options. The waitress was exceptional, friendly and helpful. We were on our way to Redmond and hungry. This was a lucky stop. The sandwiches were served on gluten free bread and the sweet potato fries were so tasty.
I liked the old west, small town atmosphere.
We will be sure to stop again the next time we take this route from Idaho to the Oregon coast.

• Visited May 2014
John Day, Oregon
“The food is consistently good”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The restaurant has changed hands/management a couple of times, and that makes me a little nervous. Yet the last two times we've been there, the food has been very tasty. My husband's last stop was meeting a friend for breakfast last weekend. His Denver Omelet was delicious, and the hash browns were dry and crispy, not oily. The staff there are very friendly and helpful. I've met the chef and he is cheerful and has a great attitude. It shows in his food. Sometimes for holiday weekends they will have brunches too. I encourage everyone to enjoy the Squeeze Inn.

• Visited April 2014