“One of the best restaurants in the Rogue Valley”
Review of Gogi's Restaurant

Gogi's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: European, French, Contemporary, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2009

On our recent visit to Gogi's, we experienced some of the best service and cuisine we had the pleasure of enjoying in a long time. And we had just returned from a cruise! My wife and I both had Ahi tuna. It was probably the best Ahi we have ever had and the presentation was extremely artful. We highly recommend Gogi's to anyone seeking wonderful food and service in a relaxing atmosphere in the historic town of Jacksonville, recently named one of the top ten small towns in America by Frommer's "Budget Travel."

Reviewed July 7, 2009

The restaurant was quiet and elegant. Excellent service and the absolutel best seared ahi tuna I have ever had. Presentation was beautiful. Service was excellent.

Reviewed March 29, 2009

By far the best restaurant in the Jacksonville Medford area. We keep coming here every chance we get. Great food (fresh and creative flavors) and wonderful service. Plus wonderful wines!

Reviewed February 17, 2009

I wanted to take my girlfriend out for a special Valentine's dinner, and decided a trip out to Jacksonville would make for a romantic evening. I e-mailed the restaurant to make a reservation, and they called me back a few days later. I asked for a nice, private table and made a later reservation just so I could get a nice table. When I arrived the place was fairly empty (many open tables) and they still sat me right in the middle of the place with another table on either side of me. (within a foot on one side)

Thus began one of the most dissapointing evenings of my life. The waiter came to the table and was very aloof and seemed disinterested. They had a special Valentine's menu, which surprised me because I love the regular menu and was not told there would be anything different when making my reservation. When ordering my girlfriend ordered the beef tenderloin, medium well, and the waiter rolled his eyes and looked at her and said "really?!?" very rudely just to make the point that she didn't know what she was talking about. I know it is unorthodox to order a filet mignon well done, but if that's the way she wants it then bring it to her. I ordered the duck with a soy sauce glaze.

The soup came and was a simple tomato bisque. It was fine, but I don't consider tomato soup something "special" for Valentine's Day. The next course I had a romaine salad with a lemon dressing. The dressing was very sour and overpowered the light flavors of romaine lettuce and artichoke hearts. Really I could taste nothing but bitter/sour lemon.

At this point I ordered a glass of Cabernet to have with my duck. The waiter again rolled his eyes at me, I'm assuming because I ordered a lowly glass of wine rather than an entire bottle. When the wine did arrive, it was old and stale. (obviously was an old bottle, I guess they didn't want to open a new one for me)

Finally the entrees arrived. To start with the beef tenderloin was done properly and my girlfriend liked it very much. Unfortunately the duck was not even cooked close to properly. I understand duck is often cooked medium rare/rare, I have ordered it dozens of times in other restaurants, but this was completely raw just under the skin all the way to the bone. I ordered a leg and thigh, and the thigh had been cut off, leaving just the bone sticking out of the leg. It was so raw I couldn't even cut the meat. It was served on a bed of rice noodles and soy sauce. The noodles were so over cooked they were more of an over-salty soup. I ate what I could, but just wanted to leave as quickly as possible.

The waiter asked us if we wanted dessert, when we said no and asked for the bill, he again rolled his eyes at us and stormed off to get the bill. The cost turned out to be $98. The price does not bother me, if I had gotten a good meal I would have been more than happy to pay it.

I could not have been more disapointed in an overall experience. The service as appallingly bad, and food followed suit. The only thing that saved the experience was a walk down to Bella Union for dessert, while we listed to great live music.

2  Thank SoCoastie
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I ate at Gogi's on February 15, 2009, as a late Valentine's Day dinner. We had been very excited to dine there all week as we've heard nothing but good things about them. I have to say that the experience was somewhat disappointing and not worth the money.

We began with an appetizer of cream of asparagus soup with white truffle oil. I found it a little bitter and the asparagus taste was very subdued. My husband liked it better than I did.

Next we ordered the grilled Romaine salad, which is supposed to be the chef's favorite and is apparently very popular. The wedge of Romaine was bitter, especially toward the root-end. There was plenty of Parmesan and a delicious piece of baked cheese. While I liked the smoky taste imparted by the grilling, my husband was less keen on it. He finished the salad but said that he would not order it again.

We both ordered the rack of lamb. It came out nicely presented, wrapped in puff pastry on top of mashed potatoes, with some grilled asparagus. However, it's my opinion that it is a mistake to wrap the lamb in puff pastry. The pastry gets soggy and unappetizing. Lamb of this quality doesn't need this adornment and the pastry just adds extra calories. It was a lot of work to get to the lamb. The mashed potatoes were pretty mundane and the asparagus had been a little over-grilled. Finally, there was a large, grey, piece of onion just sitting on the plate that wasn't at all appealing.

We had the Tahitian Vanilla Bean ice cream for dessert. A very small quantity of ice cream arrived, along with a huge raisin and currant cookie, partially dipped in chocolate. The cookie was pretty firm and hard to cut with a spoon, especially on the chocolate parts. My husband remarked that he hadn't had to work so hard at eating dinner for quite some time. I recommend more ice cream, and smaller cookie.

Service was adequate, but our waiter seemed rushed and disinterested.

All in all, the food was okay, but not worth $106 (we didn't drink any alcohol). There are better places to go to in the Rogue Valley.

2  Thank FoodGroupie9