“Birthday dinner”

Aloha, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Were there for a catered birthday dinner, accomodations had to be made for food allergies, but everything was great. Are going to return with family for another try ala carte next visit...

Visited February 2013

Grants Pass, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best German Food in Oregon!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is one of the best restaurant experiences in Oregon. It is out of the way if you are travelling down Interstate 5, but it is well worth the trip. The German food is outstanding and the atmosphere is great. There is a wonderful selection of German beer. It is a nice family atmosphere. If you are around for the Holidays, it is very "Christmassy". The restaurant was built in an old schoolhouse.

• Visited December 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
“Outstanding German ambience and cuisine”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

After a week of rafting down the Rogue river, my survivors and myself spent a splendid day sampling some of the local vineyards and settling into a B&B in Jacksonville to chill until our flight out of Medford the next day. Jacksonville is a picturesque little town and we enjoyed walking around the historical sights as the afternoon waned. Quite by accident, in the late afternoon, we noticed a few signs indicating that there was a local German restaurant nearby. We eventually found it to be a discrete establishment that had taken resident in a "re-tasked" high school building. Since it was close to dinner, we took a chance, went in and were seated out on the biergarten. It was wonderful, especially after being seated into the pleasant biergarten in the back. The food and beer were excellent, the service was friendly and the ambiance was sublime. It was a jewel and a fine end to a fine day. I highly recommend it.

• Visited July 2012
Jacksonville, Oregon
“A quiet Monday”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

It seems the best time for a quiet meal happens to be on a Monday. That's when everyone is mostly at home watching a game and there is not a big crowd at the restauraunt. As usual the kids get chicken nuggets or something and we enjoy our German food. But do request a reservation to guarantee a spot after 6pm.

• Visited January 2013
Medford, Oregon
“Has Promise, Needs Polish”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I took my wife here for our anniversary hoping for a good experience as I like German food very much (my grandmother and great grandmother, both German, fixed me lots of wonderful food as a child).
What we got was a very mixed bag in both food and service.
Foodwise, I ordered Weisswurst (white sausage) with a side of potato salad and sauerkraut. My wife ordered a pretzel (one of her favorite things), and the same sides.

First, the good: The Weisswurst tasted wonderful, as did the sauerkraut. The dessert pastries in the shop attached are to die for!

The unexpected: The potato salad was not the German potato salad I am used to. It was a rather plain one made with (my guess here) mustard, vinegar and a little sugar. The version I am used to adds bacon bits and carmelized onions for a much deeper flavor.

The bad:
1. My wife wanted a cheese sauce to dip her pretzel in. The waitress said they had none, and could not make any.
2. The pretzels salt was all in one glump in one place on the pretzel, leaving most without salt and, well, you get the picture.
3. The Weisswurts is usually served in a light broth, simmered just below boiling and served skinned. Mine was not in a broth, was COLD inside and barely warm outside, and not skinned. As we were not given a sharp knife, and a request did not produce one (she just never brought it) skinning it was not the easiest task.
4. The potatos in the salad varied from cooked to mush to near raw. Not consistant at all.
5. The service was slow to take the order, slow or forgot requests, and slow to produce the check.

As a side note, we did arrive at opening, but no excuse really as a good restaurant should be ready to go.

In summary, they have good recipes, but they lacked the skill or will to properly execute them on this day, and service was not that good either. Not sure if I will give them another try.

• Visited June 2012