“Descent/OK”

Grubsteak Mining Co.
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in John Day
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Seattle
“Descent/OK”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I didn't see the other reviews, though I wish I had. This is a small town, so not many choices here, plus I have a lot of food allergies. If they had a kid's menu we weren't offered one for our kid. Waitress wasn't mean, but she was just neutral. I had the prime rib, which was actually pretty good. My husband had the ribs, which he shared with our child, and neither one of them liked them. They didn't fall off the bone, it had a tough membrane, and neither my husband or child liked the sauce much. Thankfully I had ordered the largest cut of prime rib, so I shared it with them, who agreed it was tender and had good flavor.

• Visited May 2014

“Don't go here”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

I thought this place could not be as bad as it was reviewed..but I was wrong! Worst ever is correct!
Steak was flavorless and grisseled. Veggie(corn) was microwaved beyond taste. Red wine was vinegar! Salad was edible but boring.
I felt sorry for the waitress. She was totally embarrassed but friendly.
Do not eat here! DQ burger would be better from across the street!

Visited May 2014
Corvallis, Oregon
“Worst meal ever!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We ate here Monday evening with my sister and her husband to celebrate her birthday a couple days early. Expecting a wonderful steak in cattle country, I ordered a steak med. rare. What I got was a chunk of meat with a big strip of gristle down the middle--cut very thin on one end and a chunk on the other. Definitely not restaurant quality. The salmon soup appeared to be a cup of broth with oil floating on the top. No one at our table would even taste it. We told the waitperson that it was not eatable and she asked if we wanted her to take it away. We said yes; she did not offer a replacement. The rice pilaf came in a small dish and was undercooked to the point that it had to be chewed if eaten. Another small dish contained canned corn. It was honestly the worst meal we have experienced in a restaurant. Although we sent back the soup and rice, the bill was not adjusted. The steak went home with my sister for their dog. The waitress may have been new and untrained. She did not clear the soup/salad dishes from the table and when she brought the main course, we had to remove and hold the dirty plates while she placed the entree. It was a big disappointment! In fairness, we have eaten at this restaurant previously and it was not too bad. There are certainly a couple of good places to eat in John Day; one was not open that evening.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Hazel S
Outwest
“Average place to eat ”
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Just an average place to eat. Prime rib was not worth the price we paid. But it one of the few places open on Sunday. The service was good and the place looked clean.

John Day
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cozy Place! Perfect food.”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I am here visting a friend and hunting. I found this place using Trip Advisor and tried it. The place was clean and NO smoke smell at all. I had a Biscut and Gravy breakfast with two eggs and hasbrowns with coffee for $7.45. Food was served fast and tasted great. A lot of times the gravy is too salty or too bland, this was great sausage gravy and the biscut was huge and fluffy....

Great place!