“Good Food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We both ordered different salads for our dinner and both were very good -- cobb and cranberry/apple. Would certainly eat here again. Prices were reasonable. Place was large with lots of locals and tourists.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have enjoyed dining at the Outpost for over six years. The owners and wait staff are always pleasant and accomodating to service beyond the meal. The menu provides for the quick and simple to the gormet style of home style cooking, pizza and wonderful breakfast. This is a place for the community to meet and inviting to the passerby.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have to admit John Day was not my favorite town while touring Oregon. Bad hotel and hit this restaurant when it was extremely busy. I think it had potential for good food?!
When we first walked in a woman who really didn't say anything ushered us to a booth. She threw our menues on the table and they were gross. They had not been wiped off and were filthy. We were about to leave, but decided to go and sit at the bar area, grab a drink and go back and try and sleep in our motel that was disgusting. They also served food in the bar so we stayed, since this was really the only thing open in John Day other than McDonalds. Our bartender/waitress was swamped and seemed to be overwhelmed. She was a little harsh at first. Once things mellowed out though, she was very kind.
I ordered the French Dip, my partner a grilled cheese. My Dip was tasteless. The meat seemed to have been cooked or recooked to the point of paper texture. The bun was stale and I barely received any au jui'! Seriously, I didn't even have enough to dip my sandwich after my first bite. The grilled cheese was on think bread which was browned but the cheese was not melted! Not a good sign!! The martini was top shelf with three huge olives. We had more than one to brave our room!!
The place had a lot of locals in in and a BMW Motorcycle club rally was in town so it was loud. It had a very friendly atmosphere but the food just didn't cut it! Then again, neither did John Day!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Good thin crust with lots of veggies - and it didn't take a long time.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stopped here on the way through town and both ordered the Cobb Salad. Very large and tasty with the only flaw being the avocado was a bit beyond it's prime. Clean restaurant with lots of locals (always a good sign!).

Been to The Outpost? Share your experiences!