“Okay Dinner but Nothing Special”
Review of The Outpost

The Outpost
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in John Day
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Centennial, CO
“Okay Dinner but Nothing Special”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This is probably the best place in town but that is not saying much. We were seated reasonably fast in the half filled dining room, but found the service to be slow and without much interest. We had to ask for water and wait for salads before having a warm pizza delivered to our table. It had been sitting for several minutes before being served. I can understand food being delayed when the place is busy but they were not busy. However, the pizza was a combination and it was loaded with meats. My wife had an Italian soda which she said was great. The pizza was fairly priced but the small dinner salads were out of line at $3.99. The restaurant is located right next door to the Best Western on main street.

• Visited May 2013

Beaverton, Oregon
“Good food and reasonable prices”
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We had an early dinner there while traveling. My husband had the diablo burger with sweet potato fries and I had the garlic sirloin with a baked potato. The steak also had a good-size serving of fresh steamed broccoli and some garlic toast. I wish we had room for dessert! They make all of their desserts and the dessert case looked great. The portions are large, the food is freshly prepared, and the price is reasonable. The restaurant is very clean and the decor gives it a nice feel.

• Visited April 2013
Homedale, Idaho
“Very good dinner”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I had a very good experience at dinner. My steak was cook the way I requested and the service was reasonable. There were several large tables that were being served at the same time I was. At breakfast the next morning service was slow and I seemed to get lost in the crowd. I expected bigger portions based on the cost of breakfast.

Visited March 2013
Fox Island, Washington
“Probably the Best”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is probably the best place to eat in John Day, but don't expect too much. It is casual dinning. We sat in the bar, where the atmosphere was nicer. Dinning room seemed a little to much like a Cracker Barrell. Service was good, but food was so so. We split a very good salad, and split the entree, which was called Alice's Chicken. Not what we expected and sort of bland. Would eat there again, but order something different for the entree.

• Visited November 2012
Portland, Oregon
“Good American food”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

The waiter was excellent, very attentive to our needs. Very helpful with selecting items off the menu. Very friendly staff. The apple crisp was out of this world

• Visited September 2012