“We will go back.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jacksonville Inn Dining House

Jacksonville Inn Dining House
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Jacksonville
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Stockton, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We will go back.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

The entire experience was wonderful. The best wine list we have ever seen. The service and food were wonderful. The desserts were so impressive it was hard to make a choice.

Visited April 2014

Medford, Oregon
“Absolutely Amazing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

I dined at the Jacksonville Inn restaurant for a very romantic special occasion. The wait staff was absolutely wonderful, and the ambiance was great! The downstairs dining room is dark, intimate, comfortable, and feels luxurious. This is truly a fine restaurant. Their wine list is very impressive, and is 74 pages long. From seating to finish, it was one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed. The pianist was very good, too. I had the veal scaloppini and it was the best veal I've ever had. Other plates on the table were the herb encrusted salmon, filet mignon with Portobello mushrooms, and the New York Strip. All of the dishes were fantastic. The bill was large, but for the meal and the ambiance, it was worth it. In fact, everything in consideration, the bill was reasonable. I will definitely be returning to the Jacksonville Inn Dining House, hopefully soon!

USA
“This is not fine dining by any stretch”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

So the first question was: What is the special occasion?

That inquiry tends to suggest diners splurge on the restaurant only for major events. However, the food and decor does not support this idea. We had actually planned on going to another restaurant when we walked by the Jacksonville Inn. We liked the brick entrance of the Inn and went in on a friend's recommendation. For us, it was just a plain Saturday dinner.

FIrstly, the interior looks like it was refreshed in 1970 and not a cent as been spent on it since. But that was not a major factor.

Service was good. This seems like a place with loyal customers. I'm guessing the chef caters to the dedicated (and older) crowd of regulars. Friendly staff for sure.

Had the food even been average, we would likely return. However, the food was terrible. We ate a few bites and left the rest behind. That rarely happens. Usually we will still eat okay food until we are full. This food was not seasoned, not prepared with any style, and seemed to be stuck in a cuisine of 1970 or a retirement home.

My wife's vegetable risotto was about 90% vegetables with a few grains of rice sprinkled about the plate. Risotto should be creamy and rich; this was under seasoned and could have been your standard rice, not the required arborio rice. The top of a celery stalk was planted in the middle of the plate. Embarrassing.

My steak was chosen for the stuffed mushroom garnishment. Three shriveled, plain button mushrooms were stuffed with a grainy blue cheese and were so tasteless, I ate half of one.

The food was not expensive but I can't give it a good value if the food was that bad.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
SadieLE, Owner at Jacksonville Inn Dining House, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
My wife and I have owned the Jacksonville Inn for 38 years. From day one, we have asked our customers if they are celebrating "anything special this evening." We have always done this because we want to do something extra for people who are celebrating special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries. This is certainly not to imply that our guests only dine with us on special occasions. We have guests who dine with us anywhere from a few times a week to weekly and/or monthly.
The Jacksonville Inn is a historic Inn built in 1861 and restored in 1967. A historic property such as the Inn requires constant maintenance and upgrading, which costs several thousand dollars every year. While doing so, we make every effort to retain the historic integrity of the property to coincide with the entire town, which is a designated National Historic Town.
I work seven days a week, and I am almost always on the premises during dining hours. I would like to have discussed with Michael the disappointment he experienced at the time of its occurrence. Had he asked for the owner or manager, I would have done whatever was necessary to satisfy him at that time. I eat the Garden Vegetarian Risotto on a regular basis, and I do not recognize the dish that was described by Michael. The steak was a top sirloin that we had been offering for several weeks as a lower-priced alternative to the more expensive filet mignon, prime rib, and New York steaks. To my knowledge, we have not received any other complaints on either of these dishes.
Admittedly, we never have been nor will we ever be perfect; but we make every conceivable effort to satisfy every guest who patronizes the Jacksonville Inn.
Jerry Evans, Owner-Manager

Our Executive Chef Dana reviewed Michael's comments, and I have included herewith her responses:
As Executive Chef of the Jacksonville Inn, I take great pride in the food we serve and always do my best to serve quality dishes. I am very sorry that you and your wife were disappointed with your meals at The Inn. Our Garden Vegetable Risotto is listed as one of our healthier menu options and is designed for Vegetarian, Vegan, or health-conscious diners. As such, we are using a bountiful supply of fresh vegetables and are omitting the cream, butter, and cheese that one might find in many risotto dishes. We use nothing but true Arborio rice in the preparation. Of course, we still expect it to be well seasoned and properly prepared; and we are sorry that it did not meet your wife's expectations. She might have preferred the creamy lemon risotto that accompanies our Parmesan Crusted Halibut, as it is prepared in a more traditional manner. Regarding the mushrooms on your top sirloin, I can only say that they are not advertised as any special variety of mushrooms. We have received many compliments on these blue cheese stuffed mushrooms, and I am sorry that the taste was not to your liking.
All in all, we generally receive very positive feedback on our food from our customers, and I do hope you and your wife will give us another opportunity to demonstrate why we enjoy a long-time reputation as a fine-dining establishment that takes great pride in the food served.
Chef Dana
Central Point, Oregon
“Great atmosphere, great food, great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

Went to Jville Inn for birthday dinner. Portobello pepper filet is awesome! Service was terrific! It actually felt like they wanted us there. I would highly recommend Jacksonville Inn for dinner.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
oregon
“Always excellent and a home away from home for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

The owner and staff are always there for you. What a restaurant should be! Kitchen is always willing to modify order to customer's dietary requirements. A pleasure to to sit among friends especially at the Bistro!

• Visited February 2014